• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: preseason #3

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree on Dalton. As for McCarron handling the big stage...he could in college. There were lots of guys who could in college and couldn't in the NFL. We won't know the answer to that until he gets time at QB in real games. I'm not saying that he can't do well, but before I say he's better than QB XYZ, I want to see him play in real games that matter. It's not an unreasonable request.

How is that going to happen? Andy Dalton is Gumby, he never gets hurt. I don't want Andy Dalton to be our QB, but I also do not want to see him get hurt. He is a good guy and I like him. However, if he doesn't get hurt, McCarron continues to ride the pine, gets to FA year, signs with someone else to be their starter, Dalton winds up finally getting hurt, we have Josh Johnson back as our backup in two years. I can see the entire thing unfold already.

PS..They may also mean two more "one and done's" during that stretch as well.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that going to happen? Andy Dalton is Gumby, he never gets hurt. I don't want Andy Dalton to be our QB, but I also do not want to see him get hurt. He is a good guy and I like him. However, if he doesn't get hurt, McCarron continues to ride the pine, gets to FA year, signs with someone else to be their starter, Dalton winds up finally getting hurt, we have Josh Johnson back as our backup in two years. I can see the entire thing unfold already.

PS..They may also mean two more "one and done's" during that stretch as well.

I think if Dalton sprains an ankle McCarron will get to play for half a game to maybe 1 and a half. he'll probably do fine and the Bengals will have to think about extending him. since he's still considered 5th round fodder we should be able to retain him.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a nice minor injury during the season that shelves Dalton for about 4 games only, just in case McCarron is not the answer. This way we still give Dalton time to get us back into the playoffs so we can lose our one playoff game. It also gives us a 4 game stretch where McCarron has to prepare as the starting QB, work with his teammates, gets first team effort and puts him in live action.

The Games I would like to see McCarron in for:

Nov. 1st versus at Pittsburgh
Nov. 5th versus Browns (NFL Network)
Nov. 16th versus Texans (ESPN)
Nov. 22nd versus at Arizona (4:15 game)

This will give us a great snapshot into the future of McCarron. He gets to play at Pittsburgh, the team we can't ever beat it seems like. Then we have two prime time games back to back against a division rival that spanked us last year, and then another prime time game against a team that would appear to be a game we should win. Then we travel out west, have a late start time against a very good Cardinal team.

If Dalton was to be sidelined for 4 weeks, this would be the period I would want it to be, as it is the best snapshot of McCarrons future with this team that we could hope for.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict he will fair better than Johnny Manziel did last season.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........that's a sad sad future.

You have no idea what the future holds for McCarron. There are guys all the time who are lower round picks that become studs. I am not saying McCarron will be one of those, but you can definitively know he won't be.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have no idea what the future holds for McCarron. There are guys all the time who are lower round picks that become studs. I am not saying McCarron will be one of those, but you can definitively know he won't be.
What are the odds? Honestly? Does it happen? Sure. Is it even remotely likely? Not close.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say it was likely, but it is not a sure fired flop either like you are saying. Is the odds great, no. However, I think they are much better than you are giving him credit for.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say it was likely, but it is not a sure fired flop either like you are saying. Is the odds great, no. However, I think they are much better than you are giving him credit for.
The odds of a 5th round QB becoming better than a guy who while not great has led us to 4 straight playoff appearances is not much better than 0. It's damn near 0. Sure there is always a chance, but acting like it's anything more than a pipe dream is.....just sad.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not banking on anything except being disappointed by the end of the NFL season. If you are a Bengals fan and expect anything more than this, you are in denial.

With that said, I think we have so much talent that our QB just has to make smart decisions, not turn the ball over and be a real general and leader on that field. Sometimes a disapproving father figure who will scold someone for not doing what they should be doing, to a ra ra cheerleader when guys go above and beyond and take it upon themselves to make something special happen. I think McCarron is all that. That doesn't mean he would make a great NFL QB like a Manning or Brady or Rdogers where he can turn any WR core into an all-star cast. However, given an all-star cast he can make all the right choices and put a team in contention. Of course that is based on gut instincts of myself and from what I have seen the last 4 years from McCarron. I could very well be very wrong.

Who knows, maybe Dalton has his best year as a pro and finally gets a couple playoff wins. Which McCarron would be destined to be a FA at the end of his rookie contract so he can go to a team with an opening for starting QB and willing to endure a QB competition.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tubbs is a broken record. We're going with Dalton obviously, and its the right decision. But he hates McCarron for no apparent reason and wants him off the team. It really doesn't make much since. they would have kept Johnson if McCarron was that bad. So, bottom line is, you just can't pay much attention to Tubbs when he's in rant mode.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Tubbs "Hates" AJ (Maybe he does, I don't really want to speak for him), but at least for me, it's not so much that I don't like AJ, but the fact that everyone has already anointed him a better NFL QB before he's taken a meaningful snap. This would be a different story if the kid was a sure fire 1st round pick, big time pedigree, accolades, awards, etc...etc...In other words, another Manning or Luck coming out of the draft.

AJ wasn't. He wasn't a huge prospect before the injury and he fell a bit afterwards in part because of the injury and in part because his measurables didn't add up to being a higher pick. If he was that good, the injury would not have stopped teams from taking him in a decent round to groom as their next QB. Teams didn't.

Now, does that mean he can't be better? No, he might be. With some time and some work, yeah, he could be better than Dalton. However, just flat out stating that he's better right now with 0 NFL snaps is absurd.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Tubbs "Hates" AJ (Maybe he does, I don't really want to speak for him), but at least for me, it's not so much that I don't like AJ, but the fact that everyone has already anointed him a better NFL QB before he's taken a meaningful snap. This would be a different story if the kid was a sure fire 1st round pick, big time pedigree, accolades, awards, etc...etc...In other words, another Manning or Luck coming out of the draft.

