• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seriously, I give up

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you remember the Parrots' meltdown in 2012, that was child's play compared to this one.
These guys are going to lose 90 games.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Ludwick for a toilet plunger honestly

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say the Reds are shopping Matt Latos, Hope they can do better with their trades, than they have done in the past, if you know what I mean

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ludwick is untradable without paying him anyway. He has a buyout if they don't pick up his contract next year. This season including the buyout next year will cost them about $10 million, I believe. I can't believe they couldn't have found a better player for that. Fact is, last season, before signing the 2 year plus option with the Reds, he was a $3M free agent that didnt get a better offer- no wonder. The Reds bet the better part of $14M Spudwick was going to repeat the best 3.5 months in the previous 3.5 years AGAIN at 36 after his 5th shoulder surgery ? No team is willing to trade much for that. Reds might get a 56th round bubble gum card, if they pickup his contractwas and buyout.

Ludwick was a mistake that wouldn't have hurt them if Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Latos, etc. had played to full season expectations, and in fact, suprizing improvements from Hamilton, Frazier and Mesoraco couldn't make up for the big boys, Ludwick couldnt either.

Trading Latos or Chapman or Cueto isn't going to suddenly make this team whole, by definition their absence would just create another hole. Only the core playing to potential, or the next great farm hand to replace them can do that.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walt didn't make any deals at the deadline for a good reason.
The only players he needs to replace are the replacement players. And even then, these guys are basically playing above and beyond their skill levels.
As for left field, you get a guy off the free agent wire. Do not trade pitchers to get a left fielder. I cannot believe there are "experts" who think Walt ought to unload an MLB seasoned rotation guy for a bat in left field.
There isn't anything to fix, with the exception of polishing up what seems to be a worn-out bullpen.
I do think if you're gonna go half a season with a fill-in lineup, those guys ought to be league minimum. Kris Negron is an example. Jack Hannahan is not.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't fix injuries. Maybe if possible, work on strengthening the bench this winter. The day of the fire sale is over, or at least drastically slowed down. I think mainly that is do to the wild card.

Is everyone on vacation? I would be disappointed if everyone quit posting here. I don't think I could handle posting on the CBS boards (I mean board) anymore.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Mr. Eburg.

There's an upside to the injury bug moving forward if the injured return healthy and productive next season. The injuries have necessitated thrusting players into the forefront that normally would hit down the lineup. The experience Meso and Frazier are getting in higher leverage AB's hitting 3rd and 4th should pay dividends next season if Votto, Phillips, and Bruce can return close to their form of yesteryear.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pull yourself together!!!! NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still plugging along at 4 games back but I still do not see reason to believe we can pull out a playoff spot. Need to hit the ball on a more consistent basis. Negron is getting it done--keep him in the lineup at all costs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't fix injuries. Maybe if possible, work on strengthening the bench this winter. The day of the fire sale is over, or at least drastically slowed down. I think mainly that is do to the wild card.

Is everyone on vacation? I would be disappointed if everyone quit posting here. I don't think I could handle posting on the CBS boards (I mean board) anymore.

Not many boards worth posting on. They have been taken over by people who have zero idea how to comment about baseball. The average comment is "trade Votto" or "Bailey's contract killed the Reds."

At least Bailey is showing up for the games.

The CBS board turned into a couple of vinegar-mouths who blindly believe that optimism is useful and anybody who disagrees with them ought to not be allowed to comment.

Red Reporter has Votto worship. Don't even DARE to criticize his Joey-ness.

The MLB board turns into an Obama hate-fest part of the time.

So that leaves the Hoop.

Not much new to discuss with this team.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I know what your talking about concerning the CBS board. they said that, my ideas were way out there, because I said that its harder to find a 3rd basemen than a 1st.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where fuck-wad Steve Smith had still another runner thrown out at the plate on a play where the Reds didn't need to score the run and ... as luck would have it for the 24th time this year ... didn't score it.

When you can't score runs, you can't score runs. You can also depend on the fact that the average big league outfielder can, when charging a ball head-on, throw it fairly accurately for 180 feet.
Smith evidently hasn't caught onto that.
He's cost this team 5 games this year and the Reds will not get better with this fuckin' idiot at 3rd base.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think it could get worse after Mark Berry. I was wrong.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if that wasn't bad enough, every baserunner in history has drawn a throw on a 3-2 count and nobody on in a close game. I have NEVER SEEN it to fail.
Chris Heisey obviously spends a lot of time talking to Steve Smith.
That one was the final coffin nail.'

