• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ's 2015-2016 NFL prospect chat

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to get dialed in after watching a lot of Saturday football the past few months. Usually I do this in week 4 or 5, but this year my Rams actually were doing well out of the gate and I have been busy.

Feel free to add in prospects that you have been able to watch from your region of the country.

First I will start by saying the 2014-2015 College football year was the year of the QB. Mariota and Winston went 1-2 and there were far more good NFL QB prospects last year than this year.

This year in College football is the year of the RB - even though some of the best in the game have to stay 1 more year. Of the ones that can come out, Ezekiel Elliot - Ohio St and Derrick Henry - BAMA seem to stand out and for good reason. Alex Collins - ARK and I've always liked Kenyan Drake - BAMA (if he can stay healthy he's a lightning rod). Kenneth Dixon - La Tech is another good one.

WRs coming out?? LaQuan Treadwell - Ole Miss, Josh Doctson - TCU, Corey Coleman - Baylor, Michael Thomas - Ohio St, Tyler Boyd - Pitt all seem to be pretty good and run sub 4.5 40s. Doctson is a beast if healthy.

TEs don't look very impressive. Probably a better idea to watch college basketball and see if you can find a project.

QBs?? Not impressed with Jared Goff at all. He had some shaky games against decent defenses in the Pac 12 and sure hit lit up Oregon St and AZ St. Connor Cook better than Kirk Cousins? Maybe.. SO what does that mean? 3rd rounder? I would not spend a 2nd rounder on Cook. I think Kevin Hogan is every bit as good as Cook. Paxton Lynch? Another ?? I don't see one duel threat QB coming out that's worth a $h!t really. Lot of questionable pocket passers IMO.

OT's? There are a few good ones, but who knows how good? Laremy Tunsil - Ole Miss and Ronnie Stanley - Notre Dame are headlining this class for now.

Defense is an entirely different story. Always some serious talent on D out of the SEC and the CBs seem to have some top tier talent this year. Florida St is DBU :yes:

I will add more as we head towards 2016.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

No Paxton Lynch does NOT look like Cam Newton. Maybe in the face.. Lynch can barely run under a 5.0 40 and that ain't going to help him avoid a pass rush in the NFL.

Is Connor Cook better than Kirk Cousins is my question? I don't think so. So to me that = 3rd rounder and not wasting a 2nd rounder on Cook.

Jared Goff threw 5 INTs @ Utah this year. Sure he owned Oregon St and AZ St, but he really wasn't that great in a conference not known for defense. Only reason he's getting hype is because this is a weak QB class and the media wants to compare him to Aaron Rogers. Why? Because they both went to Cal. :L

So far we have 2 big question marks that were good and bad in their WEAK defensive conferences. They sure didn't dominate like I would expect a 1st rounder to. Now will some team reach on a few of these guys and the hype? Probably.

Carson Wentz NDSU has a 4.0 GPA that's great.

Hackenburg?
Cardale Jones?
Kevin Hogan?

I'll pass on all unless they fall to me later in the draft.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sleeper!!

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Miss St / NC State game, I could see either QB fitting in well with the Rams as a developmental mobile QB prospect (Prescott, Brissett). Brissett underperformed, but Miss St was clearly the better team. Brissett really showed some toughness.
As far as the other pro prospect QBs this bowl season, Goff looked very good and is very much a pro style pocket passer. Lynch put up an absolute stinker. Cook couldn't do much against Alabama's dominating defense; when he finally did get a roll going, he threw a redzone pick. Sucks that Boykin was stupid enough to get arrested, wanted one more look at him as well.

Took this from the negativity/Sam Bradford thread by @shopson67

Turn on the Stanford game. I like what I see in Kevin Hogan and he's got wheels for a white boy. I like how he has very quick decision making. Really good QB - no way he's the #11 ranked QB in the upcoming draft.

Prescott is tempting.. Maybe Tyrod Taylorish in 2-3 years? Goff... depends where he falls, he's no Luck or Mariota or Jameis when you compare young QBs. Lynch is a big ??

Last edited:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some team is going to get a great RB with Elliott.

He was a beast today.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Center from Iowa is pretty good. Rated #6 Center in the draft. Big 10 Olineman usually are pretty good.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 10 knows how to grow linemen on both sides of the ball

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like Doctson WR TCU a lot. 6'3 200 lbs good hands and had 14 TDs this year. He's a beast. May not be Sammy Watkins tho, so we should have a shot if we are picking 16th or so.

