• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson benched

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to wait until after the season to comment on Wilson and his contract again, but since this news is out, now's the time.

Wilson wasn't great. He wasn't the reason the Broncos were losing games this year, though. (Maybe that Texans game.) But with his contract, he is being paid to shoulder the team and be the reason they win games, and he wasn't coming close to that mark. He has had the type of season we very likely could have gotten out of a rookie or journeyman, except we paid him top shelf money.

The experiment hasn't worked and if this is Sean Payton's team moving forward he deserves to work with a QB of his choosing.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the RW trade when they made it, hated the extension when they made it. The dead money is going to be tough for a couple years. I definitely liked the trade but as much as I did, I hated that extension.

Do you think it would be better to just eat all of the dead cap in one year or spread it out over two years? If we eat it all next year it’s gonna be tough but at least then we’re done.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Walton-Penner group should get RW to restructure his contract to $100k and then give him a paltry $100mm under the salary cap table. I'm guessing that might violate league rules but it sure sounds nice. :dhd:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it would be better to just eat all of the dead cap in one year or spread it out over two years? If we eat it all next year it’s gonna be tough but at least then we’re done.
I typically don't get into the business side of football, so I am actually borderline illiterate on how these contracts work and the cap implications. My understanding is that the contract carries a dead money hit for several years unless another team signs him.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interested in Dobbs or Mullens, Vikes might cut you a deal?

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically don't get into the business side of football, so I am actually borderline illiterate on how these contracts work and the cap implications. My understanding is that the contract carries a dead money hit for several years unless another team signs him.
I don't think so. I think the rest of his guaranteed money has to be paid upon his release, but depending on the way it is structured and when he is actually cut (or designated as a June 1st cut, which I'm not confident that I fully understand), the cap hit for it can be spread over a max of 2 years, I think.

And I am not sure it matters if another team signs him unless he does not clear waivers. When he is cut, teams can put a claim in for him to take over that contract and it goes in the order of the draft if 2 teams put a claim in. I am not sure that this affects anything with the guaranteed money. I think the new team is only on the hook for the salary and not the signing bonus.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ should have offered a re-structure after last years performance, he’s definitely played better this year but still not worth what the Broncos are paying him … A big part of this is what they’ll owe him should he get injured… His NFL career might be over, unless he comes with a reasonable price tag …

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I offer you a Drew Lock in this time of need?
KC is 9-6 .. Broncs are 7-8 .. While it is impossible to say with all the variables, my guess is that Denver would be atop the AFC West right now if Lock had been there Day 1 with Sean Payton and the starter ..

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can I offer you a Drew Lock in this time of need?
Stidham played well for the Raiders last season when Carr was benched.

Crazy that he is encountering this for the 2nd straight season....getting starts the last 2 games of the season.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to wait until after the season to comment on Wilson and his contract again, but since this news is out, now's the time.

Wilson wasn't great. He wasn't the reason the Broncos were losing games this year, though. (Maybe that Texans game.) But with his contract, he is being paid to shoulder the team and be the reason they win games, and he wasn't coming close to that mark. He has had the type of season we very likely could have gotten out of a rookie or journeyman, except we paid him top shelf money.

The experiment hasn't worked and if this is Sean Payton's team moving forward he deserves to work with a QB of his choosing.
66.4%, 205ypg, 6.9ypa, 26 TD's, 8 INT''s, 98 PR is not a typical rookie or journeyman numbers.

A lot of NFL teams would love a QB that had those numbers. Including Seattle, Vegas, NE, NYG, NYJ, Indy, Atlanta, to name some.

Last edited:

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
66.4%, 205ypg, 6.9ypa, 26 TD's, 8 INT''s, 98 PR is not a typical rookie or journeyman numbers.

A lot of NFL teams would love a QB that had those numbers. Including Seattle, Vegas, NE, NYG, NYJ, Indy, Atlanta, to name some.

I don’t think he means the specific stat line, but where the offense overall is ranked.

25th in yards per game

25th in passing yards per game

16th in points per game

There are several QBs that would have the offense performing just the same at a fraction of the cost…

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think he means the specific stat line, but where the offense overall is ranked.

25th in yards per game

16th in points per game

There are several QBs that would have the offense performing just the same at a fraction of the cost…
A lot of that is on the less than stellar play of the other skill guys....like Jeudy. Talented sure....but he has had his share of drops. At least in games I have seen this season.

Sutton has played well....

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But 21.8 PPG is.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

25th in yards per game

16th in points per game

Exactly. That stat line DJ quoted is the most redeeming thing about Wilson's production this year and it would look solid if one just logged onto ESPN and hit the stats tab to see how Broncos players performed this season. But it doesn't tell the whole story. Wilson has had some good moments this year, for sure. Enough to make me back off on my readiness to move on. But ultimately not enough to justify that contract. Not even close.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But 21.8 PPG is.
That isn't all on the QB....

Jeudy has had drops and been pretty meh this season.

Not to mention a less then stellar running game.

You can't blame this season on RW.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't all on the QB....

Jeudy has had drops and been pretty meh this season.

Not to mention a less then stellar running game.

You can't blame this season on RW.
No you can't and I don't think anyone here is. The group on this page I think are more comprehensive than that. There are plenty of Broncos fans out there blaming him, but I do think this crowd is different. Our point is this: Wilson's contract says he is to elevate the team around him and lead them to wins. The numbers on that contract say that is what the Broncos are paying him to do. He is falling far short of that. The season is not all his fault. But he isn't delivering on his part of the bargain. Not by a long shot.