• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ's 2015-2016 NFL prospect chat

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows where Kaep goes and what he does?
I'd take him in a heart beat over Goff or Wentz because of what we already know. He is a Superbowl QB (Nearly won it), he compliments a team with a good defense and good running game, he knows the NFC West opponents well.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like who? Which spread QBs are you talking about? Only 1 comes to my mind that's been SOMEWHAT consistent and that's Cam Newton. He's also 6'5 250 and can take a beating WAY more than any other QB in the league. Russell Wilson has done a good job, but he's been more of a game manager having Marshawn and that defense = ball control. Cam also benefits from solid RBs and solid D.

I like a mobile QB too and I'm all for an offense that suits the team on the field, especially at QB. Mariota can mix in the spread, but better what his bhack.. RG3 did it for what?? 2 years? Bridgewater was ok last year but took some hits. Who else has ran the spread? Kaepernick had a good year and San Fran went to shit.

Besides the ones you listed, Carr was in a spread, Bortles was as well. Same with Dalton and Alex Smith. Many of the QB's coming in now are from spread systems or have some sort of up-tempo game on offense. NFL teams are adjusting and having to develop elements of the spread into their gameplans. It also doesn't hurt that the NFL is doing everything in its power to limit what NFL defenses can do to offensive players.

I'll agree that spread QB's are more likely to bust out, but that shouldn't deter teams from taking one if they have a good head on their shoulders.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take him in a heart beat over Goff or Wentz because of what we already know. He is a Superbowl QB (Nearly won it), he compliments a team with a good defense and good running game, he knows the NFC West opponents well.

I would have to disagree. He still can't read defenses and doesn't throw with any anticipation. If you have a good enough line (or he can make enough time), he waits until someone comes wide open before he'll pull the trigger. Otherwise, it's one read then run. He's a fantastic athlete, but I don't think he has the head for pro QB.

Anyone can be a superbowl QB if your running game and defense are the reasons you got there. Dilfer is the popular example, but there are several throughout the history of the league. As far as knowing the NFC West well, I would argue that they all know him well and he has really regressed the last few years as a result.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RF, we are not talking about spread QB's in the NFL right now, we are talking about spread QB's on the Rams. I mentioned Foles had success with Chip didn't I? Again, you are just not accounting for the number of pass attempts Fisher is wanting our QB's to attempt. 20 -25 is about right. Do you want to address that?

I've only brought it up in the last three posts however was thinking about it all along, and you just want to poo poo it as if it wasn't a factor any QB rookie or not would have to deal with under center wearing horns.

And regarding the future, what makes you think Sean wouldn't do as well or better than Goff?

Sean already is a year ahead of Goff in the NFL and 3 years ahead of him since HS, plus he played in a Pro-style offense at Oregon State, took snaps from under center, and set all time PAC passing records...

With the QB's on the roster right now, we're not going to make the playoffs. Ever. We might have last year if we had Gurley for a full year, but losing some people on defense and no additions yet on the offensive side of the ball, 5-11 is looking more likely than a playoff contender.

Again, I don't care if Fisher is wanting to limit the number of passes to 20-25 times per game. I'd still take Goff over our current QB's this year and for the years ahead. The Rams need a franchise caliber QB and not a game manager. It hasn't worked for 6 years now, how's it going to all of a sudden change?

Considering Mannion has been deemed a project by everyone despite playing in a pro-style system, that doesn't read as a big red flag to you?

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say it now .... 0-16 BABY

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the QB's on the roster right now, we're not going to make the playoffs. Ever. We might have last year if we had Gurley for a full year, but losing some people on defense and no additions yet on the offensive side of the ball, 5-11 is looking more likely than a playoff contender.

Again, I don't care if Fisher is wanting to limit the number of passes to 20-25 times per game. I'd still take Goff over our current QB's this year and for the years ahead. The Rams need a franchise caliber QB and not a game manager. It hasn't worked for 6 years now, how's it going to all of a sudden change?

Considering Mannion has been deemed a project by everyone despite playing in a pro-style system, that doesn't read as a big red flag to you?
No it's not a red flag at this point, but I don't want to see QB's coming into the league and starting as rookies unless it's a consensus no brainer, like Luck, Newton or Winston, even then if they could sit, I'd rather see them sit.

Here's an article that basically states a point I was saying yesterday...
Rams still 'excited' to watch Sean Mannion develop General Manager Les Snead said. "All the new guys that we're covering at the combine are the sexy new objects and they get talked about, but a guy like Sean Mannion is right now somewhere on this planet trying to get better. And he’s got a goal in mind to start in this league, and that's what he's doing while these guys are just getting started.

"You go back to what New England did with Tom Brady. There was a guy they drafted in the sixth round, and that's an awesome pick obviously, but if you look at the history of what they did with him and the courage it took to play him when they played him, especially in the first Super Bowl they won. I think the No. 1 thing is you kind of have to look and say 'We like this human being and we're going to have the courage to stick him in there and see what occurs after that.'"

And here is a short list of QB's who didn't start more than 1 game in their Rookie year...
  • Joe Montana
  • Brett Farve
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Steve Young
  • Tom Brady
  • Johnny Unitas
  • Bart Starr
  • Roger Staubach
  • Jim Kelly
That's 60 percent of arguably the top 15 QB's of all time.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to disagree. He still can't read defenses and doesn't throw with any anticipation. If you have a good enough line (or he can make enough time), he waits until someone comes wide open before he'll pull the trigger. Otherwise, it's one read then run. He's a fantastic athlete, but I don't think he has the head for pro QB.

