• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

trades... cause I'm bored

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Braydon Coburn and Nicklas Grossmann do it successfully - I think Erik Gustafsson can be a bona-fide top 4 d-man, he should be up with the Flyers permanently

The problem with the Phantoms is their goaltending has been shaky and they haven't had many stud forwards who could score a ton - also, some players play better in the NHL than the AHL

:shocked:

the one's that do and have long term success in the NHL are the one's that dont feel like they should have to play in the minors. high profile draft picks and such. not undrafted free agents and late round picks.

and how quickly you forget them shutting down teams late in the season and in to the playoffs a few years ago. they were a bonafide shut down pairing against high caliber NHL talent. not struggling to stay afloat against minor league talent.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say Braydon Coburn and Nicklas Grossmann do it successfully - I think Erik Gustafsson can be a bona-fide top 4 d-man, he should be up with the Flyers permanently

The problem with the Phantoms is their goaltending has been shaky and they haven't had many stud forwards who could score a ton - also, some players play better in the NHL than the AHL

based on what?

the fact that he couldn't hold down a spot at any point last year and got jumped by other call-ups?

the fact that he couldn't lock down an NHL starting spot coming out of camp this year?

the fact that he went undrafted?

he's a bottom 6 puck mover, asking more of him exposes him to top flight talent rather than checking lines. believe me, i wish i could say otherwise and expect the guy to be a legitimate top 4 guy in the NHL, but i just dont think thats true.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
based on what?

the fact that he couldn't hold down a spot at any point last year and got jumped by other call-ups?

the fact that he couldn't lock down an NHL starting spot coming out of camp this year?

the fact that he went undrafted?

he's a bottom 6 puck mover, asking more of him exposes him to top flight talent rather than checking lines. believe me, i wish i could say otherwise and expect the guy to be a legitimate top 4 guy in the NHL, but i just dont think thats true.

Maybe the Flyers management is dumb? If you're going to say that about Erik Gustafsson, I think you have to say the same thing about those young forwards that get blocked by guys like Jay Rosehill, etc

The Flyers have made a bunch of dumb decisions the last few years, who in their right mind would keep an overpaid Braydon Coburn and or Nicklas Grossmann or even Mesz over Erik Gustafsson, a young kid that deserves every chance to succeed? Every time he's been called up, he's made good decisions, good plays and he can skate well - I don't always see that with the defensemen that are on this team

So what if he was undrafted? Martin St. Louis was undrafted and he went on to have a great career - sometimes you have to give a player a chance to succeed

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe the Flyers management is dumb? If you're going to say that about Erik Gustafsson, I think you have to say the same thing about those young forwards that get blocked by guys like Jay Rosehill, etc

The Flyers have made a bunch of dumb decisions the last few years, who in their right mind would keep an overpaid Braydon Coburn and or Nicklas Grossmann or even Mesz over Erik Gustafsson, a young kid that deserves every chance to succeed? Every time he's been called up, he's made good decisions, good plays and he can skate well - I don't always see that with the defensemen that are on this team

So what if he was undrafted? Martin St. Louis was undrafted and he went on to have a great career - sometimes you have to give a player a chance to succeed

We didn't just keep these 2 bolded dmen, we were the ones that gave them contracts. Neither of which at the time the two couldnt have gotten somewhere else. I just think it is too early to point out every flaw this team has, being a new coach and we are only 7 games in.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think there can be confusion sometimes in what we call top 2, top 4, top 6 d-men. Can Gustafsson be a top 4 d-man in this league? Yes, absolutely. On SOME teams. On a true Cup contender? No way. At least, I haven't seen anything from him yet to make me think so.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think of Kimmo Timonen - he was drafted very late in the NHL draft many years ago and I bet people thought the same thing of him back in the day and he's turned into a very good NHL d-man(he's at the tail end of his career though) - I think Erik Gustafsson can be that type of guy if they give him the opportunity

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the bold isn't true. he's had a multitude of very poor games. they absolutely could be growing pains, and i'm fine giving him the opportunity to succeed. i'm glad he's playing now, as a 5th or 6th defensemen. he's been solid in the couple games he's played, i'm not arguing that. i'm just saying there's a big difference between playing 5th or 6th minutes behind guys like coburn/grossmann, than playing 3rd or 4th minutes with brandon manning and oliver lauridsen behind you. if he's ready, and the coaches feel like its a good time, he'll start getting more and more minutes while coburn/grossmann get less and less. if that transition can be made successfully, then maybe you move grossmann or coburn and bring in manning or lauridsen to follow the same track as gustaffson does in this scenario.

