• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Olympic Hockey Thread

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Alexander Frolov says 'I can still score goals better than every King but Carter and Kopitar'" ???

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quick gets the start in game 1 vs Slovakia

Little surprised considering all the talk was about Miller being the starter, but I think they are saving him for Russia or Canada if it goes that way.

Set the alarm for 4am tomorrow, I hope I can get up and not be too tired. This no hockey stuff is getting to me.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to say he might be right.

JK

Frolov was such a dominant player, when he wanted to be. He was unbelievable against the boards and puck protection/possession, I remember seeing guys fly into him and either bounce off or he just absorbed the hit and held onto the puck and made a play.

Too bad he was so inconsistent, he could have been a really good NHL player. He carried this team at times.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little surprised considering all the talk was about Miller being the starter, but I think they are saving him for Russia or Canada if it goes that way.

I think if they play Miller first and he does good, Quick never gets a look. Playing Quick first and if he does well, doesn't mean Miller is out.

Both will see some games, it's still Miller's to lose.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone watch the game? I got up early and caught the first two periods before work.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished watching my recording of it. I won't give away the result in case anyone else may have also recorded it but hasn't had the chance to watch it yet.

Ox

Yeah I recorded it also. Thanks for reminding me not to spoil the outcome.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does everyone think about the NHL players participation in the 2016 Olympics in Seoul, Korea? There seems to be an indication from the league that they may not want them to go. I read that negotiations are going on with the Players Union and the IIHF and expect a decision to be made within the next 6 months.

For myself the games are extremely fun and exciting but I don't like the interruption in the NHL season. Too bad they can't play during the summer games like basketball does but that ain't gonna happen. Hockey is too ingrained into the Winter games. They are talking about resurrecting the World Cup of Hockey in the off-season every 4 years in place of Olympic participation though. Might suffice. And the season interruption is only every 4 years so I can put up with it. I'm guessing the players will want to continue participating. I'm thinking it's the league (Bettman) that doesn't want it. They really didn't want to send them to Sochi but got pressured into it by the Russian players who flat out stated they were going no matter what.

Ox

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings won 61-3.

I watched it. I thanked Ox because I was going to comment on it.

And the Kings went for two instead of kicking the extra point, so it was 62-3 :moony:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of, honestly for me it's very silly. Games on in the middle of the night, who's watching. You can argue that they can be recorded, but most times you find out the score be fore you see the game.
That being said, to me the cup is more important than the Gold or any medal for that matter. If Quick gets hurt while playing, what happens to the Kings? For that matter if any of the Ali gs in the Olympics get hurt, the Kings suffer.
If the US wins the gold, I feel patriotic but the feeling fades. The Kings winning the cup is a memory that is staying with me for a lifetime. During the 80 Olympics I watched the Miracle game, but my viewing was comming from someone who had just arrived in this country a few months earlier, and we were rooting for team USA. I remeber that game and he game against the Fins for the gold. It is a good memory, but not as good as Brown hoisting the cup over his head.
Even if the games are played in North or South America, I still say that the NHL should not send players. I know that other countries can get players from other leagues, I also know that the NBA sends players too. But I feel the same way about NBA players getting hurt and making it tough on their teams to be able to recover. That issue is more acute in the NBA, because there is really no farm system and they have fewer

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the break in the NHL season, but the Olympics are like playoffs. No long drawn out season, it's straight to playoffs. It was also kinda nerve racking hoping the team (and Quick) wouldn't lay an egg.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like having the NHL players participating,so as no more of that -but their guys are pros(Russians) bs.

Being every 4 years,really has no great impact on the league,and some teams/players could use the break.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being every 4 years,really has no great impact on the league,and some teams/players could use the break.

Looks like Detroit can use the break with Zetterberg & Datsyuk being gimpy

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like having the NHL players participating,so as no more of that -but their guys are pros(Russians) bs.

I don't like pros participating because I think the Olympics should belong to the amateurs. This is their only big time stage because they're good enough to represent his/her country but not good enough to be in the NHL. This IS their Stanley Cup.

To some of these kids who train constantly over their lifetime hoping to represent their country because that is all they will ever be is the golden opportunity, but don't worry, Alexander Frolov will be taking your spot.

Don't like it for that reason alone (it's big money and commercialized) and of course the injuries are huge too.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings can use it since 90% of their team has sticks shoved up their asses and can't score.

Doughty & Brown both scored. Ooops.. see what you made me do???????????

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doughty & Brown both scored. Ooops.. see what you made me do???????????

Let's just hope they bring that back to LA when they are done and they aren't broke down and on IR.

On a side note, anyone watching the US Women's team? There are some good looking ladies representing the US.

I'm sure if I tried to hit on one I would get my ass kicked though.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nothing like Women's softball - they are very attractive. Dan Patrick had a hard time concentrating