• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson benched

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you can't and I don't think anyone here is. The group on this page I think are more comprehensive than that. There are plenty of Broncos fans out there blaming him, but I do think this crowd is different. Our point is this: Wilson's contract says he is to elevate the team around him and lead them to wins. The numbers on that contract say that is what the Broncos are paying him to do. He is falling far short of that. The season is not all his fault. But he isn't delivering on his part of the bargain. Not by a long shot.
They were what? 1-5....and they went on a winning streak to get back into the WC race.

And apparently 2 months ago they wanted Wilson to restructure....he could have said fuck this and mailed it in. He didn't. He did what a leader does.....rally the troops and they started winning games....

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were what? 1-5....and they went on a winning streak to get back into the WC race.

And apparently 2 months ago they wanted Wilson to restructure....he could have said fuck this and mailed it in. He didn't. He did what a leader does.....rally the troops and they started winning games....
He can’t do that though. If he quits on the team or plays like the crap he was last year it’s not gonna look good for a potential next team. Russ is also auditioning for the future in hope that someone signs him.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked. I'm not a Broncos fan and don't really get into team news but I do know the Broncos are 6-3? in their last 9 and are teetering on a playoff spot. To bench a QB with that much talent and winning history( and still possess physical skill ) has to indicate it's more about something else than winning the games out.
I like Wilson ( wouldn't have minded him on my team ) he's a winner.
I wish I knew more about this to make a better judgment but you Broncos fans have a better grip, just couldn't help but wonder why and make a post.

Carry on

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked. I'm not a Broncos fan and don't really get into team news but I do know the Broncos are 6-3? in their last 9 and are teetering on a playoff spot. To bench a QB with that much talent and winning history( and still possess physical skill ) has to indicate it's more about something else than winning the games out.
I like Wilson ( wouldn't have minded him on my team ) he's a winner.
I wish I knew more about this to make a better judgment but you Broncos fans have a better grip, just couldn't help but wonder why and make a post.

Carry on
Russ is only playing good if you look at nothing but the box score and don’t watch any of the actual game, he just got out played by Bailey Zappe and the worst team in the AFC last week. This move is to save Denver $39 million next year in case Russ gets hurt these final 2 games since they aren’t planning on keeping him.

Russ is a great person, he’s just an average QB unfortunately and isn’t worth the price he’s getting paid.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For whatever reason, the intermediate passing game has been non existent .. In general, it has been screens, dump offs and a few long heaves down the field .. Russ has not been running or orchestrating Sean Payton's vison of an offense ..

And I think that is killing the run game

I hesitate to quote some of the "experts" - but I do have respect for Mark Schereth - and while this was probably an exaggeration to make a point, a few weeks ago he said that the Broncos could "plug in any HS varsity QB" to do what Russ is doing .... Hyperbole, yes, but it sort of paints the picture ..

I like Russ, he has a great presence and command of the intangibles, however, his vision and abilities to run the offense that Payton wants is lacking ... and this is not a knock so much as a legitimate observation, but the wins we have had have reminded me of the Tim Tebow wins -- get behind, get in close games and pull out all the stops near the end of the game ,,,,

I love Tebow, but it just wasn't sustainable .. same goes for Russ ... Sean Payton is The Man now, and his vision was hampered by Russ' limitations

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing with Wilson - the Bronco's offense all year has been squeezed down to what Sean Payton trusts Russ Wilson to do. And - in Payton's eyes Wilson has failed to execute that minimum that was required of him.

I think Stidman has more ability than most QBs drug into Denver since Peyton Manning left.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ can l’t play inside a structured offense which is tough on everyone else. the oline is to block for x seconds. the WRs are to run pattens at exactly 12 yards all the while russ is rolling out because he can’t see or let the plays developing.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing with Wilson - the Bronco's offense all year has been squeezed down to what Sean Payton trusts Russ Wilson to do. And - in Payton's eyes Wilson has failed to execute that minimum that was required of him.

I think Stidman has more ability than most QBs drug into Denver since Peyton Manning left.
Strictly from a roster perspective it would be awesome if Stidham played himself into a starting role. It’s not likely but it would be nice so we wouldn’t need to worry about finding a QB.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly from a roster perspective it would be awesome if Stidham played himself into a starting role. It’s not likely but it would be nice so we wouldn’t need to worry about finding a QB.
Stidham got an overpaid two-year contract for a reason. I expect he will do well enough to at least make it a question - is he capable of becoming an NFL starter good enough for the Broncos. The 2nd year with Stidham gives the Broncos the flexibility to draft a QB who can potential compete with Stidham next year. Personally, I'm hot on Bo Nix as the QB I'd like - and he might be there in the middle of round 1.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to be cut even if it is with a post June 1 designation by Mid March or the 2025 full salary becomes guaranteed which makes trading him really hard.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to be cut even if it is with a post June 1 designation by Mid March or the 2025 full salary becomes guaranteed which makes trading him really hard.
You’d be stuck with him, no one would trade for him with that salary..