AJ wasn't. He wasn't a huge prospect before the injury and he fell a bit afterwards in part because of the injury and in part because his measurables didn't add up to being a higher pick. If he was that good, the injury would not have stopped teams from taking him in a decent round to groom as their next QB. Teams didn't.

Now, does that mean he can't be better? No, he might be. With some time and some work, yeah, he could be better than Dalton. However, just flat out stating that he's better right now with 0 NFL snaps is absurd.

I don't think I have said he is better than Dalton at all right now. I did see several throws in that one preseason game (4 to be exact) that I am not sure I saw Dalton through in his first 4 years as a QB here. 4 throws do not make a career though. I think McCarron has more intangibles than Dalton does, and I think a few of his tangibles are better than Dalton. Dalton does have the experience though and he knows the offense very well.

I don't think it is unimaginable that McCarron "could be" better than Dalton at some point here soon. Is he right now? I would say "no" pretty confidently.

I just don't like to see other posters put an iron clad guarantee on a young player that has never been given a shot, especially one with two national championships, a long history of being a leader and a guy who will not make the huge mistakes in big games as a sure fired loser. McCarron's future has not been written, and I think it is best to see how it plays out if ever given the chance before labeling him any kind of success or failure.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I have said he is better than Dalton at all right now. I did see several throws in that one preseason game (4 to be exact) that I am not sure I saw Dalton through in his first 4 years as a QB here. 4 throws do not make a career though. I think McCarron has more intangibles than Dalton does, and I think a few of his tangibles are better than Dalton. Dalton does have the experience though and he knows the offense very well.

I don't think it is unimaginable that McCarron "could be" better than Dalton at some point here soon. Is he right now? I would say "no" pretty confidently.

I just don't like to see other posters put an iron clad guarantee on a young player that has never been given a shot, especially one with two national championships, a long history of being a leader and a guy who will not make the huge mistakes in big games as a sure fired loser. McCarron's future has not been written, and I think it is best to see how it plays out if ever given the chance before labeling him any kind of success or failure.
I don't disagree that we should wait to see before making any proclamations about how good AJ is/can be or how bad he is/will be.

There are lots of guys who have won national championships and looked great in college and not translate into NFL QB's. You never know until they take meaningful snaps how they will really do.

With all that being said, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that based on his draft selection, we shouldn't get overly excited about him being much better than Dalton, because history has shown that most of the QB's who end up doing well are drafted earlier. Yes, there are always exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, it's held true to form.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just as much evidence to show that highly drafted QB's pan out as well as flop. Is there a better percent of QB's coming out of the first rounds than others? Sure. However, just because you sign a top rated QB does not give you a leg up. Look how many first round QB's Cleveland has taken, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc.

May be a higher percent, but there is just as many failures in the modern era as successes.

Just as there are many more flops in later rounds than successes, but none the less talent still coming out of there.

What round did Russell get taken in?

What about Marc Bulger, Mark Brunell, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselback, Mark Rypien, Joe Theismann, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Frank Tarkenton, Joe Montana, Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny Unitas, Warren Moon?

Some of those guys are out of this world and HOF'ers. Not one of them was drafted before the 3rd round, and Unitas was drafted in the 9th round, Staubach 10th round, Bart Starr 17th round, and Warren Moon went undrafted.

I know there are a lot more who have failed, but their is plenty of precedence for guys being drafted lower that was able to overcome and succeed where others doubted them besides Tom Brady. Tom Brady is just the most recent, most publicized account for that occurring.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All this would go away if the the retarded Dalton could stop pooping his pants in the playoffs.

true story. I hope he snaps the curse.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ken Dorsey, Tim Tebow, Jason White, Danny Weurfel, among many others say that leadership and national championships and college wins and college stats don't mean much.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just as much evidence to show that highly drafted QB's pan out as well as flop. Is there a better percent of QB's coming out of the first rounds than others? Sure. However, just because you sign a top rated QB does not give you a leg up. Look how many first round QB's Cleveland has taken, Buffalo, Cincinnati, etc.

May be a higher percent, but there is just as many failures in the modern era as successes.

Just as there are many more flops in later rounds than successes, but none the less talent still coming out of there.

What round did Russell get taken in?

What about Marc Bulger, Mark Brunell, Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselback, Mark Rypien, Joe Theismann, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Frank Tarkenton, Joe Montana, Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny Unitas, Warren Moon?

Some of those guys are out of this world and HOF'ers. Not one of them was drafted before the 3rd round, and Unitas was drafted in the 9th round, Staubach 10th round, Bart Starr 17th round, and Warren Moon went undrafted.

I know there are a lot more who have failed, but their is plenty of precedence for guys being drafted lower that was able to overcome and succeed where others doubted them besides Tom Brady. Tom Brady is just the most recent, most publicized account for that occurring.

Brad Johnson sucked, Matt Hasselback wasn't really any better than Dalton, Warren Moon was black before being a black QB was really a thing. You have picked 14 guys out of how many years? The success rate for a QB picked later in the draft is vastly vastly lower than the early rounds. Could it happen? Sure. Is there any reason to expect it to happen? Nope.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Johnson sucked, Matt Hasselback wasn't really any better than Dalton, Warren Moon was black before being a black QB was really a thing. You have picked 14 guys out of how many years? The success rate for a QB picked later in the draft is vastly vastly lower than the early rounds. Could it happen? Sure. Is there any reason to expect it to happen? Nope.

Expect it? Who said expect it? I said don't completely deny it can happen.