• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RG3 thread

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Krush,

Just read that one on ESPN. I am pretty sure that some will just wish that RG3 would have just not replied like this (I might even think this way at times). However - I can see the flip side where anyone would just say "Enough is enough" & feel compelled to issue some type of reply to the fans & media. His overall reply was not that bad & I am sure that he is frustrated to a certain degree.

I will choose to be upbeat about this one & see this as yet another motivating factor for RG3 and the team. Overall - he has appeared to have handled himself well over the last few months (at least according to anything that is confirmed). I could see a lot of other high profile athletes handling the situation - being benched, attacked by the press, etc - much, much worse.

I would prefer he did not reply. His message might have merits, but his tone doesn't do him any favors.

Never argue with fools because from a distance people can't tell who is who.

Plus it gives the conspiracy theorists an opportunity to continue jumping in & adding more noise.

ESPN 980 Thom Loverro was saying he felt the timing of this statement was no coincidence... that he felt Griffin was attempting to get the light off the head coach and back onto him.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course this subject already has a thread on the general board.... With some hate from a few posters. Here is my response from there:

I truly wish Griff hadn't responded. There is no upside for him, even tho I don't consider his written response terrible. Just par for the course for someone who grew up in the context of his generation. And just not necessary.

He has no need to defend himself, he just needs to learn that it must be football first for him. People will hate regardless. And people will love him for his good performance on a football field.

Social media is a curse to athletes and celebrities until they learn how to use it appropriately. And he is still young.

Those of you who think he is a "head case" are welcome to your opinion, but I think you are buying into a narrative that is written for views and clicks. I respectfully disagree. We haven't seen the best of Griffin yet.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BINGO

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]422828908510081024[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why saying nothing is the best option. To comment or reply is just a lose/lose proposition for him.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why saying nothing is the best option. To comment or reply is just a lose/lose proposition for him.

I understand that & - as I mentioned above - even agree to a certain point. However - it is tough - especially at that age - to sit back & hear & read all of the criticism & not respond at all. As he matures he will probably handle this differently. In the end it will all be forgotten over time. Today's media just responds to the "flavor of the day" & moves on to trashing someone else.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's media just responds to the "flavor of the day" & moves on to trashing someone else.

it's not just the media though ... it's social media. Communicating this way just opens the flood gates for trolls to continue flaming him ...

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]422790778427949056[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Social media is a curse to athletes and celebrities until they learn how to use it appropriately. And he is still young.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that & - as I mentioned above - even agree to a certain point. However - it is tough - especially at that age - to sit back & hear & read all of the criticism & not respond at all. As he matures he will probably handle this differently. In the end it will all be forgotten over time. Today's media just responds to the "flavor of the day" & moves on to trashing someone else.

It is tough, but he's already seen what happens in the media/social media when he offers too much info, and it HAS NOT been good. Time to learn already that he CANT win, no matter how much he wants to respond. He doesn't need to change who he is, just how he responds to these singular type of situations.

Winning football games and success on the field will silence his critics. Only that. It has to be football first. He's not going to win any battles off the field. Period. Time for him to understand that.

Unlike some, I'm still one of Griffins biggest fans. He just needs to shake it off and focus on what he does best, hone his craft and play solid football. All else will fall in line as a result.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's young and frustrated. The Front Office needs to intervene. He REALLY needs a mentor. Someone that he can bounce things off of. Unfortunately, I don't see a player on the current roster that can act as this for him. This is where I would reach out to a D. Green or Art Monk.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's young and frustrated. The Front Office needs to intervene. He REALLY needs a mentor. Someone that he can bounce things off of. Unfortunately, I don't see a player on the current roster that can act as this for him. This is where I would reach out to a D. Green or Art Monk.

There's no doubt that his "inner circle" of trusted confidants are not guiding him smartly or properly.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course this subject already has a thread on the general board.... With some hate from a few posters. Here is my response from there:

I truly wish Griff hadn't responded. There is no upside for him, even tho I don't consider his written response terrible. Just par for the course for someone who grew up in the context of his generation. And just not necessary.

He has no need to defend himself, he just needs to learn that it must be football first for him. People will hate regardless. And people will love him for his good performance on a football field.

Those of you who think he is a "head case" are welcome to your opinion, but I think you are buying into a narrative that is written for views and clicks. I respectfully disagree. We haven't seen the best of Griffin yet.

i disagree . so far the only voices are the ones that malign him . somewhere , sometime you have to answer back or else the falsehoods become the truth

how many times does he have to walk away from "they dont show Rg3's bad plays " or how he lobbied for a coach " or " how has dinner with dan and brags about his power" or he is RGme or he is a diva or "his holiness" or how he doesnt take accountability ?

if i am him i wont roll over and listen to that without saying a word , whether it does any good or not, you have to be a man sometimes

RG3 is right they werent 3-13 because he did some commercials they werent 3-13 because he ate chilli with the owner

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disagree . so far the only voices are the ones that malign him . somewhere , sometime you have to answer back or else the falsehoods become the truth

how many times does he have to walk away from "they dont show Rg3's bad plays " or how he lobbied for a coach " or " how has dinner with dan and brags about his power" or he is RGme or he is a diva or "his holiness" or how he doesnt take accountability ?

if i am him i wont roll over and listen to that without saying a word , whether it does any good or not, you have to be a man sometimes

RG3 is right they werent 3-13 because he did some commercials they werent 3-13 because he ate chilli with the owner

Standing up for yourself in the forum of FB is literally absurd IMO. "Manning up" in athletics is typically not the spoken word, it is action and performance on the football field. Social media is not a platform that anyone usually "wins" on, it's social commentary of the most banal variety.

