• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The most improved NFL teams so far in the 2024 off-season (FA's, re-signing, trades, etc.)...at least on paper

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highlighted four of the teams you mentioned, being those are my four on your list to be the top candidates for most improved. I'd rank the Commanders as #1 because not only have they already improved themselves during this early free agency phase, but they also have 5 picks in the first three rounds. If nothing else, they're setting a solid foundation. I also like/hate what Carolina is doing this offseason. The hate part comes from the fact that we have their '25 2nd round pick, so I'm hoping they suck again, but it looks like they're doing their best at turning the ship around. If the Falcons key players stay healthy, and specifically Cousins avoiding reinjury, then yeah they're looking good, too. My Bears have definitely improved, but like any team not named the Texans, going with a rookie QB, they might be improved overall, yet not show it in the standings.

BTW, the reason you couldn't include your Lions amongst the most improved is due to them already being a league powerhouse. But I don't see last year as an anomoly, I think they are going to kill it again this year as well. Solid roster, solid coaching.
The Commanders and Panthers look like they will get better after their FA moves, although neither will be in the playoff hunt in my opinion.

I do like the Bears chances of improving, but it likely will take a season or two for Williams.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins gets more hate than any QB at his level I can ever remember. Yet when he signs with the Falcons suddenly they are the offseason winners.

I am not showing my bias when I say so far it's Washington, because they had so much room for improvement. They didn't sign just the linebackers, they signed a ton of guys to short term deals. They filled a lot of holes even before the draft where they have 6 picks in the top 100 and a great talent evaluator. They will have at least 11 new starters, if the QB they pick hits they will be the most improved team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins gets more hate than any QB at his level I can ever remember. Yet when he signs with the Falcons suddenly they are the offseason winners.

I am not showing my bias when I say so far it's Washington, because they had so much room for improvement. They didn't sign just the linebackers, they signed a ton of guys to short term deals. They filled a lot of holes even before the draft where they have 6 picks in the top 100 and a great talent evaluator. They will have at least 11 new starters, if the QB they pick hits they will be the most improved team.
I think the idea is that they'll be going from the 30th best QB to the 12th best QB so thats a big bump. That said, stylistically the Falcons were the most run-heavy team in the league for the past couple of seasons IIRC and Cousins to my knowledge has always been a volume thrower. (KOC is generally top 3 in pass heavy offenses, Atlanta in the past was top 4 run heavy offense). Its hard to fully know what the Falcons will look like

Washington will have a youth movement. This draft will make or break them for the next five years probably.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the idea is that they'll be going from the 30th best QB to the 12th best QB so thats a big bump. That said, stylistically the Falcons were the most run-heavy team in the league for the past couple of seasons IIRC and Cousins to my knowledge has always been a volume thrower. (KOC is generally top 3 in pass heavy offenses, Atlanta in the past was top 4 run heavy offense). Its hard to fully know what the Falcons will look like

Washington will have a youth movement. This draft will make or break them for the next five years probably.
I heard that the Falcons had the #4 rated offensive line last year. If they are even in the top ten next season, with the receivers they have, Cousins will have all day to throw. It doesn't mean they are going to be SB contenders, but they will easily be a playoff team as Cousins has proven he is a great regular season QB. That's why I think they will be the most improved team.

I like what Washington is doing, but I'm going to tap the breaks on them being this greatly improved team in 2024. They have Mariotta and Fromm as their two QB's right now. They also have a new coach, although I think Quinn is a good coach. I could see them moving from 4 wins to 8, but that still wouldn't make them a playoff team, even though they doubled their wins. They are likely going to get the #2 QB in the draft, unless they trade back. If they go the rookie QB route (which I think they will), I don't see them greatly improving next year. Although I've already been wrong many times today. :D

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a dominant force. Probably runs for 1500 to take the heat off lamar and give the offense a new look for the post-season. He didn't take a full load early in his career either.

I doubt he gets a full load in Baltimore either.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one team that may surprise people next year is Minnesota. They seem to be solid across the board. It seems they are going to ride the Sam Darnold train next year, so I'm not sure if he can rise above his mediocre career so far, but he certainly will have some great weapons and a solid defense to help him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one team that may surprise people next year is Minnesota. They seem to be solid across the board. It seems they are going to ride the Sam Darnold train next year, so I'm not sure if he can rise above his mediocre career so far, but he certainly will have some great weapons and a solid defense to help him.

Yeah, looks good until you get to Darnold. They're likely to trade up with their two 1st rounders, but if that ends up being JJ then he probably sits a year behind Darnold and.....meh?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was all excited to tout the Rams moves.....and then AD retired. 2 steps forward, 1 giant step back...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if Baltimore is trying to move Lamar to run less and stay in the pocket more? He stayed healthy last year and still was a pretty active runner (I think he usually averages about 9-10 rushing attempts per game iirc). I wonder if Henry will allow them to begin to diminish those attempts next year?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, looks good until you get to Darnold. They're likely to trade up with their two 1st rounders, but if that ends up being JJ then he probably sits a year behind Darnold and.....meh?

That would be an interesting play, although JJ seems to be hot right now (at least according to the media). I wonder if they wouldn't have to grossly overpay to get him? Especially if he rises to the #3 QB on most teams boards.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Baltimore is trying to move Lamar to run less and stay in the pocket more? He stayed healthy last year and still was a pretty active runner (I think he usually averages about 9-10 rushing attempts per game iirc). I wonder if Henry will allow them to begin to diminish those attempts next year?

They shouldn't, as Lamar's running ability is a key asset. The Ravens just keeping throwing more RBs at their persistent injury issues as the position.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be an interesting play, although JJ seems to be hot right now (at least according to the media). I wonder if they wouldn't have to grossly overpay to get him? Especially if he rises to the #3 QB on most teams boards.

If he rises to #3, then the Vikes would actually get a better return IMO on a trade up for #4 (not a fan of JJ).

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he rises to #3, then the Vikes would actually get a better return IMO on a trade up for #4 (not a fan of JJ).
I don't know. Why would New England not ask for a HUGE return for their #3 draft pick if they have JJ on their board as #3? (Assuming that Chicago and Washington both take the #1 and #2 QB's in the first two picks)

If JJ is #3 on NE's board, I don't see them giving him away unless the Vikes step up with a massive offer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Why would New England not ask for a HUGE return for their #3 draft pick if they have JJ on their board as #3? (Assuming that Chicago and Washington both take the #1 and #2 QB's in the first two picks)

No, I mean if JJ goes #3, the Vikes would actually get a better QB trading up to #4 (either Daniels or Maye, whomever falls).

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I mean if JJ goes #3, the Vikes would actually get a better QB trading up to #4 (either Daniels or Maye, whomever falls).

I gotcha. I think Maye is going to be #2. So I think it would likely be Daniels if NE takes JJ.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they will want to keep him healthy for the playoffs and the league is retardedly adding games so us real fans will have to watch shittier runningbacks more instead of the King.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they will want to keep him healthy for the playoffs and the league is retardedly adding games so us real fans will have to watch shittier running backs more instead of the King.

Keaton Mitchell was showing out last year prior to his injury (8.4 ypc), albeit in limited carries. I think he's still part of the mix. Henry averaged half of that last year, still solid but league average-ish.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keaton Mitchell was showing out last year prior to his injury (8.4 ypc), albeit in limited carries. I think he's still part of the mix. Henry averaged half of that last year, still solid but league average-ish.
Yeah the Titans were trash and the Ravens can run anyone back there.

Now they have a real talent.