• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Stewart Apparently Hits Walking Driver With Sprint Car

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At it's core, he's one of the best 4 wheel vehicle operators in the world. It's gonna be pretty rare for him to do something like this by accident. His whole livelihood is determined by a margin of inches at triple digit speeds.

Like you said, I bet he was trying to showboat/talk shit and ended up getting too close.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry that guy died, but what a dumb ass.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My speculation and that's all it is , is that Stewart in a state of rage tried to scare him and accelerated and the other driver wasn't expecting it and sort of turned not thinking it was going to happen and what was meant more than likely at a scare attempt during rage turned into a full blown tragedy. My honest thought is that it wasn't an all out attempt to kill him but it does appear there was intent to give him a scare. To say he didn't see him is a real stretch. I think this is probably more of the mindset. For Stewart to be racing today is simply a joke. The look of the whole situation is appalling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how they can say there isn't even gonna be a criminal investigation here. It sure looks like, at minimum, Stewart tried to intimidate him and wound up making contact. The video I've seen doesn't show Stewart's long-term trajectory, but the right video could prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. Was the race under caution? Don't drivers on caution usually drive inside of where Stewart was? Is there an audio of Stewart (probably not at such a small race, but that would be helpful)?

I still think there is a case for criminally negligent homicide here. It's not a winner at this point, but I wouldn't publicly foreclose it. I also wonder what the rules are for sporting events. They are treated differently in torts, but what about crim law? You won't get arrested for throwing at a players head when they are batting, but there have been arrests for behavior at sporting events (that guy who threw ball into the crowd and that one hockey takedown at the end of the game come to mind).

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My speculation and that's all it is , is that Stewart in a state of rage tried to scare him and accelerated and the other driver wasn't expecting it and sort of turned not thinking it was going to happen and what was meant more than likely at a scare attempt during rage turned into a full blown tragedy. My honest thought is that it wasn't an all out attempt to kill him but it does appear there was intent to give him a scare. To say he didn't see him is a real stretch. I think this is probably more of the mindset. For Stewart to be racing today is simply a joke. The look of the whole situation is appalling.

I tend to agree. Stewart is a hot head, but I do not think that he truly decided right there, "I am going to run this guy over LOL!" I am not a lawyer, but I assume there is a criminal aspect to this scenario. If you are trying to just scare someone and unintentionally kill them, I assume it is still a crime. I will let the lawyers discuss that. It is not my area of expertise.*

I also agree that his racing today is about as tone deaf as it gets.

*shocking on SportsHoopla, I know.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how they can say there isn't even gonna be a criminal investigation here. It sure looks like, at minimum, Stewart tried to intimidate him and wound up making contact. The video I've seen doesn't show Stewart's long-term trajectory, but the right video could prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. Was the race under caution? Don't drivers on caution usually drive inside of where Stewart was? Is there an audio of Stewart (probably not at such a small race, but that would be helpful)?

I still think there is a case for criminally negligent homicide here. It's not a winner at this point, but I wouldn't publicly foreclose it. I also wonder what the rules are for sporting events. They are treated differently in torts, but what about crim law? You won't get arrested for throwing at a players head when they are batting, but there have been arrests for behavior at sporting events (that guy who threw ball into the crowd and that one hockey takedown at the end of the game come to mind).

:agree:

It's stupid if there is not going to be any form of criminal investigation.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that Marty McSorley was arrested for his attack on Donald Brashear but I am not sure. You may want to look at that for reference. I also don't remember if that occurred here or Canada.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: with you here smart, not saying Stewart is guilty of murder but there certainly should be a criminal investigation.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Marty McSorley was arrested for his attack on Donald Brashear but I am not sure. You may want to look at that for reference. I also don't remember if that occurred here or Canada.

I believe it occurred in Canada. Vancouver to be exact.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, the race was under caution. The line that Stewart was in was the correct line to run during the caution. Unless a video comes out that has Stewart's POV, I don't see how they will be able to prove intent.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime there is a death there will be an investigation. Malice and intent will certainly be in question. I'm sure the deceased's family will sue Stewart as he is worth a lot of money. Regardless of the outcome, Tony Stewart will be heavily scrutinized for his actions. Was he interviewed afterwards?

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid shouldve never gotten out of the car and walked onto the track. If he had a beef then he should've went to the pits and waited till AFTER the race to confront him.

pabartl787

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime there is a death there will be an investigation. Malice and intent will certainly be in question. I'm sure the deceased's family will sue Stewart as he is worth a lot of money. Regardless of the outcome, Tony Stewart will be heavily scrutinized for his actions. Was he interviewed afterwards?

He has been talking to investigators, yes. However I doubt he will talk to media today.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, reportedly Stewart has been cooperating with authorities, and he is not considered a criminal at this time.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key words, I guess, are "at this time".

I can't see him being charged anyway, even though it might be legally possible.

Anytime a healthy young man dies the authorities are gonna ask questions but I doubt there's any charges filed here. Maybe a civil lawsuit but I highly doubt any criminal proceedings go down over this.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirt track....outside wheels/tries are larger than the inside wheels/tires. To turn these cars towards the inside, you have to throttle up. If you let off the gas, the car will steer towards the outside. Turning the front tires is fine tuning a controlled slide.

My guess is Stewart did not see Ward. There was a car in front of him that barely got by the guy leaving Stewart with very little reaction time.

Hitting the accelerator was the correct reaction to make a quick turn towards the inside.

this is the part I'm interested in. According to the police report/bulletin, the two cars were traveling in tandem, the first car barely missed him; Stewart may have at the last second, been confronted with the guy in front of him and had to swerve and accelerate to try to miss him.

I'm not a fan of the guy nor do I dislike him, but I think people should wait to see if we can clear up what really happened.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the part I'm interested in. According to the police report/bulletin, the two cars were traveling in tandem, the first car barely missed him; Stewart may have at the last second, been confronted with the guy in front of him and had to swerve and accelerate to try to miss him.

I'm not a fan of the guy nor do I dislike him, but I think people should wait to see if we can clear up what really happened.

Good luck with that here. You are more likely to get "ZOMG TONY IS A STRAIGHT UP MURDERER HE DID IT ON PURPOSE AND ISSUES TICKING TIME BOMB CANT BELIEVE NASCAR NEVER DID ANYTHING RABBLE RACIST RABBLE"