• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Volin: NFL Intentionally Holding DeflateGate Report Until After Draft

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i personally think this is one of 2 things:

The NFL , digging back thru records, has discovered this is a league wide problem and now have egg on their face (i.e teams allowed to do whatever they want with the balls and the refs not accurately recording information)

or

the NFL has absolutely nothing but circumstantial (not factual) information on new england...and are embarrassed they have to release a report showing basically nothing.

Volin: NFL Intentionally Holding DeflateGate Report Until After Draft
Toucher & RichApril 29, 2015 10:52 AM
Share on emailView Comments
untitled-114.jpg

Tom Brady,Roger Goodell, Jim irsay (Photos by Elsa/Christian Petersen/Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

wbzfm_bio_toucher_rich.jpg
Toucher and Rich

BOSTON (CBS) — Roger Goodell said in an interview Tuesday on CBS that he expects Ted Wells’ DeflateGate report to be released “soon,” but he did not specify exactly when the world will know what went on with the inflation of footballs at the AFC Championship Game.

The Boston Globe’s Ben Volin said Wednesday morning that he believes the report is completed and ready to go, but the league is waiting until after the NFL Draft to release the results.

“Definitely. Absolutely. 100 percent,” Volin said when asked if the NFL is intentionally waiting until after the draft to release Wells’ report. “I think in waiting this long it’s made it less of a story. People stopped caring. It’s still big here in New England, obviously, and for the hardcore football fans. But for just your average fan, I don’t think DeflateGate is much of a story anymore. So I think they’ve done a good job of minimizing it.

“And then, I thought of this yesterday — Bill Belichick is supposed to talk to the media this weekend after the draft, and then after that, we might not hear from him again until either mid-June at minicamp or maybe not even until training camp in August. So I think the NFLoffice is going to do the Patriots a favor, they’ll wait until after this weekend, so that we don’t have the opportunity to ask Belichick questions about it. And then when we do in August, he’ll say, ‘Well that’s old territory, we’re just trying to move on now.

“So I think that the NFL office is definitely waiting on purpose, trying to minimize the damage of this thing, and then releasing it at a time when the media can’t go around and ask the owners and Bill Belichick a million different questions about it.”

That theory got Rich Shertenlieb thinking that there must be some bit of damning information in the report — though it wouldn’t necessarily condemn the Patriots. Volin agreed.

“It tells me that there’s going to be some damning information in there, but I’m not sure it’s going to be against the Patriots,” Volin said. “I think there’s going to be stuff in there that makes the NFL look bad. I mean, they supposedly had a rogue ball boy who’s stealing balls intended for charity and selling them off for profit. It’s going to make maybe the officials look bad for not always following the exact letter of the rule. And it might make the Colts look bad for who knows what their involvement was in this, and they went running straight to the media right after the game on that Sunday night, putting the NFL in a really bad spot. I think if the Colts didn’t do that, maybe this story gets handled a little more quietly and internally, but the Colts kind of blew the lid open on the whole thing.

“So I think this report is just not going to make a lot of different entities look very good,” Volin continued. “And so I think they’ve been waiting [to release] it, they’re waiting until after the draft so that Bill Belichick’s not asked questions about what he thinks about how the league handled everything and the ball procedures and all of that sort of thing. I just think this report’s not going to make a lot of different entities look good, and they’re probably taking their time to shore up the different rules about the ball procedures and making sure that this kind of mistake doesn’t happen again.”

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm.... Duh

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was absolutely nothing in the report warranting disciplinary action, then the NFL would have released that information the second they had it. Assuming the NFL already does have the finalized report, then it is likely that someone is guilty of something.

If NE is implicitly guilty in something, it would be wise to wait until after the draft, especially if the punishment is the loss of draft picks.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was absolutely nothing in the report warranting disciplinary action, then the NFL would have released that information the second they had it. Assuming the NFL already does have the finalized report, then it is likely that someone is guilty of something.

If NE is implicitly guilty in something, it would be wise to wait until after the draft, especially if the punishment is the loss of draft picks.

No it wouldn't. If New England was guilty of something it would make sense to release the report & take away draft picks if the league believes the punishment is worthy of doing so.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You make 2 statements and present them as truism. Unfortunately, they are both based on your own personal logic. They are conjecture and very likely flawed.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guilty or Innocent it behooves the NFL to bury the story.......let it sit and collect dust, put on a good draft. Then release the findings on a Friday afternoon, most likely that is headlined by some other news making event in sports. NBA finals maybe, not sure hockey would carry enough pizzaz.. maybe MLB all star game????

