• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Corrupted iPod.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I don't think I'm going to worry about the DRM songs from iTunes. I only have 8 DRM songs, and I'll probably eventually get the full album for at least 2 of them.

There's also DRM removal tools.

Top 5 DRM Removal Programs - Best DRM Removal Software

So I don't need to get another apple product to play the DRM songs.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's past it's warranty, right? Mine was past it's warranty but they replaced mine for free. Might want to take it in to a Genius Bar and ask. I figure, you've already lost your robot bits (never rely on a machine, use yourself, Mr. Robot.) they might even be able to save some stuff, but for a cost. If they can't replace it for free, it 249 for a new one, same old model. They'll probably try to talk you into buying a newer model, but whatever. Or is one too far away? You have to make an appointment, too.

I had a cracked screen and a problem charging. Fortunately they weren't related. They, of course, wouldn't replace it for the screen my wife cracked, but the power problem was enough.

Reading more about the Genius Bar, I don't think they'll be able to do much. It sounds like they only spend about 15 minutes. I'm not sure how much of diagnosing they'll be able to do in that time. And even if they diagnose, I don't think they would try and fix anything right then, I would probably have to leave it for a few days.

Also, I don't think they would support my iPod. When I've called Apple Care in the past few years, they've made it sound like the Apple Stores aren't allowed to support me, because the model is too old. They said a place like Fry's Electronics would be the authorized support for my model, and even that I think was limited to how involved they could get.

Still, I made an appointment for the Genius Bar for next Saturday. But chances are, I'll find an online repair shop and their service might be more committed (especially for older ones).

How much time did they spend with you, when you went to the Genius Bar?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just throwing an idea out there, don't know if this can be done, but can you buy a cheaper same version ipod that works and just switch the backs?

Looking at this option again, even if I got a cheaper one, I think it would be a little more difficult to switch backs. There's not only the battery on the back, but one other IC too. I would have to transfer both to the new backs. (Or use the new battery, but the old other IC).

If I couldn't do something seemingly simpler such as replace the hard drive, I think replacing the cover is at another level.

(Or maybe I correctly swapped them, but also accidentally shorted the board.)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people hate the Fuze+'s touch pad, and wish they still had the scroll wheel from the regular Fuze.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading more about the Genius Bar, I don't think they'll be able to do much. It sounds like they only spend about 15 minutes. I'm not sure how much of diagnosing they'll be able to do in that time. And even if they diagnose, I don't think they would try and fix anything right then, I would probably have to leave it for a few days.

Also, I don't think they would support my iPod. When I've called Apple Care in the past few years, they've made it sound like the Apple Stores aren't allowed to support me, because the model is too old. They said a place like Fry's Electronics would be the authorized support for my model, and even that I think was limited to how involved they could get.

Still, I made an appointment for the Genius Bar for next Saturday. But chances are, I'll find an online repair shop and their service might be more committed (especially for older ones).

How much time did they spend with you, when you went to the Genius Bar?

It is funny that you mention that. I think part of the reason why they gave me a new iPad even though mine was out of warranty was because of the time. I feel they rushed it. I don't know if I got someone inexperienced who wasn't supposed to give me a new one for free. Maybe when he realized he wasn't supposed to do that but promised me and he rushed it. He curiously did ask me if I had bought an iPad in the last year. I coincidentally had bought one. So maybe he used that to give me the new one? He did seem rushed at the end so maybe he realized he made a bad decision? I would have accepted it as too old if he had just said that he made a mistake.

Having said all that, he did explain to me some reason that it was still covered despite being out of warranty. He was saying something about warranty only covering the regular damage for that one year but damage that's beyond that, was covered for longer. I'm not sure if he was bullshitting me because of the aforementioned reasons. Who am I to argue? After all, they are the "Geniuses."

Hold on, now that I think of it. If an alcoholic goes to a bar, it call it an alcoholic bar (not just the regular bar). So maybe I'm the genius?

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny that you mention that. I think part of the reason why they gave me a new iPad even though mine was out of warranty was because of the time. I feel they rushed it. I don't know if I got someone inexperienced who wasn't supposed to give me a new one for free. Maybe when he realized he wasn't supposed to do that but promised me and he rushed it. He curiously did ask me if I had bought an iPad in the last year. I coincidentally had bought one. So maybe he used that to give me the new one? He did seem rushed at the end so maybe he realized he made a bad decision? I would have accepted it as too old if he had just said that he made a mistake.

Having said all that, he did explain to me some reason that it was still covered despite being out of warranty. He was saying something about warranty only covering the regular damage for that one year but damage that's beyond that, was covered for longer. I'm not sure if he was bullshitting me because of the aforementioned reasons. Who am I to argue? After all, they are the "Geniuses."

Hold on, now that I think of it. If an alcoholic goes to a bar, it call it an alcoholic bar (not just the regular bar). So maybe I'm the genius?

