• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Shelvin Mack Thread

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is the best PG we have had in five years. Funny, he was third string in ATL and he is the third best player on our entire team in Utah. I think Macks struggle initially was purely conditioning related - he was out of shape. Now, I would recommend locking him up. He has good chemistry on the court with Derrick. He is a wide body. He has good vision.

Dante wasn't very good last year. I don't have the infatuation that the Jazz brass does on Exum. In no way should Exum just be handed the reigns. Mack has been too good.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to jinx it, but have you guys looked at his three point percentage recently? Was that not his weakness on paper? (4-27 (14.8%) in Atlanta, 2-10 (20%) in first 5 Jazz games. (4-16 in first 7 Jazz games))

I mean, I discounted the bad percentage due to playing spot duty creates desperation and small sample sizes, but felt that I couldn't rely on him to make a good percentage. He can't hold this up forever, but look at the last 12 games:

1-3
2-3
1-2
3-5
4-6
3-5
1-1
1-3
1-2
1-2
0-3
2-3

Totals: 20-38 (52.6%)
Last 7: 15-25 (60%)
Last 10: 18-32 (56.25%)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was 2-14 in 5 Atlanta games where he played double digit minutes. 2-13 otherwise. 33.1% for his career, including with the Jazz. (31.7% before joining the Jazz and 45.8% here so far. Previous high was 40%.)

To put this in perspective, in order to match his ineptitude percentage (14.8%) in Atlanta, he would have to miss the next 101 three point attempts in a row here.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so this is the Utah Jazz forum, huh? *looks around* Not bad...not bad.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so this is the Utah Jazz forum, huh? *looks around* Not bad...not bad.

What's your NBA team? Cleveland? Philadelphia? What NBA team do Pittsburgh fans root for?

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like MHSL and Nura are in a bio dome shelter here, harboring a precious seed bank for when the other sports chat boards go to nuclear war against each other. Then, the masses will come here and the seeds of wisdom that have been nurtured will germinate and jazz knowledge will be passed along to the new hope.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assists are my thing. Of course, I want wins first.

I want a 10+ Assist guy but I am happy to settle for 4.0, is that so bad of me? And still, I don't get a f'ing 4.0 APG PG!!!

Hayward will get over 4 apg soon. And Mack can get 5+ assists. There, you'll have 2 PGs with 4.0+.

If needed, Hayward needs to shoot less, since he's not good at shooting, and let Favors score more, since Favors is better at it. Hayward can use his playmaking skills, since that's his best attribute.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assists are my thing. Of course, I want wins first.

I want a 10+ Assist guy but I am happy to settle for 4.0, is that so bad of me? And still, I don't get a f'ing 4.0 APG PG!!!

It is when the Jazz are playing well, AND offensive efficiency + assists aren't the reason why the Jazz are losing. Their efficiency is one of their strengths.

They just need a few more minor pieces.

But changing the dynamics of a team that is working now, would be dangerous.

Subbing out Neto for Rubio or Rondo would probably make the team win a lot less.

The way they're constructed and playing together now, and being coached now, they're not being held back by the PG / assists. If they were, then I'd yearn for more too, like you are.

But since they're not being held back by the assists, and because they're still playing efficiently and finding good shots, then why break the team dynamics?

Here's one thing which Rondo does, which Stockton never, or very rarely, allowed:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like MHSL and Nura are in a bio dome shelter here, harboring a precious seed bank for when the other sports chat boards go to nuclear war against each other. Then, the masses will come here and the seeds of wisdom that have been nurtured will germinate and jazz knowledge will be passed along to the new hope.

Great post.

Only quality stuff on this forum, with some humor thrown in and beer talk. ;)

You're a part of it too, when you come.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz are 28th in assists per FGM, and 27th in assists per possession.

But they're 8th in percentage of points from free throws. Which means a lot of their offense comes from the foul line. It's hard to get assists when the teammate is getting fouled, unless they generate an and-one. If the strength of the team is getting the other team in foul trouble, so be it, because it's working.

And as noted, they're 10th overall in offensive efficiency. Given the roster, and the offensive talent level, and how Hayward isn't an efficient player, that's better than I would have thought they'd be, on paper.