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it wouldn't. If New England was guilty of something it would make sense to release the report & take away draft picks if the league believes the punishment is worthy of doing so.
If you release the report on the eve of the draft you are creating a distraction right before a huge marketing cycle for the league when you could instead create yet another cycle of staying in the headlines.

Also if you take away draft picks on the eve of the draft, not only are you completely screwing over NE for allowing them to invest a ton of resources preparing for the draft and creating a strategy under the assumption that they would have certain picks, but you would also hurt the other teams who have been preparing under the same assumption

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make 2 statements and present them as truism. Unfortunately, they are both based on your own personal logic. They are conjecture and very likely flawed.
True, it is just my two cents, but logic seems (at least to me) to dictate that the NFL would want to bury this story is there is guilt somewhere.

It seems reasonable that if there was nothing underhanded that happened, then the league would simply release that finding in a short statement the second they had it and let it die a quick and painless death. Although I could understand why the league simply does not want to talk about it at all while it already has so much buzz with the draft right now.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take on the matter:

Do you think the Patriots deflated the balls?

Malcom Butler

Do you believe that Bill Bellichick was being truthful?

Malcom Butler

C'mon, Brady was lying, right?

Malcom Butler

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Standard response every fucking time the Patriots get caught cheating.

"Everybody does it."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, it is just my two cents, but logic seems (at least to me) to dictate that the NFL would want to bury this story is there is guilt somewhere.

It seems reasonable that if there was nothing underhanded that happened, then the league would simply release that finding in a short statement the second they had it and let it die a quick and painless death. Although I could understand why the league simply does not want to talk about it at all while it already has so much buzz with the draft right now.
Shit happened and it was not New England.
The league is doing "due diligence" to keep the haters from screaming foul
While digging they have uncovered more dirt, again not on New England!

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Standard response every fucking time the Patriots get caught cheating.

"Everybody does it."

Correct, and when they do something to gain an advantage that everybody doesn't do, we'll call it cheating.

In the meantime, Malcolm Butler.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The delay has nothing to do with the league doing the Pats any favors, given how every time the Pats get pointed at they get kicked in the ass. As part of the article says it will probably have more to do with league procedures, the refs dealing with the game balls and how the Colts played a part in all this. If the league had a shred of proof the Pats did violate rules the report would have come out by now and picks would have been taken away and fines would have been levied. Bottom line the league didn't want the report to take away from the draft.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take on the matter:

Do you think the Patriots deflated the balls?

Malcom Butler

Do you believe that Bill Bellichick was being truthful?

Malcom Butler

C'mon, Brady was lying, right?

Malcom Butler

FUCK IT!

We're on to Draft DAy!!

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of IF's. I really doubt Goofdell would wait until after the draft IF he had a final report and IF it had the Pats guilty of something. He already has a reputation for fucking things up. Unless he is just a complete ass clown (not unreasonable however) I don't think he goes this route.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots are NOT going to come out of this scott free. Even if Wells said "We got nuthin", they'll find something. It could be anything from "Creating an atmosphere of distrust" " :rolleyes2: to "The Patriots probably did something but we can't prove what or how" to "Here's proof of Patriots tampering and here's the DNA evidence" ;)

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you release the report on the eve of the draft you are creating a distraction right before a huge marketing cycle for the league when you could instead create yet another cycle of staying in the headlines.

Also if you take away draft picks on the eve of the draft, not only are you completely screwing over NE for allowing them to invest a ton of resources preparing for the draft and creating a strategy under the assumption that they would have certain picks, but you would also hurt the other teams who have been preparing under the same assumption

The only team hurt would be New England. They would be the team losing draft picks. The other teams would actually benefit. They would move up one spot in the draft order for the round or rounds of picks the Patriots would lose.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only team hurt would be New England. They would be the team losing draft picks. The other teams would actually benefit. They would move up one spot in the draft order for the round or rounds of picks the Patriots would lose.
What about teams that had contingent plans to trade with NE. That gets thrown out the window. And what about the teams that assumed another player would be off the board when it came their turn to pick or possibly trade down/up. Teams invest a ton of time and resources trying to figure out how best to attack the draft with all sorts of contingency plans.

Throwing a curve ball right before the draft by removing NE picks would piss off every front office in the league.