• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Voynov has been charged.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure just how the officer making these statements determined what happened. A lot of circumstantial evidence it looks to me. Of course it wouldn't be the first conviction based on circumstantial evidence. Don't know how they determined there was evidence of prior domestic violence on his part either. Neighbors testimony? In the end it doesn't look good for Voynov at all in my eyes. Even if they come to a plea bargain agreement I don't see him returning to the NHL any time soon.

Ox

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA Times has a small article today stating that the wife has said this isn't the first time.

He's done.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man this is a bizarre case - either she seriously doesn't understand English to the point where she just nods yes or no to everything or he is a major league douchebag that we didn't existed within him.

Her comments being released indicate massive flip flopping - did he or did he not? - because one day it seems she is by his side, the next throwing him under the bus.

What a mess.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is all this stuff getting out? The trial isn't until March 1. Why are people allowed to interview anybody involved? Somebody is leaking the information obviously but who? You're right Puck. This is a complete mess. Or as Gunny Highway would put it a complete clusterfuck.

Ox

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is another article.

Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov’s lawyers try to exclude wife’s statements about injuries, previous abuse

Pay special attention to this part.

"Marta Varlamova, whose husband appeared for a pretrial hearing in Torrance Superior Court on Wednesday, responded “no” when a triage nurse at Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center asked her “if this was the first time that he had done that to her,” a defense motion said."

As a native Russian speaker I can tell you two things about that "no". She could have been trying to say "no this has never happened before" or she could be saying "no, this is not the first time".
The reason is at that is because of sentence structure differences. In English no can in fact be used in the affirmative. While in Russian, no literarily means no. There is no way to use it in the affirmative in Russian. The context is really important. And it really has a lot to do with her comprehension of English.
Again, I'm not trying to find an excuse for Slava. If he is guilty than he is the biggest POS.

heLL paso

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Maloney got a 2 year suspension so Voynov is third.
All of these long ones were for on ice violence.
Maloney's suspension was only for playing in Toronto. He was allowed to play in all other games.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but Kings can't yes his cap space to get anyone, because he could be back any time now.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think IF he is 100% acquitted there is very little the league can do to keep him out. He has already served the longest suspension in league history and that includes a couple of murder cases. The PA will sue to get him reinstated ASAP due to (insert legal garbage). Any delay would just to let the Kings get under the cap after the trade deadline has past.
If he is found guilty of anything then maybe they could hold him out until the immigration hearing

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the Sekera acquisition was done knowing almost 100% now that Voynov will not be bak this season.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spotted this and two things jumped out at me, and neither paint Voynov well:

Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynovs domestic violence trial postponed to April 21

Varlamova, a Russian model, has refused to cooperate with police and prosecutors. She does not want her husband prosecuted and does not want to testify against him, calling what happened to her an accident.

She is either completely terrified of him or doesn't want the cash cow to go away. Neither is good but this is very common with DV victims, which is why after OJ a DV case becomes a state vs. defendant case as opposed to a plaintiff vs. defendant case.

She has no choice and cannot recant, he will be put through the legal system no matter what. To me it would make more sense, if she is scared/cash cow issue, to just say positive things and paint him in a better light. I think that will help him more than not being cooperative.

Court records filed this week indicated investigators for the District Attorney’s Office put Voynov under surveillance in January when they could not locate Varlamova to subpoena her to testify. They served her when they found the couple together Jan. 28 in Marina del Rey.

Wow.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spotted this and two things jumped out at me, and neither paint Voynov well:

Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynovs domestic violence trial postponed to April 21

Varlamova, a Russian model, has refused to cooperate with police and prosecutors. She does not want her husband prosecuted and does not want to testify against him, calling what happened to her an accident.

She is either completely terrified of him or doesn't want the cash cow to go away. Neither is good but this is very common with DV victims, which is why after OJ a DV case becomes a state vs. defendant case as opposed to a plaintiff vs. defendant case.

She has no choice and cannot recant, he will be put through the legal system no matter what. To me it would make more sense, if she is scared/cash cow issue, to just say positive things and paint him in a better light. I think that will help him more than not being cooperative.

Court records filed this week indicated investigators for the District Attorney’s Office put Voynov under surveillance in January when they could not locate Varlamova to subpoena her to testify. They served her when they found the couple together Jan. 28 in Marina del Rey.

Wow.
So they ar going to force her to testify.

I think that he is a POS for putting his hands on a woman, but if she does not talk what case is there?

Also, honestly think that he is done with the Kings.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they ar going to force her to testify.

I think that he is a POS for putting his hands on a woman, but if she does not talk what case is there?

They will prosecute with or without her testimony. DV cases are state vs. defendant, there are no ways around it. The OJ trial marked a change in this process because he basically got away with murder. This also doesn't allow a victim to recant, change their story, etc.

Her testimony could help or hurt his case depending on what she says, but the trial will go on with or without it.

My .02 like I said, I believe she is hurting his case by not talking. She should be cooperative because the law will assume the worst even though they shouldn't.

Also, honestly think that he is done with the Kings.

Rumor has it he was shopped around Deadline Day, I would not be surprised.

Now if he is cleared, he is back in the mix come summer time when teams can be over the cap while they sort stuff out financially prior to Opening Day. He is a T3 defender, and a RH shot to boot - those guys don't grow on trees, so they will hang onto him as long as they can me thinks until they have no choice.

If he is convicted, he will somehow be off the roster this summer and quite possibly his NHL career is over.