• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Olympic Hockey Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pisses me off. Shut up and play your game.
The hit on Brown is fine. It was during the course of a game, and the man was wearing an opposing team sweater/
But opening your mouth about Quick is crap of the highest kind.
I say that stick ends up a good foot up Voynov's rear.
By the way, he didn't say anything while winning the cup. And I hope he apologizes for calling Quick out. Now every team in the NHL will be crying foul when they play the Kings. Especially during the playoffs. With the Dux screaming the loudest.
The only thing that bothers me about this is that he appears to have said it to a teammate, and that teammate brought it to social media. I could see this being a bigger issue if he was out there Tweeting or posting his thoughts, but I think he probably said it in anger within his own locker room, and some clown teammate took it beyond the locker room to the media (Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tweet they showed wasn't from Voynov personally).

It was weak of him to say, for sure, but I would give him a pass for being angry as the home team with all of that pressure and within the confines of his own locker with his fellow countrymen.

That looked like a goal to me when I watched it, and was pretty shocked when they overturned it. Only a few whistles later was it explained regarding the net issue.

You guys said it already, but at the end of the day, the game was still tied with 6 minutes or so left, they had all of OT, and then the shootout to decide it, so the lack of accountability will only hurt Russia going forward.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OCHI, Russia -- The U.S. and Canada have chosen to sit the goaltenders that played in the 2010 gold-medal game at the Vancouver Olympics.

The Americans plan to start Jonathan Quick -- not Ryan Miller -- on Wednesday in the quarterfinals of the Sochi Games. He is thankful that his teammates have played well in front of him.

"Guys are playing great in our own end and competing in front of the net when there are rebounds," Quick said.

The U.S. will play either the Czech Republic or Slovakia.

The Canadians are going with Carey Price -- not Roberto Luongo -- when they're among the final eight teams in the 12-team tournament.

"I'm excited," Price said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity."

The defending Olympic champions will face either Switzerland or Latvia.

Quick started two games in the preliminary round, including the 3-2 shootout win over the host Russians. Price was also in net for two of Canada's first three games.

Luongo helped Canada beat Miller and the U.S. at the Vancouver Games in overtime.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Ruskie coach already blamed Obitchkin for the elimination.

He is deadly on the left side since he is a RH shot and his one-timers are absolute bombs. Hey coach, ever think about playing him there? That would be a no.

Ovechkin was also on the point on the PP, and he clearly was uncomfortable running that. He sits on the left with Mike Greene sending him those one time passes in the NHL. Hey coach, every thought about taking him off the point? That would be a no, too.

Russia had far more issues than Ovechkin not delivering and complaining about a post being off, they just flat out didn't perform. Has to be embarrassing since the Olympics are in their home country but I think the coach was more to blame than the players, he didn't make the adjustments necessary.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well that settles that, US takes on CAN in the semis. Too bad it isn't for all the marbles but still should be good. US is getting production out of the top line while the Canadian defense keeps pitching in goals. It will be interesting to see on the larger ice surface what happens, if the Canadian defense takes away time and space for the US.

Also, Carey Price for Canada vs the US shooters, not that he hasn't faced them in the NHL.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just saw this, they have the hoodies with players name on the back.

Hockey.jpeg

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how many of the Russians end up in Siberia, for this loss?

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that settles that, US takes on CAN in the semis. Too bad it isn't for all the marbles but still should be good. US is getting production out of the top line while the Canadian defense keeps pitching in goals. It will be interesting to see on the larger ice surface what happens, if the Canadian defense takes away time and space for the US.

Also, Carey Price for Canada vs the US shooters, not that he hasn't faced them in the NHL.

How does Canada #3 seed get the worst seed #11 Latvia?

Also, leave it to NBC to %$@# it up once again. Everybody was reporting that the game was on NBCSN at 9:00am PST - turns out it was on USA.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does Canada #3 seed get the worst seed #11 Latvia?

because Canada was playing the winner of the 6-11 matchup, which turned out to be Latvia.

Had all the better seeds won the play-in game, it would have been a 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5. As it turns out it, Latvia was the only upset so Canada lucked out. If Slovakia beat the Czech, US would have played the #12 seed.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it turns out in the semi-finals it's 1 vs 4 (Sweden vs Finland) and 2 vs 3 (USA vs Canada). Very reminiscent of the 1980 Games where the USA had their toughest opponent (USSR) in the semi-finals and then faced Finland in the Gold Medal game in a somewhat anti-climatic event.

Ox

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it turns out in the semi-finals it's 1 vs 4 (Sweden vs Finland) and 2 vs 3 (USA vs Canada). Very reminiscent of the 1980 Games where the USA had their toughest opponent (USSR) in the semi-finals and then faced Finland in the Gold Medal game in a somewhat anti-climatic event.

Ox

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because Canada was playing the winner of the 6-11 matchup, which turned out to be Latvia.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. Why have seeds at all? If they wanted to have all the best teams play for viewership, then why do they screw up the channels for DVR?

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but that makes no sense. Why have seeds at all? If they wanted to have all the best teams play for viewership, then why do they screw up the channels for DVR?

Its like Brackets in the NBA.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and what a game! Shame that empty net try hit the post for the US Girls though. These are very obviously the best two teams in women's hockey.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to see it but been a crazy morning working at the house, hope I can catch a replay later on.

On a side note, I have Tavares in the FHL and he is done for the season with a torn MCL and meniscus. Horrible news for him, really bad news for the Islanders and of course it happens to a guy I have who was 3rd in the league in scoring and really started to establish himself as a leader and super star.

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeck!

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Anyone watching this USA vs Canada women's final? Crazy game.

Yes and what a game! Shame that empty net try hit the post for the US Girls though. These are very obviously the best two teams in women's hockey.

Ox

What a game! I still not sure about the two calls in OT that led to the 5-3. The slash was very ticky tack and then the breakaway, looked the US defender was trying to cross behind to get a different angle on the puck. Was there a slight bump, yes, enough to make a call, not sure. But in the refs viewpoint they only saw the player fall so they had to call it I guess.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a game! I still not sure about the two calls in OT that led to the 5-3. The slash was very ticky tack and then the breakaway, looked the US defender was trying to cross behind to get a different angle on the puck. Was there a slight bump, yes, enough to make a call, not sure. But in the refs viewpoint they only saw the player fall so they had to call it I guess.

All game the refs let numerous calls go and let them play. Canada took a stupid penalty, and they had to even it up. The breakaway would never had happened if the phantom slash call wasn't made.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The US Ladies have nobody to blame except themselves. That game should never have been in OT to start with. Playing not to lose will almost always cause you to do just that - Lose.

Ox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No blame, just a good game. Slashing call on the goalie was weaksauce but Canada should have been rewarded with that penalty shot. That empty net goalpost had so much foreshadowing on it though. Once it didn't go in, you knew that Canada was going to get a chance. Not necessarily score, but you could feel something.

OT was wide open with 4 on 4 and even a little 3 on 3. The only question I had was the announcers said the game winner was a 5 on 3, which I guess is an exception since OT was normally 4 vs 4.