• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Willing To Include Cash In Figgins Trade: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

What do you guys think about this?

Depending on what we have to give up, I wouldn't think it is a bad idea if the Mariners are willing to kick in that much cash. He could be a nice utility guy, but there are obviously more important things the Giants need to address.

He has some speed, can play multiple positions and has OBP skills.

This has been discussed already, wrt to trading Huff for him. The bottom line is that a Huff trade didn't make sense. He's owed $18MM over the next two years. Say the M's eat $10MM of that. That leaves $8MM over the next two years for a 34 yo utility guy (3b, OF, 2b) who hasn't been good in two years.

I can't imagine giving up anything of value for the guy.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say the M's eat $10MM of that. That leaves $8MM over the next two years for a 34 yo utility guy (3b, OF, 2b) who hasn't been good in two years.

This

I think this is the type of player you go after in mid-season because of an injury to a starting position player AND you are battling for a playoff position. I don't think he's the type of guy you want to make an investment in as you start a new season.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This

I think this is the type of player you go after in mid-season because of an injury to a starting position player AND you are battling for a playoff position. I don't think he's the type of guy you want to make an investment in as you start a new season.

+1

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This has been discussed already, wrt to trading Huff for him. The bottom line is that a Huff trade didn't make sense. He's owed $18MM over the next two years. Say the M's eat $10MM of that. That leaves $8MM over the next two years for a 34 yo utility guy (3b, OF, 2b) who hasn't been good in two years.

I was referring to the fact that they suggest the M's might have to eat up to $15 million of the $17 million remaining on the contract. I don't think that is very likely, but I wasn't suggesting paying him $4 million a year to be a utility player.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to the fact that they suggest the M's might have to eat up to $15 million of the $17 million remaining on the contract. I don't think that is very likely, but I wasn't suggesting paying him $4 million a year to be a utility player.

Ok, let's go with your numbers. You'd give up something of value for a 34 yo utility guy who hasn't been good in two years?

I'd rather just sign DeRo at that point.

And I'm not in favor of re-signing DeRo.
:think:

xxERICSMITHXX

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok, let's go with your numbers. You'd give up something of value for a 34 yo utility guy who hasn't been good in two years?

I'd rather just sign DeRo at that point.

And I'm not in favor of re-signing DeRo.
:think:

Like I said, it depends on what that something of value is.

I wasn't putting it out there as something the Giants should or need to do. It was just something I saw that was interesting enough to talk about. I wouldn't have a problem with the Giants trading a potential pen guy that doesn't figure into their plans, but might be somewhat useful for the M's. It would have to be a move that would allow the Giants to save enough money in order to help fit a legit bat into the payroll. If DeRosa wants to come back for $1 million a year, I would prefer him as well.

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This

If the cost to the Giants is acceptable now and if the Giants have someone that they need to move or lose now, could he be a trade chip for the Giants in mid-season when someone from the minors shines and needs to take his place?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, it depends on what that something of value is.

I wasn't putting it out there as something the Giants should or need to do. It was just something I saw that was interesting enough to talk about. I wouldn't have a problem with the Giants trading a potential pen guy that doesn't figure into their plans, but might be somewhat useful for the M's. It would have to be a move that would allow the Giants to save enough money in order to help fit a legit bat into the payroll. If DeRosa wants to come back for $1 million a year, I would prefer him as well.

Sure, but if you're the M's wouldn't you rather roll the dice that Figgins wakes up?

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Giants are rumored to be interested in Jerry Hairston Jr. He is better than Figgins and will enable the team to non-tender Keppinger. Hairston can play 2B, 3B, SS and the OF.

Hairston >>> Figgins.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants are rumored to be interested in Jerry Hairston Jr. He is better than Figgins and will enable the team to non-tender Keppinger. Hairston can play 2B, 3B, SS and the OF.

Hairston >>> Figgins.

And he wouldn't go up against us! It's a Mark Portugal/Kirk Rueter transaction.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And he wouldn't go up against us! It's a Mark Portugal/Kirk Rueter transaction.

+1. (well, I would if I could. But apparently I have been giving you too much rep lately).

