• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB for Next Season

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I don't want this to devolve in an indictment of the Redskins FO, Allen, Snyder, Gruden, etc. I will be the first to admit that they have screwed up in numerous decisions in this area over time. I am not looking for reasons to blame anyone on how they arrived at the current situation.

Rather I am looking for people's ideas on how they would address the QB area for 2019 on the assumption that Smith will not return next season (or maybe for a big part of 2019) and that McCoy is less than stellar for the rest of this season.

Given that the Skins won't have much $$ to use for the QB position who would you consider for QB for this team? Given the talent level & other concerns they won't likely draft a QB high & even if they do that QB may not be ready for a while.

What would each of you do? Stick w/ McCoy regardless & basically consider 2019 a wash? Go after some backup from another team (e.g. McCarron or similar)? Go after a current 2nd tier starting QB who will be dumped by some team & available for cheap? Just thought it would be fun to consider the options. Again - please requesting that folks consider various options & not use this as another thread to badmouth what we already know. Thanks.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all I don't want this to devolve in an indictment of the Redskins FO, Allen, Snyder, Gruden, etc. I will be the first to admit that they have screwed up in numerous decisions in this area over time. I am not looking for reasons to blame anyone on how they arrived at the current situation.

Rather I am looking for people's ideas on how they would address the QB area for 2019 on the assumption that Smith will not return next season (or maybe for a big part of 2019) and that McCoy is less than stellar for the rest of this season.

Given that the Skins won't have much $$ to use for the QB position who would you consider for QB for this team? Given the talent level & other concerns they won't likely draft a QB high & even if they do that QB may not be ready for a while.

What would each of you do? Stick w/ McCoy regardless & basically consider 2019 a wash? Go after some backup from another team (e.g. McCarron or similar)? Go after a current 2nd tier starting QB who will be dumped by some team & available for cheap? Just thought it would be fun to consider the options. Again - please requesting that folks consider various options & not use this as another thread to badmouth what we already know. Thanks.

well lets look at some options

bridgewater is a free agent

nick foles is a free agent

tyrod taylor is a free agent

ryan is a free agent ( wont get )

pick up bortles

with colt also being a FA i would say go for Foles and draft a qb

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have to look at cap space. We are sitting at 17 mil in space for 2019. We may need to resign PReston Smith, Nseke, Cooper, and HaHa too and I think we let Crowder leave.

So to answer the question, it is best to roll with McCoy and perhaps draft a rookie. God forbid be stretch for a rookie though. Next year could be ugly but it could set us up for a great draft in 2020.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well lets look at some options

bridgewater is a free agent

nick foles is a free agent

tyrod taylor is a free agent

ryan is a free agent ( wont get )

pick up bortles

with colt also being a FA i would say go for Foles and draft a qb

Colt isn’t a FA. He is signed through next season I believe.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what Fitz would cost but that could be an option.

Foles and Will Grier in the 2nd round or maybe coach's boy Rypien. I haven't really watched him any and this crop of QBs is not real impressive.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have to look at cap space. We are sitting at 17 mil in space for 2019. We may need to resign PReston Smith, Nseke, Cooper, and HaHa too and I think we let Crowder leave.

So to answer the question, it is best to roll with McCoy and perhaps draft a rookie. God forbid be stretch for a rookie though. Next year could be ugly but it could set us up for a great draft in 2020.

Yep this might be the best plan. You might get lucky say by drafting a QB a little lower in the draft or - worst case - they have a subpar season & draft a decent QB the following offseason. Doesn't sound all that fun but just trying to face reality.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know what Fitz would cost but that could be an option.