If we end up 8-8 and i'm pretty we will, I sure hope a good LT is there or I say we grab a WR like Doctson. Kevin Hogan is going to move back up draft boards. He was a top rated QB the past few years and dropped a lot this year.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, with the current regime sticking around, I just can't expect them to draft right when it comes to offensive players.

Gurley was a gift due to the injury- otherwise, he's gone within the top 5.

Austin has shown flashes, but considering Hopkins could've been had without trading up and losing a draft pick, that is still a bust pick.

Havenstein and Brown look to be okay, but still too early to tell for sure.

Robinson is a bust at LT, and many of us here knew that before they even drafted him. the only way to salvage that pick is to move him to guard and hope he succeeds. but even if he does, it is still a bust pick because you don't draft guards at #2.

they can't draft TE's ( or pick good ones in FA for that matter ). the WR's are still a mess after addressing the position for the past several drafts.

I'd feel more confident if you were making the picks versus this regime to be honest.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, with the current regime sticking around, I just can't expect them to draft right when it comes to offensive players.

Gurley was a gift due to the injury- otherwise, he's gone within the top 5.

Austin has shown flashes, but considering Hopkins could've been had without trading up and losing a draft pick, that is still a bust pick.

Havenstein and Brown look to be okay, but still too early to tell for sure.

Robinson is a bust at LT, and many of us here knew that before they even drafted him. the only way to salvage that pick is to move him to guard and hope he succeeds. but even if he does, it is still a bust pick because you don't draft guards at #2.

they can't draft TE's ( or pick good ones in FA for that matter ). the WR's are still a mess after addressing the position for the past several drafts.

I'd feel more confident if you were making the picks versus this regime to be honest.

I would have an all star team on offense I know that. May not have the defense that we have right now, but It would be okay. I like the Gurley pick and the Havenstein pick. Just would have taken PJ Williams over Sean Mannion or even Brett Hundley instead. Last years draft was pretty good because Gurley is already an all-pro and Havenstein will be a pretty good RT for awhile.

Going forward TE's coming out are a crap shoot. Like I said, you may have better luck watching college basketball and finding someone.

If we could get lucky and grab a good LT, WR, and TE our offense could be a lot better. Now it really has nowhere to go but up, but still...

TOTALLY agree that GRob needs to move to LG even if Saffold returns. Can we really count on Saffold?

We should have locked up Trumaine Johnson a long time ago. The guy is a Richard Sherman clone as far as size, speed, tackling.. Now Tru might get into the all-pro game as a sub and even if he doesn't now the Rams are gonna have to shell out more cash for him.

Tavon was a reach, but with the right #1 WR and other weapons around him, he very dangerous with the ball.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Austin, but they could've had that #1 WR in Hopkins and kept their 2nd round pick to address other needs.

I have liked Johnson from the start. it is a shame they didn't lock him up earlier and they will either have to overpay to keep him, or they will lose him. I'd rather lose Jenkins than Johnson if we have to choose.

Saffold was a waste of money with his injury history and the Rams should've known that. I mean, who is on their medical staff that okayed his injury when the Raiders staff balked? clearly, they know what they are doing and we don't.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Austin, but they could've had that #1 WR in Hopkins and kept their 2nd round pick to address other needs.

I have liked Johnson from the start. it is a shame they didn't lock him up earlier and they will either have to overpay to keep him, or they will lose him. I'd rather lose Jenkins than Johnson if we have to choose.

Saffold was a waste of money with his injury history and the Rams should've known that. I mean, who is on their medical staff that okayed his injury when the Raiders staff balked? clearly, they know what they are doing and we don't.

Amen to this TLF!!

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any interest in Vernon Hargreaves III, CB from Florida?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

No Paxton Lynch does NOT look like Cam Newton. Maybe in the face.. Lynch can barely run under a 5.0 40 and that ain't going to help him avoid a pass rush in the NFL.

Is Connor Cook better than Kirk Cousins is my question? I don't think so. So to me that = 3rd rounder and not wasting a 2nd rounder on Cook.

