• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA's new TV deal

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, the NBA is making it rain. ESPN/Turner Sports are keeping the broadcast rights for the next 10 years and will pay the league 2.7 BILLION dollars per year. That's three times as much as the old deal. During the 2011 lockout, the owners claimed they were losing money (they weren't, creative accounting) and people believed them. There's no way anyone should believe them now if they pull the same stunt for a 2017 lockout.

This also means the salary cap is gonna jump up pretty big in the next couple of years. Everyone already knew this but now we know what the cap number might be. Some are projecting anywhere from 85 to 90 mil. The current cap is 63 mil.

I'm also a little surprised to see Fox not getting a few games. They were interested because the network (Fox Sports) desperately needs live programming. I've read that Fox never got a bid because TNT/ESPN had exclusive first bargaining rights and reached an agreement during that time, thus leaving Fox out. A few months ago, Newscorp (which owns Fox) tried to buy TimeWarner (which owns Turner Sports) mainly so Fox could get the broadcast rights to Turner Sports' properties (MLB, NBA, NCAA Tournament, etc). I bet Newscorp tries to buy them out again. Otherwise FS1, will go for a few more years with limited content, and that could bankrupt the channel since no one is watching.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
foxsports is slowly picking up programing

-big 12/pac12 football and basketball
-ufc
-the world cup
-us open golf
-nl playoffs for mlb
-nascar

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy the next couple seasons, because the next lockout will probably be quite prolonged.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch FS1 100x more than I do ESPN.

Then you are missing out on some quality programming.

Espn just ran a story about the pillow top toilet paper Lebron uses to wipe his ass.

:gaah: