• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I have Spotify Premium, I can listen to whole albums at a time. With that said, I will now try to listen to every album on the Top 500, and rate and review it. Here's the list.

500 Greatest Albums of All Time

I will also comment that I do not know a whole ton about music, and what makes it good. Music is largely subjective, and I'm just giving my opinion.

And thus, it begins.

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Clubs Band: 2/5 stars
Artist: The Beatles
Metacritic score: 100
Listened continuously?: Yes

Comments:
I am admittedly not a huge fan of The Beatles at all. This album was no exception. I'm not knocking those who love the band, but I think it spoke to an entire generation that I was not a part of. I did really enjoy "A Day in the Life" and "With a Little Help From my Friends." They were songs I'd go back to and listen to on their own. I even somewhat enjoyed "She's Leaving Home," though not as much as the other two.

Songs I didn't enjoy include "Getting Better," "Fixing a Hole," "Good Morning, Good Morning," and especially "Within You Without You."

I don't know that you would really count the album as psychedelic rock, but if you would, it sucked. Again, not knocking Beatles fan. I'm just not a fan of them or this album.

Next up? "Pet Sounds" by The Beach Boys

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old man is angry I don't like his generation's music, grrrrrr!!!!

Of course, he thinks hip-hop sucks ass probably.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're going to listen to all 500 albums once and gain an opinion of it from a single listen and share your initial opinion of it? :L

Assume each album lasts 1 hour and your written critique takes 30 minutes to publish, that's 750 hours of your life thoroughly wasted on something not even you give the slightest crap about. :L

How about this... If you're committed to this, take your Spotify account to an assisted living home, listen to one album each day with a group of elderly/handicapped shut-ins and discuss the album with them before reporting your results on the Hoop. That way you'd be providing at least some value to the world.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 41. Hardly my generation. I'm just not borderline autistic.
Were I to be autistic, which I'm not, that would be extremely insensitive. I'm all fine with people calling others retarded in a joking manner, because no one is likely to be actually mentally challenged on here. But I do know at least one person on here with autism.

I get it, The Beatles are considered the greatest band of all time, and Sgt. Pepper is considered the greatest album of all time. I happen not to like it. I already qualified my opinion with saying that I know hardly anything about music (i.e., how to play instruments, any voice ranges, etc.). I just know whether or not it is pleasurable to the ear for me. And Sgt. Pepper, by and large, is not.

Go smoke another cigarette. You seem extra cranky today.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're going to listen to all 500 albums once and gain an opinion of it from a single listen and share your initial opinion of it? :L

Assume each album lasts 1 hour and your written critique takes 30 minutes to publish, that's 750 hours of your life thoroughly wasted on something not even you give the slightest crap about. :L

How about this... If you're committed to this, take your Spotify account to an assisted living home, listen to one album each day with a group of elderly/handicapped shut-ins and discuss the album with them before reporting your results on the Hoop. That way you'd be providing at least some value to the world.
I meant to say the top 20 or so, in addition to albums not on the list. I hope to listen to a majority of the list by the time I die.

I do care about music, and want to immerse myself in a diverse range of it. Not sure where your comment about me not caring comes from.

And yes, one, or maybe two or three listens suffices for me gaining an opinion on it. It could change with more listens, but I generally either like or dislike a song after one listen. It's not a perfect system, but listening to each song 10 times would take way too long, and may drive me insane.

If you don't like it, fine. I thought it would be a cool thread to discuss acclaimed albums, and songs from those albums. Maybe you and @beardown07 should start an anti-Omar rally if you're so upset:noidea:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAMN.: 3.5/5 stars
Artist: Kendrick Lamar
Metacritic Score: 95
Listened Continuously?: Yes

This was the fourth studio album by hip-hop artist Kendrick Lamar. Like all his other albums, it was critically acclaimed, however, this one has been singled out as one of, if not the, greatest hip-hop albums of all time. It was pretty damn good (groans), but I would not call it the greatest hip-hop album ever. I particularly liked DNA, Humble, Love, and; probably my favorite, Duckworth. His story-telling ability that he has had throughout his whole career (see "Ronald Reagan Era") is certainly at its peak on that last song.