Hence, I resist changing the style of what's working.

Rather, I'd run the same system, just get a few better offensive guards. Then the offense can improve a little more.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack is the best PG we have had in five years. Funny, he was third string in ATL and he is the third best player on our entire team in Utah. I think Macks struggle initially was purely conditioning related - he was out of shape. Now, I would recommend locking him up. He has good chemistry on the court with Derrick. He is a wide body. He has good vision.

Dante wasn't very good last year. I don't have the infatuation that the Jazz brass does on Exum. In no way should Exum just be handed the reigns. Mack has been too good.

Agree about Mack.

Exum also needs to show consistency, and that he needs to learn the system. He's barely played. If he can get to a point where he's as good as Mack, then maybe he can start, but he hasn't shown yet he can even be a decent backup.

Also, the best part of him, his defense, isn't needed since the Jazz are a good overall defensive team.

So there's no need to give Exum a bigger role than he needs, especially since Mack is doing a good job.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is when the Jazz are playing well, AND offensive efficiency + assists aren't the reason why the Jazz are losing. Their efficiency is one of their strengths.

They just need a few more minor pieces.

But changing the dynamics of a team that is working now, would be dangerous.

Subbing out Neto for Rubio or Rondo would probably make the team win a lot less.

The way they're constructed and playing together now, and being coached now, they're not being held back by the PG / assists. If they were, then I'd yearn for more too, like you are.

But since they're not being held back by the assists, and because they're still playing efficiently and finding good shots, then why break the team dynamics?

Here's one thing which Rondo does, which Stockton never, or very rarely, allowed:

Who said we needed to change anything? Mack was averaging 8 a game for a bit and we were winning. We need to take and make shots in the current system. Experience and chemistry, along with consistent minutes/rotation would help without "changing" anything.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had too many turnovers versus Houston, but the assertiveness from the PG slot is refreshing.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we have his option next year. Is it possible to re negotiate now to lock him up for four years at a good rate. Another year of this play and he will be big money. If possible, sign now long term to a 10 mill contract. If Exum emerges, cool. If not, at least we have a viable PG

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we have his option next year. Is it possible to re negotiate now to lock him up for four years at a good rate. Another year of this play and he will be big money. If possible, sign now long term to a 10 mill contract. If Exum emerges, cool. If not, at least we have a viable PG

I remember Zach Randolph got a contract extension after he hit the game-winner against San Antonio during game 1 of the 2011 Memphis - Spurs series.

He got it in between games 1 and 2.

Maybe it's different, because Memphis had Bird Rights to Randolph.

Other than that, I've never heard of anyone getting a contract extension once the season started. Usually deadlines for that are before the opening day of the season.

So, maybe Mack could be signed to an extension, because the deadline is before opening day 2016-2017.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens when a Zach Attack (Randolph) is met with a Mack Attack (A Mack steal)?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Mack's name is Shelvin.

Fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out. I always thought this thread was off when I clicked on it.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your NBA team? Cleveland? Philadelphia? What NBA team do Pittsburgh fans root for?

Lol well, i'm actually a native of ohio, outside of cincy. And....*bows head in shame* ....i've always rooted for the knicks

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol well, i'm actually a native of ohio, outside of cincy. And....*bows head in shame* ....i've always rooted for the knicks

Well, as a Jazz fan, I'm happy that you guys fired Derek Fisher, who moved FARTHER away from his daughter's eye center in the guise that he was going to retire for her. He did the same thing to leave OKC, but this time it was to retire for knee issues. He later got kicked off as president of the player's Union and then that whole Matt Barnes thing. Classy guy. (Sarcasm obvious.)

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, as a Jazz fan, I'm happy that you guys fired Derek Fisher, who moved FARTHER away from his daughter's eye center in the guise that he was going to retire for her. He did the same thing to leave OKC, but this time it was to retire for knee issues. He later got kicked off as president of the player's Union and then that whole Matt Barnes thing. Classy guy. (Sarcasm obvious.)

Yeah he's not my favorite guy, either