• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What SHOULD the Browns do with #12 overall?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty widely accepted and assumed that the Browns will go with Myles Garrett #1 overall and will not be trading out of that spot.

The curiosity comes in at #12 overall. Most mock drafts have them taking either Watson or Trubisky in that spot depending on which one is available. For this little scenario, lets assume they both are as are all the other QBs in the draft. Lets also assume OJ Howard is available since I see some mocks with the Browns taking him at 12.

1 - Which of the 3 is your guy if you had to choose?

2 - How much in draft capital would you send to New England if they offered Jimmy G?

3 - Who is your surprise pick that if that person fell to #12, throw the rest of the plan out the window and take him?

4 - Would you be willing to move up in the draft from #12?

1. Personally, I think I'm coming around to the idea of taking Howard at #12. I don't think either QB is worthy of that #12 spot and Howard projects to be a freak playmaker and difference maker.

2. I would be willing to part with #12 overall straight up or some package of #12 and either a later round pick this year or maybe even an early round next year. I wouldn't budge for more than that.

3. If either Jonathan Allen or Leonard Fournette fell to #12, I'd throw things out the window and grab them.

4. If I'm the Browns, I'm not moving up to take anyone from #12 and I might even entertain the possibility of trading down to acquire more picks if Howard is off the board and I think the QBs will still be available later.

1...Neither of those QBs...Howard is top notch, but if I were going to take a TE, I'd trade back and add another 2nd rounder and target Njoku.

Else, I would get the big DT, Allen to pair with Shelton. If he's gone Marlon Murphy, or Mike Williams.

2...I would not make a straight up trade #12 for a guy with 2 or 3 NFL starts...just wouldn't do it...NE would have to throw in a 3rd rd pick, worst case 4th. Truthfully I would roll with Os for this yr, but use some of my stock pile of picks to trade back into 20s and take one of the top 4 remaining QBs as insurance or most likely just wait to see who is there at 33.

3...Agree with you 100%

4...Jamal Adams is the only guy I would trade up from 12 to get...can play in the box, in coverage and lay the wood.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
They have enough picks. It is time for them to quit trading down and focus on quality over quantity. They should take a QB at twelve. There will probably be at least one QB off the board by then (Jets) and maybe 2 (SF). And now Houston will likely draft one.
They fixed their O-Line. Draft a QB, let him sit for 6 or 8 games then throw him in. Use second round picks on RB and WR.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they traded down, or at least tried too. They've already shown they want to acquire as many draft picks as possible(Osweiler trade). Trading the 12th to move down in the 1st and acquire either a 2nd or a future 1st rounder is what they should do. If I were them, I'd tank again this year, then take Darnold(USC QB) in 2018.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have enough picks.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking. You had teams like the Rams and Niners accumulate boatloads of picks and it didnt get them squat.

At some point, you need to actually draft all pro players that can win games.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have enough picks. It is time for them to quit trading down and focus on quality over quantity. They should take a QB at twelve. There will probably be at least one QB off the board by then (Jets) and maybe 2 (SF). And now Houston will likely draft one.
They fixed their O-Line. Draft a QB, let him sit for 6 or 8 games then throw him in. Use second round picks on RB and WR.

They do have a ton of picks, but trading down is still not a bad thing if they can get comparable talent and use those picks to maneuver the board as you say to get quality. Part of the issue with taking a QB at 12 is are you really getting quality?

Secondly do you see enough differential in these QBs...if you do...I agree take one @ 12.

For me, I'd go ahead and give Osweiler the keys for '17...the top 4 guys I think are all pretty much in the same basket, none are ready for the keys yet....personally I think Webb is not that far behind if at all as a potential '18 starter and can probably be had with 33.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dirty little secret here is that is actually Kizer, not Mahomes.
Imo, I feel like you can almost do something like this:

Most Upside
Kizer
Watson
Mahomes
Trubisky
Peterman
Kayya
Most Pro Ready

Almost as if the two ideas balance out all of the QB prospects. They don't, though. You dont really want a pro ready backup.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the BPA. If that's not a QB they can still get a good QB in a later round.