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been unusually busy this summer- mostly why I haven't posted more. I have seen a lot of Reds though. To be honest, I'm thrilled the Reds are where they are, considering where I thought they would be missing so many key players. They still don't have a 3b coach, and still run bases badly, strike out too much and hit too little, but they've hung in close enough to be within a week long streak of a chance.

They gotta find another position for Mesoraco'a bat when he isn't catching. LF would be my choice. If Frazier was the 4th best bat on this team, like he was supposed to be, the Reds would have a 5 game lead. Votto may be hurt, or not, but he's the highest paid Red ever, and isn't even in the dugout. I have a problem with that. Bruce isn't hitting much, but he came back after 3 weeks with the same ailment Votto claims has kept him out most of the year. Hamilton has been a star playing with a bad hammy all year. Latos had 2 surgeries and is back. Chapman had his head exploded and came back. Phillips will be back soon after bending his thumb the wrong way. Votto needs to take a sniff of some of those roses and quit feeling sorry for himself, IMO. He's the biggest reason this team is still limping.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't even any updates on Votto. At least that I have seen or heard. Is it a quad injury or is it something they are not telling us

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing inside the limitations that are way more obvious than the brain-dead fans realize -- namely, it's not all that easy to shove somebody on first base and expect Keith Hernandez to show up.
But Mesoraco in left field might be an option going forward -- not this year, however.
Defense is still fairly good up the middle despite the turnover. Left and center fields are defensively not hurting. Bruce has been real sketchy. Slump is a slump is a slump.
Simon is out of gas. Price has no options. Just get 5 innings, hope for 5 runs.
I am continually amused and bewildered at how teams can cart out some has-been, yet-to-be, reclamation shoulder injury prospect ... and the guy can throw 7 shutout, 2-hit innings against this outfit. I realize a hitting coach can do only so much, but a hitting coach and a concept of actually paying attention ... i give up. Really.
I have given Votto the benefit of doubt but I have heard nothing that suggests he is in shape, out of self-respect, in town, out to lunch, over the rainbow or under the weather. Most sensible fans know this is a lost season.
There are plenty of idiots who think we should trade JJ Hoover for Matt Kemp and all will be well.
I think, if anything, I am more weary of the bonehead fans than I am of the team.
Steve Smith notwithstanding.
(There went your pennant ... at 3rd base.)

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zero word on Votto, and the fact he has the same injury that kept Bruce out 3 weeks, makes me believe he's on some depression related malady more than a sports related one. If true, imagine how depressed he would be if he made $34K a year as a cop, teacher or factory worker. Yeah, Jay Bruce sucks...but he's showing up for work every day. He was in the dugout while in the DL. BP and Votto, not so much. In my world, that says something...and in the interest of being fair, if a player is selfish or rude enough to not come to the game and give moral support until healthy, I see no reason to spare them the comfort of political correctness by not asking them why the phuck they can't.

BP is injured. Votto, I'm skeptical of.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans, don't have to pay dues, pass a test, or be sober. By definition, all they have to be a fan is say they are. I've been to a lot of games this year, and it seems like they're always over 30k attendance, so I think fans are doing their part. The team, however limited IMO, is probably doing about as good as they can, definately less than we fans are happy with though. Bruce having the worst season of his career hurts this team bad- and the Reds would be much worse if Mesoraco and Fraziet hadn't hit twice as many HR as anyone would have estimated. They both had the benefit of the opposition not being very afraid of them for 50 games, Bruce not so much...they looked at what was on deck and just tossed JB breakers off the plate...and he swung..a lot.

It's a game of adjustments, and honestly, if it's Reds hitters always having to adjust instead of opposing pitchers, the problem is larger than just an individual hitter...the daily lineup with Meso only playing every other game, less Phillips and Votto, and with Bruce hitting at his current pace isn't going to win much. The Reds spectacular pitching and defense is the only reason they win half the time. No offense, I like Pena, but when fans whine because he's not in the lineup, your lineup is starving to death.

The Reds just can't afford to go get replacements for triple digit million dollar contract players, so they have to play what they have. It's what we see now.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the season started, I really thought this was the Reds division to lose.