It sounds like you tricked him into thinking you were under the 1 year warranty.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ordered a 64GB memory card, that I plan to use for the Fuze+, Sunday night / Monday morning.

But after I paid, eBay said they had to remove the listing. I called them just a few minutes ago, and they said listings are removed because either the seller violated the Terms of Policy, or that they're not allowed to sell that item.

I don't know if the seller will still ship the item. I emailed the seller to ask him. I hope the seller still does. Otherwise, I hope the seller notifies me quickly of a refund, so I can move on and buy another one.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like you tricked him into thinking you were under the 1 year warranty.

I think he told me that he would replace it, realized he was wrong, and wanted to find a way not to get immediately noticed (my other iPad (mother-in-law's) is in the system). Hence, the inexperienced.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people hate the Fuze+'s touch pad, and wish they still had the scroll wheel from the regular Fuze.

I almost went with the Clip+ (the plain mp3 player, not with video) because of all of the complaints about the Fuze+'s (audio and video player) touch bad controls.

But I decided I would try it anyways, and hopefully they wouldn't be too annoying.

I'm nervous though about it. The Clip+ cost 1/2 as much too.

Some people say that either after updating the latest firmware, or using Rockbox, the Fuze+ controls are better. So hopefully that's the case.

I plan to use Rock Box right away, have read many good things about it.

I don't even watch videos on portable players that much, maybe once a year. But I still wanted to get it, and not lose any features from the current iPod Video.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I called the repair company and explained that I tried to put in a new hard drive but it wouldn't turn back on. I asked how much a repair might cost.

He said $129.

I asked if that included the cost for parts, and if he could remove the cost for parts. He said he couldn't, and that included everything.

I then asked "what if I needed a new ribbon, how much would that be?"

He said $20-$40.

BTW, diagnosis on this is free.

So let's say I send it in. Here's the cost breakdown:

* Shipping to send it there: Unknown, let's say $6 (I'd pay for shipping myself). Or I can use their pre-paid Fed Ex shipping for $7.50

* Return shipping: $6.49

So minimum cost is $12.49

And let's hypothetically say they needed to replace one ribbon. Something more intensive like the logic board would cost more. But let's pick this one, at a median of $30.

So the minimum cost with a hypothetical ribbon replacement repair would be $42.49.

Is this worth it?

Keep in mind that this is less than buying a new high end iPod touch. Or even an iPod classic. And I am buying a Sansa Fuze+ ($89), memory card ($14), and a repaired iPod video ($42.49) for for about $146. So I could potentially have two working audio players for less than a new one.

Up to how much should I spend to get the iPod video repaired? Hopefully whatever is wrong with it costs less than replacing the hard drive ($129 according to the repair shop).

If it's the new hard drive that doesn't work, then that would suck too, as I'd have to deal with trying to return it. If it's the hard drive that doesn't work, I'd only have 14 days to return it, and I might miss the deadline from when I get the iPod back from the repair shop, to return the hard drive. Assume that's a sunk cost ($18). 14 days from when I received it would be May 30 btw.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would be worth it because I already have a working iPod. ;)

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a message today that my iPod is corrupted. I see some tips on how to trouble shoot it, so I'll try that this weekend.

Anyways, my main question here is let's say I need to get another one.

The one I currently have is engraved with a message, and a date, it was a gift to me.

If I get another one, should I have it engraved with the same message? It kind of feels nice to look at. :)

On the other hand, a new iPod won't be the same, obviously. I'll have to associate the message with the new iPod too, mentally.

Actually, let's jump back a step. If I have to get another mp3 player, should I even get one by Apple? Or is there another brand/make/model I should look into? I'm not 100% in love with Apple.

I didn't even think that was possible. I've had many iPhones and iPods, jailbroke them and have never had any problems other than an older model act sluggish when jailbroken.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would be worth it because I already have a working iPod. ;)

What should I do? I don't have your working iPod.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't even think that was possible. I've had many iPhones and iPods, jailbroke them and have never had any problems other than an older model act sluggish when jailbroken.

:)

Things got worse, if you read through the rest of the thread, when I tried to replace the hard drive. Something I've done on desktops before, but apparently not so well on iPods.

I'm probably going to send it in to a repair shop, and have them diagnose it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What should I do? I don't have your working iPod.

And up to how much would do you think I should spend to fix the iPod, knowing that I already purchased another portable media player too?

Thanks for the quick response.

Hopefully you'll help me move forward with this quickly.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And up to how much would do you think I should spend to fix the iPod, knowing that I already purchased another portable media player too?

Thanks for the quick response.

Hopefully you'll help me move forward with this quickly.

I would go up to half total of a new iPod, but I'm a millionaire. ;)

I don't know. That's probably my real limit. A billionaire is too difficult to get to.