Anyone can be a superbowl QB if your running game and defense are the reasons you got there. Dilfer is the popular example, but there are several throughout the history of the league. As far as knowing the NFC West well, I would argue that they all know him well and he has really regressed the last few years as a result.
Well, Jim Harbaugh would have to disagree with you...
And his opinion probably holds more weight, especially with CK, than yours or mine.:lol:

Jim Harbaugh: Colin Kaepernick still a 'great player'

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note he said player, not QB. In that praise, he never once disagreed with any of my points above.
:lol: I'm guessing you're just having some fun.

JH does talk about CK as any player and any position, which of course includes QB.

Here's a link of the interview that you can listen to.

Has Harbaugh reached out to Kaep?

Last edited:

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i
No it's not a red flag at this point, but I don't want to see QB's coming into the league and starting as rookies unless it's a consensus no brainer, like Luck, Newton or Winston, even then if they could sit, I'd rather see them sit.

Here's an article that basically states a point I was saying yesterday...

And here is a short list of QB's who didn't start more than 1 game in their Rookie year...
  • Joe Montana
  • Brett Farve
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Steve Young
  • Tom Brady
  • Johnny Unitas
  • Bart Starr
  • Roger Staubach
  • Jim Kelly
That's 60 percent of arguably the top 15 QB's of all time.

And then you have Wilson, Manning, Marino and others who went on to become great QB's that started day 1. I think it just depends on the mental make up of the QB when they first arrive in the league and if the coaching staff will do enough to build talent around the rookie and put them in a position to succeed. Long term, Goff is a better option than what we have now, IMO. And I just happen to think next year he's a better option than all three.

But, if I'm Snead and Fisher, I'd rather move down and acquire more picks than move up. I just wouldn't be upset if they went up to #6 and took Goff.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest rumors and activity about inquiring about the number one overall pick comes with the Forty-Whiners and the Caboys. The Caboys have a major chubby for Ramsey and the Niners want Goff. If that happens and Cleveland takes Wentz, which many think they will, I suspect the Rams will trade down or stay put and select a DT with the number one. If the Rams still have a stiffy for Lynch, he'll be there in the later rounds as his stock continues to fall. I think all the talk about the Rams trading up was a smoke screen-a usual Fisher ploy this time of the year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: I'm guessing you're just having some fun.

JH does talk about CK as any player and any position, which of course includes QB.

Here's a link of the interview that you can listen to.

Has Harbaugh reached out to Kaep?

He said he's competitive, athletic, smart and tough. I agree with all of that, other than perhaps the application of that intelligence. Like I said, he doesn't throw with anticipation (doesn't read defenses to see where players WILL get open) and doesn't often get beyond his first read. When his first read is available, he looks great and will get the ball where it needs to be. When it isn't, he holds the ball too long or takes off running. As teams have adjusted to him, his effectiveness has dropped. Until Kaep learns to "throw people open" like the top QBs do, his limits will remain.

That's not to say he can't be an effective player in the right system (and Kubiak's system may be the right choice, or perhaps Chip's). If he's expected to put pressure on the defense with his athleticism and hit his first read when available, often only reading half the field, he can do that and help your team. I just don't see him ever being a QB that will hurt you by progressing through his reads, which can help your defense contain him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest rumors and activity about inquiring about the number one overall pick comes with the Forty-Whiners and the Caboys. The Caboys have a major chubby for Ramsey and the Niners want Goff. If that happens and Cleveland takes Wentz, which many think they will, I suspect the Rams will trade down or stay put and select a DT with the number one. If the Rams still have a stiffy for Lynch, he'll be there in the later rounds as his stock continues to fall. I think all the talk about the Rams trading up was a smoke screen-a usual Fisher ploy this time of the year.

Is Lynch's stock still falling? The pundits seemed very positive about his pro day. Otherwise, I agree. Rams can either stay put and take BPA (depending on who slides to them) or trade down and pick up assets. I think their "need" positions in general would be better value later in the first round than #15.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word I am seeing is that the Kaepernick trade to the Broncos will not happen to at least draft day or thereafter. Elway has some convincing to do with the Whiners as they are asking too much. Elway also has to convince Kaepernick to take a pay cut because right now his contract won't fit with the Broncos salary cap. SO let's just say that the Broncos are the only team interested and it'll take the pressure and craziness of the draft to change some people's minds.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who you read Shopson. His pro day did stop the slide but others say no. The Rams still like him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a stark reminder of just how bad some of our FO moves on draft day can be for the Rams over the years. WE actually traded Jerome Bettis to hand the job to Lawrence Phillips. Bettis went on to win a ring with Pissburgh and Phillips went on to die in jail cell. The subsequent moves on that 1996 draft day were not exactly sterling either. What a screw-up!

Rams traded Jerome Bettis to roll dice on Lawrence Phillips ... and lost

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure we lost big on Phillips, but his failing paved a trade for Marshall Faulk. If Phillips was half way decent, we would held on to him for too long, hoping he behaved himself in the offseason.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word I am seeing is that the Kaepernick trade to the Broncos will not happen to at least draft day or thereafter. Elway has some convincing to do with the Whiners as they are asking too much. Elway also has to convince Kaepernick to take a pay cut because right now his contract won't fit with the Broncos salary cap. SO let's just say that the Broncos are the only team interested and it'll take the pressure and craziness of the draft to change some people's minds.
Why would Kaep take a paycut? He will be making $19M a year. He's in the drivers seat regarding his 6 year deal & salary.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly one of the sticking points to actually getting a trade done between the Broncos and the Whiners, Vita. Kaepernick is not too keen on taking a pay cut.