I found some of the features a little lacking, particularly Rihanna and U2. Zacari, who appeared on Love, was excellent however, and even outshone Lamar. I also didn't really like the skits, but then, I'm never a big fan of skits.

I'm not the biggest Kendrick Lamar fan (I mean, I think he's great, just not Top 5 Dead or Alive for me), but this album was good. It didn't live up to the height for me, but when the hype is "greatest album from that genre," it's kind of unfair.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know shit about cars. I think I'll start a thread about the top 100 cars, and give my valued opinion on them.

If anyone thinks that's a dumb idea, they are just bitter old men.

So here goes...a '64 Impala, with cherry rims, bumpin system and a hydraulic lift kit, is the greatest car ever.

Hope no thinks my logic is fuck retarded. God have mercy on whoever facepalms me

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know shit about cars. I think I'll start a thread about the top 100 cars, and give my valued opinion on them.

If anything thinks that's a dumb idea, they are just bitter old men.

So here goes...a '64 Impala, with cherry rims, bumpin system and a hydraulic lift kit, is the greatest car ever.

Hope no thinks my logic is fuck retarded. God have mercy on whoever facepalms me
Sure, if you started a thread giving your favorite cars, and other people commented on which ones they agree with and don't, that'd be great. It'd be a conversation starter.

:L isn't a great conversation starter. It's just you being a dick. But that's to be expected I suppose.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh great, SlinkyRedFoot. He'll have so many positive and/or insightful comments for this thread!

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should become a food critic.

I never eat out, have a severe case of IBS, and have never left my home town of Podunkville, but fuck it, amirite?:heh:

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I have Spotify Premium, I can listen to whole albums at a time. With that said, I will now try to listen to every album on the Top 500, and rate and review it. Here's the list.

500 Greatest Albums of All Time

I will also comment that I do not know a whole ton about music, and what makes it good. Music is largely subjective, and I'm just giving my opinion.

And thus, it begins.

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Clubs Band: 2/5 stars
Artist: The Beatles
Metacritic score: 100
Listened continuously?: Yes

I remember when this list came out. I honestly thought either "Revolver" or "Rubber Soul" should have been #1 instead of "Sgt. Pepper". I understand the influence of "Pepper" but I still think those two albums moved the needle way more.

Carry on...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when this list came out. I honestly thought either "Revolver" or "Rubber Soul" should have been #1 instead of "Sgt. Pepper". I understand the influence of "Pepper" but I still think those two albums moved the needle way more.

Carry on...
Thank you for your input. I haven't heard either of those albums, but I'm sure I'll give both a listen

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Omar 382, I just listened to "Bloody Angel" by Avatar. Please pull it up on Spotify, listen to it carefully and provide your expert critique on that song right away! I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I know what you think about it!

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Omar 382, I just listened to "Bloody Angel" by Avatar. Please pull it up on Spotify, listen to it carefully and provide your expert critique on that song right away! I don't think I'll be able to sleep until I know what you think about it!
I should become a food critic.

I never eat out, have a severe case of IBS, and have never left my home town of Podunkville, but fuck it, amirite?:heh:
Assholes on a message board who give their unqualified opinions on sports, movies, politics, and just about everything; giving others shit about giving their unqualified opinion on something.

Rich. Almost as rich as Paul McCartney, but not quite. Fucking rich.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assholes on a message board who give their unqualified opinions on sports, movies, politics, and just about everything; giving others shit about giving their unqualified opinion on something.

Rich. Almost as rich as Paul McCartney, but not quite. Fucking rich.

Dude, music is extremely personal. With sports and politics, there are tangible debatable non-opinionated aspects to them. Comparing music albums is strictly opinion and hold very little conversational/debatable value beyond trolling.

Reactions: GNG