Foles and Will Grier in the 2nd round or maybe coach's boy Rypien. I haven't really watched him any and this crop of QBs is not real impressive.
i think you need to decide what will grier and rypien are ? as well as kyler murray , haskins and herbert (SP)

this is what we dont need a developmental career BU . we need a guy who can be a starter and possibly the guy to build around . now we need to find out if any are that

the fan base , particularly the ABC crowd type want a superstar HOF qb but dont have the patience to let one develop

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith won't be coming back in my opinion, and frankly, I hope he doesn't. He was mediocre before his injury,,, pretty sure he won't get any better because of his injury,, so pass on him. That leaves Colt as our number one going into next year. That is not an option without a rookie hopeful on the sidelines. Not certain who would be out there but signing a Fitz or whoever is merely putting a bandaid on a severed head. Our bleeding will just continue. We need to find our new young studly QB... we need to get younger. We got old quick. A slice of guice will be nice but we need to focus on our brittle OL too. It's every year they get hurt. Drafting a QB with the second or third pick would be the best option in my opinion.... and if he seems he has potential,,, for the love of GOD BA don't screw it up again.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rypien? As in Brett Rypien, former Redskins QB Mark Rypien's nephew? If so, I think the kid needs more size. He's listed at 202 pounds which may mean he only weighs 190 or go. I heard the kid had skills though.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith won't be coming back in my opinion, and frankly, I hope he doesn't. He was mediocre before his injury,,, pretty sure he won't get any better because of his injury,, so pass on him. That leaves Colt as our number one going into next year. That is not an option without a rookie hopeful on the sidelines. Not certain who would be out there but signing a Fitz or whoever is merely putting a bandaid on a severed head. Our bleeding will just continue. We need to find our new young studly QB... we need to get younger. We got old quick. A slice of guice will be nice but we need to focus on our brittle OL too. It's every year they get hurt. Drafting a QB with the second or third pick would be the best option in my opinion.... and if he seems he has potential,,, for the love of GOD BA don't screw it up again.

Fuck that. Allen's ass is the first butt that needs to be kicked on down the road

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he has an option to get out

Yes, I don' know the particulars but with getting to start 7 games he may reach whatever those numbers are. If is INTs he is well on his way. LOL

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt is signed though next year. however, he has an out in his contract if he performs well that allows him to cash in somewhere else. So if somehow he lights it on fire and he takes us to the playoffs, he can get out of his contract and file for free agency.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck that. Allen's ass is the first butt that needs to be kicked on down the road

Yep - barring a miracle turnaround for the team you would have to believe that there is a very good chance that Allen is kicked to the curb this offseason.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt is signed though next year. however, he has an out in his contract if he performs well that allows him to cash in somewhere else. So if somehow he lights it on fire and he takes us to the playoffs, he can get out of his contract and file for free agency.

Would love to have that problem since it would mean some success moving fwd but good chance things stay bad for Colt. If he were to play lights out I still doubt any team throws much money his way. I also think that if this were to occur that there is a good chance that he follows it up with a subpar season. That Favre gunslinger mentality doesn't usually work long term if you don't have Favre like talent.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically no FA qbs are worth a kick next year. It’s a reallllllly bad fa class. So you swing for the fences with a trade. Bortles?

Or ride mccoy and draft someone this year or next . But your gonna have to trade up.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sign Colin Kaepernick.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Skins will create more cap space in the off season. Imo, Preston Smith will not be back, neither will Crowder. While we have Crowder's replacement, we will have to draft Smith's. Hopefully Norman is released and Clinton-Dix not resigned. We are getting no where near the bang for our buck with the current secondary all though when healthy, I like the Dunbar signing this off season.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Skins will create more cap space in the off season. Imo, Preston Smith will not be back, neither will Crowder. While we have Crowder's replacement, we will have to draft Smith's. Hopefully Norman is released and Clinton-Dix not resigned. We are getting no where near the bang for our buck with the current secondary all though when healthy, I like the Dunbar signing this off season.
Trading for Clinton Dix was a mistake.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically no FA qbs are worth a kick next year. It’s a reallllllly bad fa class. So you swing for the fences with a trade. Bortles?

Trading for Bortles isn't swinging for the fences. Its leaving the bat on your shoulder as you take a called third strike with 2 outs and the bases loaded.

If they do that, and I doubt they will as Bortles doesn't have the name recognition to give Snyder a woody. Though neither did Alex Smith so who knows.....fuck. I hate my fuckin team.

Or ride mccoy and draft someone this year or next . But your gonna have to trade up.

Trading up it could be said is the single biggest reason why the Redskins are in the position they are today. Not only are we not very good at it. We're always the one who's thirsty as fuck and don't give a damn what we give away as long as we get what we want. Or what we think we want is probably a better description. Causer we've never gotten what those idiots who made the trades thought we would get.