I don't have problem with Griffs FB response. But many will. What exactly Is the upside for him?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Standing up for yourself in the forum of FB is literally absurd IMO. "Manning up" in athletics is typically not the spoken word, it is action and performance on the football field. Social media is not a platform that anyone usually "wins" on, it's social commentary of the most banal variety.

I don't have problem with Griffs FB response. But many will. What exactly Is the upside for him?

new age and new time . the attacks are in the blogosphere why not answer back in them

the upside i already mentioned if you dont answer them and leave it alone then the only voice is that of the maligners . they are the only ones being heard

you get your side out and the other side doesnt control the whole narrative

not answering is passive acceptance

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new age and new time . the attacks are in the blogosphere why not answer back in them

the upside i already mentioned if you dont answer them and leave it alone then the only voice is that of the maligners . they are the only ones being heard

This is where I believe in the old adage, "Actions speak louder than words." That remains true, IMO, no matter the age or times. The blogosphere has created an arena of unnamed sources and slanderous keyboard warriors with no credibility or accountability. It's an opinion free for all and was created to be that way and won't change. You'll never "win" a narrative there, you'll only provide a talking point. The narrative will change only when the performance on the field changes. Just the reality of it as I see it.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He loves the attention. I know from his rant he is saying leave me alone, but his actions have been speaking quite the opposite. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him that he needs to concentrate on playing first, and playing at the elite level he thinks he plays at, and then he can do all this dumb shit he wants. Until then this is just another distraction that he is asking for and it will continue to follow him because he is allowing it every step of the way.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I believe in the old adage, "Actions speak louder than words." That remains true, IMO, no matter the age or times. The blogosphere has created an arena of unnamed sources and slanderous keyboard warriors with no credibility or accountability. It's an opinion free for all and was created to be that way and won't change. You'll never "win" a narrative there, you'll only provide a talking point. The narrative will change only when the performance on the field changes. Just the reality of it as I see it.

:agree:--- I don't care that he responded although I don't know that it was the smartest thing with a new coach in town. Much like Newton he received lots of praise his rookie year and lots of grief his 2nd year. Change the record and on-field performance and things will change for the better.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He loves the attention. I know from his rant he is saying leave me alone, but his actions have been speaking quite the opposite. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him that he needs to concentrate on playing first, and playing at the elite level he thinks he plays at, and then he can do all this dumb shit he wants. Until then this is just another distraction that he is asking for and it will continue to follow him because he is allowing it every step of the way.

I am pretty sure that he will work with Gruden, the new OC and others to address the flaws in his game. He is a hard worker and I am sure that his pride will drive him to elevate his game. This was not addressed last season primarily since he was rehabbing his knee. It is not as if he was out partying or not spending enough time on football matters. He just didn't have the time to dedicate to studying & improving at the QB position. We will see.

This is getting blown way out of proportion. So he responded to some criticism via Twitter - big deal. In the grand scheme of things this just a blip on the radar.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:--- I don't care that he responded although I don't know that it was the smartest thing with a new coach in town. Much like Newton he received lots of praise his rookie year and lots of grief his 2nd year. Change the record and on-field performance and things will change for the better.

Amen to that. In the meantime - ESPN & others will report every move he makes (since they lack creativity). We should just try to ignore this BS.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not just the media though ... it's social media. Communicating this way just opens the flood gates for trolls to continue flaming him ...

[MEDIA=twitter]422790778427949056[/MEDIA]

So what? As long as it does not affect his play it is not that big of a deal. I could give a crap about trolls. I don't see any signs that this is what affected his play to the pt. where he had a subpar year.

He didn't play poorly because he talked too much or was in the media too much. He play poorly since he couldn't see the whole field, was a bit slower, didn't know how to manage the clock, had a poor O-line & made some bad decisions. These are things either he or the team can & need to improve.

Now if he spends a considerable amt of time tweeting & responding to the press then I would agree with you. However - if your main pt is that he will have more critics both in the media and the general public - great - bring em on. I am sure that RG3 can take care of himself. People in the media and Twitter are way too self important. Time to reign it in & get back to the real world.

HTTR

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I just saw that the "Breaking News" on cnn.com is about police following up on an egg throwing incident at Justin Bieber's house (no joke). The mainstream media has officially lost it & is now a complete joke!!

Go ahead & worry about the media and people who camp on Twitter. I will just sit back & laugh at them & not view any of them as any better than the rest of us.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

all of this is over a sleeve he wears on his arm.

A. Sleeve. On. His. Arm.

It not his job to explain his uniform decisions to every fan on facebook and twitter.

I could care less about his uniform decisions or his "passive acceptance"

He does need to engage in these conversations.

He gains nothing but negative attention.

You'll never "win" a narrative there, you'll only provide a talking point. The narrative will change only when the performance on the field changes.

:agree: