• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woman: "See this mole on my neck? It's changing colors."

Clark Griswold: "Yeah you keep touching it and it's getting redder."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niece: Christmas is almost here and I'm scared.

Clark Griswold: Nervous or excited?

Niece: Shitting bricks.

Clark Griswold: You shouldn't use that word.

Niece: Sorry, shitting rocks.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie was ok.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have to be sexually inappropriate or to a private area to be offensive, unless it's sexual battery or sexual assault. It just has to be reasonably objectionable - not legal terms, here - like punching someone in the shoulder is not different than punching her in the boobs. But tapping someone on the shoulder to ask him where the train is, is different than punching him on the shoulder because he's blocking your view of the train map.

I just talked about the private area so that the example I was giving would be clearly offensive. You can touch anyone anywhere and it could be deemed offensive.

Interesting thing, but perhaps it complicates things, but in criminal law - assault is just causing apprehension of harm (no touching involved) and battery is the touching. Thus, if you hit someone in the back who didn't see you coming, you would be guilty of battery, not assault. But if he sees you chasing him and you attempt to hit him, and he's not hit, then you could be charged with assault despite not hitting him. Common law assault is different than an assault defined by code, so if your state defines it without reference to the requirement of apprehension (if it defines assault like battery) then ignore what I just said. I'd advise you, if I were your lawyer, not to hit or make anyone think you are going to hurt them. :)

Ok, I rewatched the scene of George chasing Marry.

He chased her, grabbed her, shook her shoulder. She said "let me go" and screamed. She then pulled away.

I think that's assault because she was afraid of him.

I think that's battery because she found George grabbing and shaking her offensive.

And I think a person would find it reasonably objectionable to be grabbed and shook.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I rewatched the scene of George chasing Marry.

He chased her, grabbed her, shook her shoulder. She said "let me go" and screamed. She then pulled away.

I think that's assault because she was afraid of him.

I think that's battery because she found George grabbing and shaking her offensive.

And I think a person would find it reasonably objectionable to be grabbed and shook.

Yep, the last sentence is key. Because let's say I hate being tapped on the shoulder and maybe you tapped me on the shoulder because you were mad that I blocked your view in the concert when you had staked out that place, but I was too timid to yell or punch. Yes, you intentionally tapped (touched) my shoulder and maybe you were even mad, but that tapping would be offensive to me, but not to a reasonable person. I would not win. Maybe if I had something special, like you knew my religion or something was against tapping - but that runs into intent. Specifically intending on being offensive may be harder to prove than simply intending on touching, but that may overcome the reasonableness of someone being offended by the touch.

Strength of the tap could be a factor in the minds of the jury, but it doesn't have to be. For example, if I lightly grabbed a woman, they wouldn't say, but it was just a rub. I really don't mean to keep bringing up perverse situations, but the definition sounds like it (offensive touching) - though more sexual has its own - sexual battery. Or in New York, et al, sexual assault (because they treat battery as assault and assault as menacing).

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only done jury duty once, it was two years ago. But while there, and conversing with the other jurors, someone brought up how something like this reminded them of all the sick things people do to each other.

The examples you brought up in this thread, especially when they're intentional, reminded me of that.

It seems like studying the law is studying all of the sick things people can do to each other.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE]KJ-6TCPdbl0[/YOUTUBE]

On the 2nd clip:

* I liked how the guy at the beginning was shaking his legs.

* The acting was good in this clip.

* This was better than ok.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Examples like the Shrek implication works because for kids, merely being naked is funny. They don't see the sexual part of it - especially between two beasts/animals/whatever.

I think the subliminal messages are interesting, I just don't like those who preach about it. Disney is made up of a vast diversity of people, some do prank under their bosses eyes. Some bosses don't see everything despite looking at it a lot in editing. They can't be looking for continuity, plot-line, characters consistency, audience approval, and everything else like could this be seen dirty? It's like those who say the government should know when someone somewhere is going to something to someone using something that may be an automobile, bomb, plane, or other weapon. But then, say no peaking! This is not political, as I'd defend either party if I felt they missed something that is not practically preventable. I care about the response and the attempt to protect.

Got sidetracked, meant to just say that Disney can still be a good company despite making money and despite these messages, true or not.

Have you seen the Paul is Dead theories? The claim is that Paul McCartney, a member of the Beatles, died in a car crash near the height of their run, was replaced by a look-alike, and they put in a bunch of clues in their albums and songs.

Here's an introduction, you can proceed from there if it interests you.

Examples and explanations:

I liked the second clip more than the first.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the 2nd clip:

* I liked how the guy at the beginning was shaking his legs.

* The acting was good in this clip.

* This was better than ok.

If I remember correctly, a lot of this was Bill Murray improvising, not on the script. Murray's the guy with the shaking legs, in case that wasn't obvious. The fact that you didn't say Bill Murray tells me that you don't know him well? If not, you should know Ghostbusters, right? Also, you should see Groundhogs Day, but his best, IMO, is "What about Bob?"

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly, a lot of this was Bill Murray improvising, not on the script. Murray's the guy with the shaking legs, in case that wasn't obvious. The fact that you didn't say Bill Murray tells me that you don't know him well? If not, you should know Ghostbusters, right? Also, you should see Groundhogs Day, but his best, IMO, is "What about Bob?"

I've seen Ghostbusters II and Groundhogs Day. I might have seen Ghostbusters 1 also, but I think I've seen the 2nd more times.

I'm just bad with faces.

He looked a little like Tom Hanks (but the acting style didn't seem like Hanks), so I wasn't sure.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A few months ago, I found "The Big Heat" on YouTube, in its entirety.

When I was ready to watch it, a few weeks later, it was removed. But, then I found the movie split into 10 parts, so I was able to watch it.

I hope the same doesn't happen to this movie.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few months ago, I found "The Big Heat" on YouTube, in its entirety.

When I was ready to watch it, a few weeks later, it was removed. But, then I found the movie split into 10 parts, so I was able to watch it.

I hope the same doesn't happen to this movie.

Me too. In fact, I had first sent you a link to 1/10 of What about Bob and just by luck, found the entire movie when I was checking if it would link to 2/10. I'm sure it'll be removed one day, but this was uploaded in September and is still there with 24K likes.

I don't want to take your time, so do so in your own time if you have any, but you should see What about Bob. I think it's a sit down movie, as opposed to watch 10 here, watch ten there, so you may need to wait to watch it. Have you seen Lost in Translation?

I mentioned it earlier about how Alex Smith was top three in the league in passer rating and how I wanted him to stay there because it wasn't something I expected him to necessarily repeat. That's how I felt about Lost in Translation - there was no way that Bill Murray would ever get close again to winning Best Actor in the Oscars. He lost to Sean Penn, who played in Milk? Playing a mentally challenged guy is popular in winning. It's like "wow, you must know how to act if you look slow." I liked Forrest Gump, but never saw him as mentally challenged, I just saw him as a different guy.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. In fact, I had first sent you a link to 1/10 of What about Bob and just by luck, found the entire movie when I was checking if it would link to 2/10. I'm sure it'll be removed one day, but this was uploaded in September and is still there with 24K likes.

I don't want to take your time, so do so in your own time if you have any, but you should see What about Bob. I think it's a sit down movie, as opposed to watch 10 here, watch ten there, so you may need to wait to watch it. Have you seen Lost in Translation?

I mentioned it earlier about how Alex Smith was top three in the league in passer rating and how I wanted him to stay there because it wasn't something I expected him to necessarily repeat. That's how I felt about Lost in Translation - there was no way that Bill Murray would ever get close again to winning Best Actor in the Oscars. He lost to Sean Penn, who played in Milk? Playing a mentally challenged guy is popular in winning. It's like "wow, you must know how to act if you look slow." I liked Forrest Gump, but never saw him as mentally challenged, I just saw him as a different guy.

I'll watch both "What About Bob" and "Lost In Translation" sometime.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niece: Christmas is almost here and I'm scared.

Clark Griswold: Nervous or excited?

Niece: Shitting bricks.

Clark Griswold: You shouldn't use that word.

Niece: Sorry, shitting rocks.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just got a Tivo today. I wanted to use the Tivo YouTube app to watch this, but it's not working.

(I can't call and troubleshoot until tomorrow morning).

So I'll just watch it on my TV from PC-->HDMI-->TV.

Starting now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does the bus driver know Bob's name? Unless he's been there for a long time.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it when he's eating corn.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does the bus driver know Bob's name? Unless he's been there for a long time.

Yes, she knows him. He's obsessive compulsive, so she'd remember him due to his tendencies. I wouldn't guess he goes on big trips often, so it is curious that they made the character acknowledge him as if he did. But I take movies at face value sometimes.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to die, I'm going to die. What else is there to be afraid of?