Ain't that the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I received some interesting Thanksgiving news from down in Tampa. Apparently, the Yankees recently contacted the Giants and offered four players for Matt Cain. The package was a combination of at least one position player and several minor league pitchers. Some of the names that were bandied about were Jesus Montero, Nick Swisher, and different minor league talent that included names such as Dellin Betances, Adam Warren, David Phelps and Hector Noesi.

The Giants, flat out turned down the deal.

When I asked a West Coast source to confirm this, he told me that “several clubs” have contacted the Giants in regards to Cain’s availability.

As I’ve stated in the past, Brian Cashman can call the Giants all he wants in regards to Cain, but I just don’t think that he’s going anywhere. In fact, I think the Giants will do everything in their power to keep both Cain and Tim Lincecum in Giant uniforms for the long haul.
<http://nybaseballdigest.com/?p=41582>

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hairston >>> Figgins.

I would like this move. Gives us somebody who can potentially platoon with Crawford and who can play some 2nd if Sanchez gets injured again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I received some interesting Thanksgiving news from down in Tampa. Apparently, the Yankees recently contacted the Giants and offered four players for Matt Cain. The package was a combination of at least one position player and several minor league pitchers. Some of the names that were bandied about were Jesus Montero, Nick Swisher, and different minor league talent that included names such as Dellin Betances, Adam Warren, David Phelps and Hector Noesi.

The Giants, flat out turned down the deal.

When I asked a West Coast source to confirm this, he told me that “several clubs” have contacted the Giants in regards to Cain’s availability.

As I’ve stated in the past, Brian Cashman can call the Giants all he wants in regards to Cain, but I just don’t think that he’s going anywhere. In fact, I think the Giants will do everything in their power to keep both Cain and Tim Lincecum in Giant uniforms for the long haul.
<http://nybaseballdigest.com/?p=41582>

A Spankee fan friend of mine who supposedly has friends in the Spankee org, told me about 6 months back that the Spanks offered Cano straight up for Cain and Zito, and Sabes countered with Cain and Zito for Cano and Banuellos. Assuming that offer actually happened, I took the counter offer to basically say, "fuck off" to the Spanks.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Spankee fan friend of mine who supposedly has friends in the Spankee org, told me about 6 months back that the Spanks offered Cano straight up for Cain and Zito, and Sabes countered with Cain and Zito for Cano and Banuellos. Assuming that offer actually happened, I took the counter offer to basically say, "fuck off" to the Spanks.

Like all rumors and 'I heard...'s, who knows how real this is, but it gives us something to yak about.

Not sure asking for Banuelos is a fuck you move so much as necessary. We'd need a pitching prospect back for the deal. But freeing up Zito's $ almost as good as getting Cano.

Would you guys pull the trigger if the Yankees did indeed say yes to Cano and Banuelos for Cain and eating all of Zito's $?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys pull the trigger if the Yankees did indeed say yes to Cano and Banuelos for Cain and eating all of Zito's $?

I love our pitching staff and that's the issue I'm struggling with. It's the staff and not just one individual pitcher. I would have traded Cain for Cano. Would have been a difficult choice but would rather have Cano for 162 games than Cain for 30. I think Cano's impact would be felt more than Cain's.

I'm from the old school and still belive that team can be built around a marquee player with an average pitching staff or an elite pitching staff with an average offense. I think that Cain leaving our staff would have a less effect than Cano joining our offense.

Also having Zito off our books would have been a big financial plus. Maybe enough to have chased after Buehrle in the off season.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like all rumors and 'I heard...'s, who knows how real this is, but it gives us something to yak about.

Not sure asking for Banuelos is a fuck you move so much as necessary. We'd need a pitching prospect back for the deal. But freeing up Zito's $ almost as good as getting Cano.

If Sabey Sabes could get another decent pitching prospect for Franchez, yes.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sabey Sabes could get another decent pitching prospect for Franchez, yes.

I'd think he could do exactly that.

That kind of trade probably does improve the team enough to make it work:

OUT
Cain
Zito and his $ drain
Franchez

IN
Cano
Banuelos
Another pitching prospect for Franchez
A new pitcher (like a Buerhle) with Zito's $ and we save some besides.
And we now can easily keep Timmy since we don't have to also pay Cain.