Jared Goff threw 5 INTs @ Utah this year. Sure he owned Oregon St and AZ St, but he really wasn't that great in a conference not known for defense. Only reason he's getting hype is because this is a weak QB class and the media wants to compare him to Aaron Rogers. Why? Because they both went to Cal. :L

So far we have 2 big question marks that were good and bad in their WEAK defensive conferences. They sure didn't dominate like I would expect a 1st rounder to. Now will some team reach on a few of these guys and the hype? Probably.

Carson Wentz NDSU has a 4.0 GPA that's great.

Hackenburg?
Cardale Jones?
Kevin Hogan?

I'll pass on all unless they fall to me later in the draft.

I might be biased on this but I really think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at Brandon Doughty in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I've watched the guy for four years and he's improved immensely. He looked completely lost when he was in Willie Taggart's and Bobby Petrino's offenses but once Brohm got to WKU, the guy found a massive amount of confidence and fully exceeded expectations. And the thing is, is that I seriously believe that he can improve even more and would be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round. Also from WKU, I'd take a look at their TE, Tyler Higbee in the middle rounds as well. He was hurt some this year but I think he's a guy that will do very well in the NFL.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be biased on this but I really think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at Brandon Doughty in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I've watched the guy for four years and he's improved immensely. He looked completely lost when he was in Willie Taggart's and Bobby Petrino's offenses but once Brohm got to WKU, the guy found a massive amount of confidence and fully exceeded expectations. And the thing is, is that I seriously believe that he can improve even more and would be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round. Also from WKU, I'd take a look at their TE, Tyler Higbee in the middle rounds as well. He was hurt some this year but I think he's a guy that will do very well in the NFL.

'Might be biased"? Just busting your balls UVA, I know absolutely nothing about them, nor anyone else for that matter, that's why I don't try to evaluate anyone in college, to many sure things that "aren't"

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great thread, SJ76!

A couple of points on the earlier posts:

1) Totally agree about the QB's. IMO we should wait until the 3rd and grab the best available QB. There's plenty of tape on everybody and the combine always hypes what we already have seen on tape.

2) In the "give credit where credit is due department", Fisher and Snead did very well selecting Trumaine Johnson based on Fisher's son having gone to the same college as Johnson. Hargreaves from Florida hurt his stock with his performance against Michigan.

3) Based on our round 1 draft strategy, the best player available, it wouldn't surprise me and I would actually support, the selection of the injured Notre Dame linebacker, Jaylon Smith. Of course, this depends on his recovery time since he was injured a couple of days ago as opposed to Gurley's early season injury. I expect we will be picking in the low 20's based on a win this Sunday against SF. All the WR's and OT's that we would want will be gone. Smith could be groomed to take over at MLB for JL55 because of his talent or we could keep him at OLB.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Might be biased"? Just busting your balls UVA, I know absolutely nothing about them, nor anyone else for that matter, that's why I don't try to evaluate anyone in college, to many sure things that "aren't"

Just a wee bit Mascot-Monday-Western-Kentucky-Big-Red.jpg :whistle:

Someone's gotta take up for the big red blobby thing that they have as a mascot. :whoo:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the Miss St / NC State game, I could see either QB fitting in well with the Rams as a developmental mobile QB prospect (Prescott, Brissett). Brissett underperformed, but Miss St was clearly the better team. Brissett really showed some toughness.
As far as the other pro prospect QBs this bowl season, Goff looked very good and is very much a pro style pocket passer. Lynch put up an absolute stinker. Cook couldn't do much against Alabama's dominating defense; when he finally did get a roll going, he threw a redzone pick. Sucks that Boykin was stupid enough to get arrested, wanted one more look at him as well.

Took this from the negativity/Sam Bradford thread by @shopson67

Turn on the Stanford game. I like what I see in Kevin Hogan and he's got wheels for a white boy. I like how he has very quick decision making. Really good QB - no way he's the #11 ranked QB in the upcoming draft.

Prescott is tempting.. Maybe Tyrod Taylorish in 2-3 years? Goff... depends where he falls, he's no Luck or Mariota or Jameis when you compare young QBs. Lynch is a big ??

I like Hogan as well, but that javelinish wind-up of his is going to need some work. He definitely has a lot of moxie, if not the most accurate QB. I think after Goff and maybe Cook (don't know much about Wentz), it seems the rest of these guys could be put in just about any order depending on the system you want to run.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw him play Southern Miss.. His arm is a big ?

He threw a lot of floaters my man. He needs some zip on his passes. Other than that I thought he was fine.