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ is only playing good if you look at nothing but the box score and don’t watch any of the actual game, he just got out played by Bailey Zappe and the worst team in the AFC last week. This move is to save Denver $39 million next year in case Russ gets hurt these final 2 games since they aren’t planning on keeping him.

Russ is a great person, he’s just an average QB unfortunately and isn’t worth the price he’s getting paid.
I’d say the Pats have the worst offense in the AFC. Not close to the worst defense, which is who Russ was facing.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d say the Pats have the worst offense in the AFC. Not close to the worst defense, which is who Russ was facing.

This.

Their D is actually pretty solid.

On offense they are better with Bailey Zappe then they were with Mac Jones but remember in this game they were also without Rhamondre Stevenson and Hunter Henry, who were their most productive offensive players this season.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take is that Russ isn't the answer and never has been, but there are other issues with this team that cutting Russ won't fix. Payton better have a plan moving forward, not just some hope and throw shit on the wall thinking it might stick like he did with QB after Drew in New Orleans. Yes he is a very good coach and can get you to a .500 record with subpar QB play, but even looking at his time in New Orleans he didn't always draft well and he is the person calling the draft shots now. With all the hope this season provided I was happy, but honestly this roster just isn't all that good and is nowhere close to SB contention good and I don't see an easy path to serious upgrades especially carrying the dead money we are going to have to suck up.

Again, while this season was fun for the first time in a while I don't see a path to getting much better for a few years. Well actually I do but it wouldn't make people all that happy. Trade PS2 for multiple 1sts or a 1st and multiple solid players. He will be really expensive before we are in contention again so let him go and jump start the overall roster. I would be bummed and would have to shelve my first new jersey in 7 years, but it should absolutely be considered.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One person who thinks Sean Payton has a plan is Russ Wilson.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't necessarily think that SP has some divine plan at this point in the season but rest assured, the Broncos are already working on their approach and priorities, heading into the off season. Will be interesting to see if Stidham can serve as a bridge QB beyond this year but ultimately, the plan needs to be in identifying our franchise QB in the next two drafts. Outside of a temporary situation, I really don't want to bring another savior to Denver.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how most fans and media have ragged on Russ for two years now and then the day he gets benched due to his contract more then anything, the same people rag on Sean Payton for being egotistical.

(I am not talking about people here because I haven't read many comments in this thread) but just in general.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how most fans and media have ragged on Russ for two years now and then the day he gets benched due to his contract more then anything, the same people rag on Sean Payton for being egotistical.

(I am not talking about people here because I haven't read many comments in this thread) but just in general.
I disagree with the notion Russ has been benched due the his contract as the biggest factor ...

By all accounts, the Broncos approached Russ about his contract back in October and advised that he could be benched if he did not opt of of the injury settlement .. So yes, there is that, however, when the team got on a roll and started winning, Russ remained the starter ..

So as long as the team was winning, Russ was our starter ... Had the Broncos rolled into Week 17 with a 9-6 or 10-5 record atop the West, Russ would still be in there as the starter ..

It is obvious that Russ just doesn't fit what Sean Payton wants .. Even if this was Russell Wilson of 2013, he's not a good fit for what Sean Payton has envisioned for his offense .. It was obvious when we signed Stidham that Russ wasn't the type of QB Payton wants

Has Russ ever really excelled at the crossing routes or deep posts, or other routes that require precision and timing and patience ?? .. I don;t think he was ever that type of QB and he certainly isn;t that now ... He's not a "between the hash marks" type of QB, and never really was ..

There were the comments from Payton early on about simplifying the offense and having Russ wear a wrist band, etc etc ... None of that was very encouraging ....

Russ' abilities in Seattle were moving from the pocket and creating plays, which, to me, is pretty much the antithesis of Sean Payton's precision offense that run like the Vienna Philharmonic ...

I think most of us can agree that Russ is a good guy, and he might have something remaining in the tank - he certainly showed he can still perform on an NFL field at times .... But at this point in his career, he is a lousy fit for a Sean Payton offense - whether he is making vet minimum or 30 some million a year .....

If the team was winning, Russ would be starting this Sunday, injury clause or not ...

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's good to know - we don't read comments in your threads either.