dumping your NHL caliber dmen just to give guys you hope will pan out is a very risky move and entirely unnecessary at this point. regardless of if you think they're legit or not, coburn and grossmann have proven they can play at a high level in the NHL. not to mention you would get minimal return for players who should fetch a decent return because youre selling at a low point.

and marty st louis is one guy. there's a handful of others that a bottom line type players in the league right now too, but banking on an undrafted guy to blossom in to a legit top flight NHL-er is also very risky. st louis is the exception, not the rule.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there can be confusion sometimes in what we call top 2, top 4, top 6 d-men. Can Gustafsson be a top 4 d-man in this league? Yes, absolutely. On SOME teams. On a true Cup contender? No way. At least, I haven't seen anything from him yet to make me think so.

well said.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i like vanek as a player and obviously the flyers would be better with him.. but i dont like the idea of trading young guys, plus draft picks, plus making salary dump type moves, to try to afford him this year and then hope he resigns next year.. the flyers offense has sucked, but they were 9th in the league last season in goals per game, and briere (2C) and hartnell (1W) missed like 25% of the season. the offense is there, its just not clicking right now.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stephane da costa put on waivers by the sens today.. i would think about taking a flyer (hehe) on him if i were homer.. young guy, lots of offensive skill, cheap.. could be a decent spark :noidea:

i know the flyers were interested in signing him a couple years ago

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stephane da costa put on waivers by the sens today.. i would think about taking a flyer (hehe) on him if i were homer.. young guy, lots of offensive skill, cheap.. could be a decent spark :noidea:

i know the flyers were interested in signing him a couple years ago

I'd like it

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like vanek as a player and obviously the flyers would be better with him.. but i dont like the idea of trading young guys, plus draft picks, plus making salary dump type moves, to try to afford him this year and then hope he resigns next year.. the flyers offense has sucked, but they were 9th in the league last season in goals per game, and briere (2C) and hartnell (1W) missed like 25% of the season. the offense is there, its just not clicking right now.

I agree that Vanek may not be the one, but I think the article is spot on that offensively, the Flyers desperately need someone up front who can shoot the puck. They have a bunch of passers and a bunch of grinders, but absolutely no sniper. Both Vanek and Yakupov would fit the bill if the price was right. Defensively, the Flyers still need more speed on the back end. You were right in one of your other posts that the Flyers have missed Carle more than anyone woulda/coulda/shoulda thought. The guy could move the puck.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is basically what I keep trying to tell people. Even going back to the '11-'12 season, we were 3rd in the Nhl in goal scoring and 14 of the players who suited up for us that season are still with us, including our top four goal scorers. There are plenty of guys who can net 20-25 (in some cases more) on this current team. It's not like everyone is suddenly a scrub, this is just a major slump coming off of a terrible preseason and training camp.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep you either sit and wait hope that they snap out of it with players coming back or you create a spark with even a small trade. Blockbusters can be scary and I don't think they need one but man sometimes you can win huge...remember some from the past like LeClair????

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep you either sit and wait hope that they snap out of it with players coming back or you create a spark with even a small trade. Blockbusters can be scary and I don't think they need one but man sometimes you can win huge...remember some from the past like LeClair????
It's dangerous waiting and hoping they break out, if they don't it will be absolutely embarrassing and they'll just continue putting pressure on theirselves

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's dangerous to panic and do something drastic when several of our players and our team as a whole are on the verge of breaking out of this slump. Simmonds got that first one tonight and it looked like he could've had one or two more. Giroux has an assist in three straight and is starting to get it going. I felt that Voracek and Raffl each could've easily scored tonight and Schenn flat out missed an empty net.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite the conundrum. On the one hand, the team is clearly flawed and moves are needed. We can debate whether they are major or minor, but moves are definitely needed. However, I have ZERO faith at this point in Holmgren's ability to make the right trade(s). Should Snider allow a man who has completely destroyed this team to have an opportunity to fix it? Or, is it Hextall time and let's move on?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's quite the conundrum. On the one hand, the team is clearly flawed and moves are needed. We can debate whether they are major or minor, but moves are definitely needed. However, I have ZERO faith at this point in Holmgren's ability to make the right trade(s). Should Snider allow a man who has completely destroyed this team to have an opportunity to fix it? Or, is it Hextall time and let's move on?

i'm still preaching patience. its an awful start, but making trades now will hurt the team long term. i have no doubt about it. hitting the panic button and trading away good players who are playing poorly is EXACTLY how you mismanage a franchise. homer standing pat is the right thing to do.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you add Pronger back into this lineup do you think they'd suck? Probably have easily made the playoffs last year I tell you that. So the question is that Homers fault? Not like Prongers fall off trees.