• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB for Next Season

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to draft a QB that doesn't come in until Oct.? You don't see that as a problem, he isn't there for OTAs, training camp?

If you can make it in baseball, your salary is likely to be hire and you have a much better chance for a long career. Kid would be smart to play baseball if he is that good.

I am with you. I would consider him in the fifth.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to draft a QB that doesn't come in until Oct.? You don't see that as a problem, he isn't there for OTAs, training camp?

If you can make it in baseball, your salary is likely to be hire and you have a much better chance for a long career. Kid would be smart to play baseball if he is that good.

Well no, because in a world where there's never anything perfect, we have the ability to fire a few synapses in our quest to solve issues. Take a moment to read his story and you'll find that this "problem" was dealt with pretty damned successfully before. Here's the article:

Oklahoma Quarterback Kyler Murray Nears the End of a Two-Sport Career

Kyler Murray, the star quarterback for the Oklahoma Sooners, posted to Twitter a portrait of himself wearing football pads wh...
The New York Times · 2d

Better yet, here's the excerpt:

In the spring, Murray split his time between football practices and the baseball season. One Friday in April, said the baseball coach, Skip Johnson, Murray rode the bus down from Norman to Fort Worth, Tex., for a series against Texas Christian. He slugged two home runs from the cleanup spot in the No. 19 Sooners’ 8-5 win. He then flew up to Norman to make football practice a week ahead of the spring game. He was back on a plane in time for that Sunday’s doubleheader against T.C.U. He singled in the first game to extend a hit streak to seven games and drew a walk in the second.

In other instances, Johnson said, Murray would arrive at a home baseball game from football practice around 5:45 p.m. and take batting practice and shag fly balls before the 6:30 p.m. opening pitch.

“We kind of told him, ‘Hey, it’s not going to be easy, but you’re the one who signed up for this,’” Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma’s football coach, said this week.
“And give the kid credit,” Riley added, “he did, and did it at a high level.”

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, you're right, let's not even try to get the best player possible. Just in case some here don't get it, here's some clarity: Two things can be true at the same time!

The problem with baseball is how absolutely rare it is to go from NCAA ball to the show. He will do some time on an 2A or 3A team, riding buses and dealing with all of the BS that others will bring to him, while looking for that call, if it comes. Baseball is a difficult sport and you're right, if he makes it, the long term monetary benefits far outweigh those of the NFL in terms of time playing the sport. Again, I say that we try to get him here.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no, because in a world where there's never anything perfect, we have the ability to fire a few synapses in our quest to solve issues. Take a moment to read his story and you'll find that this "problem" was dealt with pretty damned successfully before. Here's the article:

Oklahoma Quarterback Kyler Murray Nears the End of a Two-Sport Career

Kyler Murray, the star quarterback for the Oklahoma Sooners, posted to Twitter a portrait of himself wearing football pads wh...
The New York Times · 2d

Better yet, here's the excerpt:

In the spring, Murray split his time between football practices and the baseball season. One Friday in April, said the baseball coach, Skip Johnson, Murray rode the bus down from Norman to Fort Worth, Tex., for a series against Texas Christian. He slugged two home runs from the cleanup spot in the No. 19 Sooners’ 8-5 win. He then flew up to Norman to make football practice a week ahead of the spring game. He was back on a plane in time for that Sunday’s doubleheader against T.C.U. He singled in the first game to extend a hit streak to seven games and drew a walk in the second.

In other instances, Johnson said, Murray would arrive at a home baseball game from football practice around 5:45 p.m. and take batting practice and shag fly balls before the 6:30 p.m. opening pitch.

“We kind of told him, ‘Hey, it’s not going to be easy, but you’re the one who signed up for this,’” Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma’s football coach, said this week.
“And give the kid credit,” Riley added, “he did, and did it at a high level.”

I'll match your article with another article:

Kyler Murray’s Baseball Stats Explain MLB Over NFL Draft | Heavy.com

Doesn't mean you can't draft the kid but it indicates what I said was HIS choice. So do you want to risk a No 1 on him to see if he is right or not. You are dead wrong about guys from college not making it into MLB these days. Lots do. That get a little better read on them after 3 or 4 years of college ball. Without doing any research let me say Ryan Zimmerman, Strasburg and Harper. All went to college as well as former Met David Wright.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, the kid wants to play MLB and has the skills to do it. From a financial perspective, its not even close. He will make a ton more money playing baseball and his career will be much longer. Second, splitting time between the 2 sports in college is one thing, but no way does that happen in professional sports today for any extended period of time (if at all). It is neither practical or realistic. No one in their right mind would spend a 1st round pick on a player where football is not their first love nor would you get him 100% dedicated. Which means that with Bruce Allen, Sty, you might have a chance. Take a flyer on him in the later rounds? Maybe.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, you're right, let's not even try to get the best player possible. Just in case some here don't get it, here's some clarity: Two things can be true at the same time!

The problem with baseball is how absolutely rare it is to go from NCAA ball to the show. He will do some time on an 2A or 3A team, riding buses and dealing with all of the BS that others will bring to him, while looking for that call, if it comes. Baseball is a difficult sport and you're right, if he makes it, the long term monetary benefits far outweigh those of the NFL in terms of time playing the sport. Again, I say that we try to get him here.