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C-TM68pVoAAG5h-.jpg:large

Tradition

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns trade up they're stupid... Keep your picks and stock pile, don't give up picks so you can move up and possibly get a bust... The more picks you get, the better chance you can find a gem ...

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they traded down, or at least tried too. They've already shown they want to acquire as many draft picks as possible(Osweiler trade). Trading the 12th to move down in the 1st and acquire either a 2nd or a future 1st rounder is what they should do. If I were them, I'd tank again this year, then take Darnold(USC QB) in 2018.
I agree with this. IMO I would go either best defensive player on the board. But lean towards grabbing John Ross if he's on the board. They did lose their top wr. They could take cook if he's there and upgrade at RB. And draft at WR later its a pretty deep draft on WR;s CB's and a few other spots.

Next years QB class even past Darnold is deeper as far as talent imo. Worst case they could have a shot at Saquon Barkley and a QB next year.With a stop gap at QB this season

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sell the 1st overall and 12th overall for $25M, buy a pontoon boat full of Cocaine and hookers, and switch life expectancy to 48 hours.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Tubinsky he is an Ohio guy and best QB avail in a QB light draft. If would only trade up if Lattimore or Foursette fall to around 10 I would say the Bills would do a deal.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am the Browns, Garrett, Howard make sense to me then grab Davis Webb from Cal, and get a QB coach. Webb IMO has a lot of upside.

Was with you until Webb. If they believe in Trubisky, go get him. If they wait beyond #12 (and the top 3-4 are off the board), you're looking at guys that won't beat out Kessler IMO (unless you strike gold with a late flier on damaged goods like Kelly).

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was with you until Webb. If they believe in Trubisky, go get him. If they wait beyond #12 (and the top 3-4 are off the board), you're looking at guys that won't beat out Kessler IMO (unless you strike gold with a late flier on damaged goods like Kelly).
Turbisky is no better than Webb in fact most feel and I agree with a year or two Webb will be the better QB in this draft. Turbisky is a project QB as is Webb no way I take either of them in the top 15.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should trade back out of 1 ( if they can find a taker ), then take OJ Howard at 12 and one of the top 3 running backs with the other lower first round pick. Then you'll have at least 1 extra pick on top of that.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should trade back out of 1 ( if they can find a taker ), then take OJ Howard at 12 and one of the top 3 running backs with the other lower first round pick. Then you'll have at least 1 extra pick on top of that.
Makes sense and then grab a kidd like Webb. I don't man I just do not see a QB in this draft that I feel is NFL ready and if a kid is not NFL ready I don't know how you take him so early.

If I go to the produce stand to a Pear and all the pears are bruised and coated in fruit flies I do not buy a pear.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense and then grab a kidd like Webb. I don't man I just do not see a QB in this draft that I feel is NFL ready and if a kid is not NFL ready I don't know how you take him so early.

If I go to the produce stand to a Pear and all the pears are bruised and coated in fruit flies I do not buy a pear.
Only 2 guys I think are eventual starters are Watson and Mahomes. Neither of them are ready now and even if they were the Browns have little to no skill position talent. If you take Howard and a quality back you can start building some talent where you need it. Browns don't need a QB unless it's a proven NFL caliber starter. Their defense needs work but it's not awful, they were just put in bad spots last year and spent way too much time on the field because the offense wasn't very good. You can get by with RG3 or Kessler for a year or 2 until you can acquire a better QB. Cleveland just simply has a lack of quality players. The more picks the better

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turbisky is no better than Webb in fact most feel and I agree with a year or two Webb will be the better QB in this draft. Turbisky is a project QB as is Webb no way I take either of them in the top 15.

If most feel that way, why is Trubisky projected to go 1st round and Webb not? I feel you're projecting a bit.

I do agree that I wouldn't take either early though.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just fold already.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If most feel that way, why is Trubisky projected to go 1st round and Webb not? I feel you're projecting a bit.

I do agree that I wouldn't take either early though.

Because he is more NFL ready I really think they are overrating that kid, and I guarantee if the Browns take him he will fail at this level. If you are taking a QB in the top 15 you better take one that is ready to go now not a project.