• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pet Sounds: 3.5/5 stars
Artist: The Beach Boys
Metacritic score: N/A
Listened continuously?: Yes

I thoroughly enjoyed much of this album. I wouldn't personally call "progressive pop" my favorite genre, but most of the songs were genuinely enjoyable, even if, after only one listen, I can't grasp the overarching context and impact each song and thus the album contributed to music. I would have to research it further.

"God Only Knows" is a beautiful love song (hope they play it at @SlinkyRedfoot and @beardown07's wedding- go Obama!) that I heard is Paul McCartney's favorite song of all time. It was probably my favorite song on the album. Sloop John B was great, as was "Wouldn't It Be Nice," and "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times." I didn't care for "Caroline, No" or "That's Not Me." Also, the two instrumental songs would really only be good if you were tripping balls, IMO.

While I would not put this as my number one favorite personal album, I did enjoy it a lot, especially when considering the generational gap and the genre leap. It was certainly a better listen than Sgt. Pepper for me personally.

On to "Revolver" tomorrow during my morning walk. My Fitbit is on it's last leg- fucking band snapped.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pet Sounds: 3.5/5 stars
Artist: The Beach Boys
Listened continuously?: Yes

I thoroughly enjoyed much of this album. I wouldn't personally call "progressive pop" my favorite genre, but most of the songs were genuinely enjoyable, even if, after only one listen, I can't grasp the overarching context and impact each song and thus the album contributed to music. I would have to research it further.

"God Only Knows" is a beautiful love song (hope they play it at @SlinkyRedfoot and @beardown07's wedding- go Obama!) that I heard is Paul McCartney's favorite song of all time. It was probably my favorite song on the album. Sloop John B was great, as was "Wouldn't It Be Nice," and "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times." I didn't care for "Caroline, No" or "That's Not Me." Also, the two instrumental songs would really only be good if you were tripping balls, IMO.

While I would not put this as my number one favorite personal album, I did enjoy it a lot, especially when considering the generational gap and the genre leap. It was certainly a better listen than Sgt. Pepper for me personally.

On to "Revolver" tomorrow during my morning walk. My Fitbit is on it's last leg- fucking band snapped.

BWaaaaahahahahahaha, your "fitbit"? I think you spelled "Sizzler All you can Eat pass" wrong.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omar threads Rule!
Wait, I can't tell if you're being serious or not... I don't really care- it's not like I have an insecurity issue or anything...

(Just remember asshole, I was the only one who cared enough about your wellbeing and lungs to tell you to switch from cigs to dip. If you're not being serious, I hope you get laryngitis tomorrow you prick)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Weeknd is the fucking man. Who else can be a hip-hop mogul with an MJ sounding voice, and do tons of blow while driving 120 in a Ferrari?

Yuck on the coke, but his music is tight. Dude is talented. Hopefully he keeps his shit straight and doesnt let drugs ruin him.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You spelled weed wrong and yer a homophobe.
To paraphrase the great @Chewbaccer:

"People should certainly be allowed to do whatever they want with each other, so long as it is consensual.

It's not going to stop me from making gay jokes though."

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude
You need to crank these out faster.
Delays will kill this thread.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take these polls with a grain of salt. Musical tastes are extremely subjective, and one man's trash is another's gold.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take these polls with a grain of salt. Musical tastes are extremely subjective, and one man's trash is another's gold.
If I had my way, all the Creedence albums (except Mardi Gras) would be in the top ten.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude
You need to crank these out faster.
Delays will kill this thread.
Well, in that case, I shall go out of order. I've been listening to this whole album for about a month now, but Rolling Stone ranked it number 35 on the list.

35. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars: 4.5/5 stars
Artist: David Bowie
Listened continuously?: Nope

I will start this review by saying that, outside of the albums that appear by the artists Eminem and Nas (if Nas does appear on this list- I haven't checked, but I'd be shocked if "Illmatic" and "It Was Written" didn't make the list), David Bowie is my favorite artist to appear on this Rolling Stone list. This is my favorite album from him, and one of my favorites of all time. I hope to review other Bowie albums, like Blackstar, even if they did not appear on the list (and I still think he has three more albums appearing on the list).

I was torn on whether I should give this album 4.5/5 stars or 5/5 stars. It was ridiculously close. Unlike my film reviews, my album reviews are much more subjective- I could see myself tweaking the ratings with more listens, though I rarely change my film reviews (and when I do, it's typically only a half star up or down after I re-watched it).

"It 'Aint Easy," "Star," "Hang On To Yourself," "Suffragette City." Those are the only songs I did NOT find absolutely amazing. And by amazing, I mean "top 50/100 songs of all time" amazing. And I didn't hate those songs. Of the four, I liked "Suffragette City" and "It 'Aint Easy" best. They're all decent/ok songs, they just aren't close to standing up to the rest of the album. This is the only thing, right now, holding this album back from a perfect 5/5 star rating.

Of the songs that WERE fucking amazing, my favorite would probably be "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" (whoever said rock isn't deep can go fuck themselves). Well, "Starman" is a classic. Fuck, "Lady Stardust" was awesome. But that guitar solo on "Moonage Daydream"! And, can't forget about the awesomeness of "Soul Love" ("Love is careless, in its choosing/Sweeping over cross a baby") or of "Ziggy Stardust." And "Five Years" is commonly called the best opening track of any rock album, ever.

FUCK!

Seriously, this album is great. If you haven't heard it, please do yourself a favor and give it a listen. If you heard it when it came out, or a long time ago, listen again. If you heard it fucking yesterday, listen today. And check out the Ziggy Stardust story: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - Wikipedia

Lastly, thanks to @Sir Robin Of Camelot, I now know that it's meant "TO BE PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME":
51RLSxafCML.jpg