Sometimes I don't understand how you turn that phrase. I asked questions, did not make statement and you reply "let not even try to get the best player possible." I did not say that, those are your words. I presented reasons it could be a problem ESPECIALLY at the QB position. All that said the kid has had a great year and I am not worried as much about height as I used to be because the NFL game is changing. Lets see what the kid says after the playoffs are over then you can make a determination.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, the kid wants to play MLB and has the skills to do it. From a financial perspective, its not even close. He will make a ton more money playing baseball and his career will be much longer. Second, splitting time between the 2 sports in college is one thing, but no way does that happen in professional sports today for any extended period of time (if at all). It is neither practical or realistic. No one in their right mind would spend a 1st round pick on a player where football is not their first love nor would you get him 100% dedicated. Which means that with Bruce Allen, Sty, you might have a chance. Take a flyer on him in the later rounds? Maybe.

Amen to that. In this era I don't see both an MLB & NFL team allowing this situation to occur. Beyond that we are talking about a QB. This is totally different than Bo Jackson or Deion. A RB or DB could perhaps split time, but a QB most 100% dedicate himself to the sport both in and off season.

I am w/ you & others - sure if you want to use a late rd throw away pick then perhaps, but no way you use a higher pick on this kid.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - I know that some folks may reference Russell Wilson in this case, but he spent minimal time later in his career spending a little time w/ baseball. It was not as if he was pursuing a serious, full time career in baseball. Ditto w/ some others who have toyed w/ this idea.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get where Sty is coming from. I checked some scouting sites and where they had Murray rated. Some were old and not worth talking about. The highest I saw was 6th rated out of what is not considered a good QB class. You have to sit down figure out where the kid would be drafted if baseball wasn't in the mix and then figure out where the kids is. Obviously he has a contract already in baseball.

#1 issue is his size, also not good at the deep ball but I think we all know with many players at all positions you just never know until they give it a try.

I agree that the time needed to play QB in the NFL and college is two different things and can't imagine a football team waiting for the kid to in the spring and summer if that was the case. I also do not agree about college players in MLB. There are quite a few and it is a viable route for young players these days. I can see a 5th or 6th pick if you think he is that good.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, the guy is a star baseball player as well and thus far has stated that he wants to pursue that dream. So, we draft him and take that NFL or bust stick out of our asses and give him the Bo Jackson treatment. Some NFL team is going to draft this guy and it may as well be us!

my plan exactly !!! draft him late and see if we can hit a curve

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Murray's a serious baller in football and baseball eh. I wanna see what he does against Alabama. I don't expect Bama to lose, but it'll be interesting to see if he can keep Oklahoma hanging with the Tide and for how long.

Good decision choosing baseball imo as well.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Murray's a serious baller in football and baseball eh. I wanna see what he does against Alabama. I don't expect Bama to lose, but it'll be interesting to see if he can keep Oklahoma hanging with the Tide and for how long.

Good decision choosing baseball imo as well.

Yep & play close attn since there may be some future Skins defenders playing defense for Bama in that game :D. I think the Redskins goal is to have at least 75% of their defense manned by Bama players (j/k - kind of).

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll match your article with another article:

Kyler Murray’s Baseball Stats Explain MLB Over NFL Draft | Heavy.com

Doesn't mean you can't draft the kid but it indicates what I said was HIS choice. So do you want to risk a No 1 on him to see if he is right or not. You are dead wrong about guys from college not making it into MLB these days. Lots do. That get a little better read on them after 3 or 4 years of college ball. Without doing any research let me say Ryan Zimmerman, Strasburg and Harper. All went to college as well as former Met David Wright.

IK know what his choice is, I also know that unlike a few here, I'd spend some time with him just to see what his position is relating to the NFL. Yes, he's stated that his choice is baseball, and I personally don't blame him, however, he also said that he believes that he "can play in the NFL." What does that mean in terms of his willingness to give it a shot? This is what I'd talk to him about, but I get it, some want a bit more assurance about who you'd draft.

In as much as N-ball to the show goes, almost all spend some time in 2A or 3A ball, including Zimmerman who spent time in Harrisburg and Savannah among others, Harper in Scottsdale and Harrisburg among others, Wright at Kingsport and Capitol City among others. Strassburg is that rare exception and that's because he's a pitcher. Murray will play outfield and as such will spend some time on a farm team.

I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that I said that there were no players going from college to the show.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All well and good, however you don't as has been suggested here, move on without completely assessing his intent for now and in future terms. Who knows, what this young man is willing to do or attempt to do? We do our work and make sure that there is zero chance that he plays football or make plans to get him in the draft before anyone else does.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe I did not interpret you correctly and all you meant is you rarely go from college straight to the major leagues. So I will ask you a question. Weren't you the guy that advocated for young QBs to sit on the sideline for a year or two to learn. How is that much different. He already has signed a $9 million contract with the Oakland A's so it isn't like he is going to be making a $1.98? Is there a problem learning to play the game at that level for a year or two? If he is drafted by the Redskins should he start right away?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, and that is exactly why I would make sure that we got him. He plays out his baseball dream on a minor league roster and learn the NFL game. Clearest answer to your question...NO he sits too!!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
xxx-cp-colin-kaepernick-nike_133.jpg

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to determine the QB for next year until we see what happens with Gruden.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to determine the QB for next year until we see what happens with Gruden.

Why?? I mean its not like this front office is above telling a coach.. we want it to work with this guy so deal with it.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?? I mean its not like this front office is above telling a coach.. we want it to work with this guy so deal with it.

This is true, but if Gruden comes back I see Alex and Colt coming back with a 5th round QB on the roster. If a new guy is here, I think Colt is gone and we might see a QB in the 1st or 2nd. New coach, new franchise QB.........Dan and Bruce would feel that would generate enough curiosity to get the fans to come back to FedEx.