• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way early 1st rnd prediction I could get behind

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted the Combine, Senior bowl, and FA have not even begun to be a factor yet.

But I could work with this way too early prediction.

WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: CB CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ, OREGON

Gonzalez is one of the most scheme-versatile cornerbacks in the class with a level of fluidity and explosiveness you rarely see in a 6-foot-2 player at the position. He picked off four passes and broke up six more in his first season with Oregon in 2022.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him. Long, good build. Interested to see what the Skins do if Gonzalez or Porter Jr. are sitting there.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him. Long, good build. Interested to see what the Skins do if Gonzalez or Porter Jr. are sitting there.
if they are the top rated players at a position of need i take one of them. . i dont think they will be there from what i see in my mock draft sims but who knows

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious about why the consensus is that we need to look corner with the 1st round pick. I don't think it is an awful idea, but as you and others have pointed out, we have the #3 defense in yards given up and 7th in points scored. An upgrade at cb would be welcomed of course.

That being said, why add to a position of strength when our oline is rubbish? Is it not easier to find a corner in free agency versus a left tackle or elite guard? We need a minimum of 3 new olineman and just 1 cb in a perfect world right? Why would we use our 1st rounder on a position that is not near as big a need? If the value is there, you take the best player at a position of need, so I am fine with a cb if that is the case.

Someone once described the redskins as wanting to repair the hole in the roof when the house is on fire. In other words, we historically don't address the most glaring needs first.

Again, I am not opposed to a corner back but would that not be lower on the priority list for this team? Unless this is a great corner class and weak oline class, which it might be, I am curious why most mock drafts and posters feel we need to go corner instead of oline. Bottom line, the oline must be dealt with or we will have the same discussions we did this year over and over again. I need to take a deeper look at the free agency class as that might be the reason why fans and pundits say corner.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious about why the consensus is that we need to look corner with the 1st round pick. I don't think it is an awful idea, but as you and others have pointed out, we have the #3 defense in yards given up and 7th in points scored. An upgrade at cb would be welcomed of course.

That being said, why add to a position of strength when our oline is rubbish? Is it not easier to find a corner in free agency versus a left tackle or elite guard? We need a minimum of 3 new olineman and just 1 cb in a perfect world right? Why would we use our 1st rounder on a position that is not near as big a need? If the value is there, you take the best player at a position of need, so I am fine with a cb if that is the case.

Someone once described the redskins as wanting to repair the hole in the roof when the house is on fire. In other words, we historically don't address the most glaring needs first.

Again, I am not opposed to a corner back but would that not be lower on the priority list for this team? Unless this is a great corner class and weak oline class, which it might be, I am curious why most mock drafts and posters feel we need to go corner instead of oline. Bottom line, the oline must be dealt with or we will have the same discussions we did this year over and over again. I need to take a deeper look at the free agency class as that might be the reason why fans and pundits say corner.
i'm salty on signing a #1 CB in FA because clearly RR and JDR whiffed badly on WJ3.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm salty on signing a #1 CB in FA because clearly RR and JDR whiffed badly on WJ3.
Good point.

Can we not live with a mediocre cb over a below average oline though?

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

Can we not live with a mediocre cb over a below average oline though?
a rookie will take his lumps but he is teachable to the scheme not to mention cheaper. FA cb i think are just harder for this staff to evaluate IMO

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't seen the consensus that you talk about. I've seen corner, left tackle, qb. Honestly I waffle back and fourth between corner and LT. Just depends on value and what we've already filled in free agency.

Keim last night on his pod basically said its LT or Corner.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a rookie will take his lumps but he is teachable to the scheme not to mention cheaper. FA cb i think are just harder for this staff to evaluate IMO
That is understandable.

We could build a mini-plan something similar to the following to address CB and OL. This is NOT a full FA class or draft class.

Free Agency:
CB = Emmanuel Mosley (26 years old)
Guard = Nate Davis (26 years old)
C = Ethan Pocic (27 years old)

Draft:
1st round: Paris Johnson Jr = LT
2nd round: Noah Sewell = LB
3rd round: Anthony Johnson = CB

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tend to agree. I’m ok with our CB situation. I think LB is a much more pressing need. But the OLine is what’s holding this team back. I’m OK with taking stud OL with the first two picks. Similar to what Gibbs did with the hogs. If I remember, he took three of the hogs on the 81 draft (may, grimm, jacoby). there were the foundation of Gibbs success for almost a decade.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at the way the defense played against the cowboys, who have a good offense, it's hard to get behind the idea that "#1 cb is a pressing need."

Perhaps one problem with the secondary was scheme. It certainly appears as though the Commanders have some depth.

The same can't be said about the offensive line, which looked bad against the cowboys, in the same way that they looked bad all season. Chris Paul might help. Getting back Roullier from injury migh help too, but Lucas looks done, and the Oline was a sieve regardless.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think its a matter of value for the pick . that CB offers value . i think we can pick up o/line later

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is understandable.

We could build a mini-plan something similar to the following to address CB and OL. This is NOT a full FA class or draft class.

Free Agency:

Draft:
most of the mocks i have done and seen so far have johnson off the board ar 16 and sewell gone in the top part of the 1st round

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is understandable.

Free Agency:

Draft:
i like the plan at FA. I'm with dad, Johnson isn't falling that far.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree. I’m ok with our CB situation. I think LB is a much more pressing need. But the OLine is what’s holding this team back. I’m OK with taking stud OL with the first two picks. Similar to what Gibbs did with the hogs. If I remember, he took three of the hogs on the 81 draft (may, grimm, jacoby). there were the foundation of Gibbs success for almost a decade.
1981 Draft ..... May 1st round, Grimm 3rd round, Manley 5th round, Darryl Grant 9th round, Didier 12th round

Jacoby was a UDFA
Bostic I believe was a FA, signed off of waivers

That was back in the days when, as duke would say .... they had a real GM

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1981 Draft ..... May 1st round, Grimm 3rd round, Manley 5th round, Darryl Grant 9th round, Didier 12th round

Jacoby was a UDFA
Bostic I believe was a FA, signed off of waivers

That was back in the days when, as duke would say .... they had a real GM
That’s right, jacoby was an UFA. what a pick up and what a draft! May and Grimm were the 1st and second pick for us. Both from Pitt.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s right, jacoby was an UFA. what a pick up and what a draft! May and Grimm were the 1st and second pick for us. Both from Pitt.
Correct, May and Grimm were the first two picks. Washington did not have a 2nd round pick. Also correct, what a draft. They built 80% of their OLine and half of their DLine in one year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, May and Grimm were the first two picks. Washington did not have a 2nd round pick. Also correct, what a draft. They built 80% of their OLine and half of their DLine in one year.
could we go to GA and pick up Jones (after a trade down ) then hit vanpran at center in a back to the future scenario ?:noidea: