• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Wilson, but if he wants anything over his current $8mil per, then he can go to the greener grasses. I know closers are important, but I just can't justify paying that much for a guy that (usually) only come in if the team is winning.

If Romo proves he can pitch 60-70 innings and get both righties and lefties out, sorry B-Weez I love ya, but that beard got to expensive and could probably fetch something decent.

Or hope for Hembree.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Romo proves he can pitch 60-70 innings and get both righties and lefties out, sorry B-Weez I love ya, but that beard got to expensive and could probably fetch something decent.

Or hope for Hembree.

+1. Casilla is ready, too. If Wilson hadn't hurt his elbow again, the potential return for him would've been much higher this off-season. They might try to prove that he hasn't lost anything and move him close to the deadline, but it seems like a bad idea to help a contender get a Top 5 closer. Then, factor in the marketing hit of losing such a character, and I think the front office will err on the side of keeping him until he walks for the money they aren't willing to pay him. Trading him could certainly free up a lot of money that would be helpful in FA negotiations this year, though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1. Casilla is ready, too. If Wilson hadn't hurt his elbow again, the potential return for him would've been much higher this off-season. They might try to prove that he hasn't lost anything and move him close to the deadline, but it seems like a bad idea to help a contender get a Top 5 closer. Then, factor in the marketing hit of losing such a character, and I think the front office will err on the side of keeping him until he walks for the money they aren't willing to pay him. Trading him could certainly free up a lot of money that would be helpful in FA negotiations this year, though.

I think that it won't be until next offseason we consider trading Wilson because a lot needs to happen, someone needs to prove themselves (Romo, Casilla, Hembree), he needs to build his value back up and it would be nice to have a playoff tested closer if we are making a playoff run.

Unless someone steps up and another team comes up with a lucrative deal, we probably wont be thinking about this until next offseason.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Willing To Include Cash In Figgins Trade: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Chone Figgens anyone? I don't see where he fits on defense, but if he gets back to his career norm in OBP, he is still a pretty good leadoff option.

Likely wouldn't cost much, Mariners willing to eat salary. Hell we could do a Huff-Figgens swap.

He could back-up at third and 2nd, and provide some much-needed speed off the bench. This team is so desperate for speed, I think it's worth looking into.

Side note: I've found that women in general (and my wife in particular) have a much deeper loyalty to players on teams they root for then most men (and cerainly all of us on here). That said, the thought of dumping Ross and trading Huff and Wilson bums me out a bit.

Still...Huff for Figgins, with the Ms, picking up most of Chone's salary (thus freeing up 1B for Belt)? Shit, I'd probably do it in a minute.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could back-up at third and 2nd, and provide some much-needed speed off the bench. This team is so desperate for speed, I think it's worth looking into.

Side note: I've found that women in general (and my wife in particular) have a much deeper loyalty to players on teams they root for then most men (and cerainly all of us on here). That said, the thought of dumping Ross and trading Huff and Wilson bums me out a bit.

Still...Huff for Figgins, with the Ms, picking up most of Chone's salary (thus freeing up 1B for Belt)? Shit, I'd probably do it in a minute.

I know how you feel (except for Ross :hand:). It would be very sad to see Huff and Wilson go, but then again I could just think about all the Huffers he hit. Wilson would be sad.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or hope for Hembree.

I believe the organization fears Romo would break down if he was used several days in a row. Looking over his 2011 game log, he was rarely used in back-to-back games, and only once was he used in three games in a row (and that was is Sept.).

I hate a closer by committee, but I think a combo of Lopez, Casilla, and Romo could get the job done if needed. I wonder what the Red Sox would give up for Wilson...

Question for Cal and other minor league stats gurus: what are the chances Hembree plays a key role on the 2012 Giants? Is he ML closer material? Set up guy?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know how you feel (except for Ross :hand:). It would be very sad to see Huff and Wilson go, but then again I could just think about all the Huffers he hit. Wilson would be sad.

We'll be screaming for a trade when he weakly grounds out to second in his
1st AB on opening day. :mmph:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners Willing To Include Cash In Figgins Trade: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Chone Figgens anyone? I don't see where he fits on defense, but if he gets back to his career norm in OBP, he is still a pretty good leadoff option.

Likely wouldn't cost much, Mariners willing to eat salary. Hell we could do a Huff-Figgens swap.

Interesting idea, but we'd be asking them to take Huffer and eat an additional $5MM on Figgins' contract. So we end up paying Chone -- and his name should be fucking spelled Shawn or Sean btw -- $10MM (over two years) to be a reserve IF instead of Huff $10MM (for one year) to be a starting 1b? It does open up a spot for Belt and give us a backup to Panda and Freddy.

You'd be hoping for an injury bounce back. I'd pass, get Sizemore and keep Huff. Huff's a better bet to put up superior numbers and is a leader in the clubhouse. I believe Figgins had problems?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the organization fears Romo would break down if he was used several days in a row. Looking over his 2011 game log, he was rarely used in back-to-back games, and only once was he used in three games in a row (and that was is Sept.).

I hate a closer by committee, but I think a combo of Lopez, Casilla, and Romo could get the job done if needed. I wonder what the Red Sox would give up for Wilson...

Question for Cal and other minor league stats gurus: what are the chances Hembree plays a key role on the 2012 Giants? Is he ML closer material? Set up guy?

Chances? 20%.
Closer material? Hell yes.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have yet to hear anything negative on Hembree. I also expect him to be in the lower portion if the BA top 100 this year.

That said, he may get his cup o' joe, but I do not see him being a key part until '13 earliest.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from ESPN:

New York Yankees left fielder Brett Gardner is among the very best defensive outfielders in the game. He should have won a Gold Glove, and while his offensive production dipped in 2011, he's still a quality player. He's also under contract for four more years, isn't eligible for arbitration until after next season, runs like the wind and bats left-handed. Yep, he's marketable, and as Anthony McCarron writes, Gardner could be a valuable trade piece for the Yankees.

There have been no real indicators that the Yankees are looking to include Gardner in a package, perhaps for starting pitching, though that doesn't mean it won't happen. With reports that the Yankees believe free agents Edwin Jackson and C.J. Wilson are too pricey, a trade may be the only way the Bombers significantly upgrade their rotation.

If Gardner is dealt, however, they would need more outfield help, as Andruw Jones is a free agent.

I'm jumping to some conclusions, but starting to wonder if we could've gotten Gardner in a Sanchez deal. Gardner would have been a more attractive leadoff hitter where Melky is the more all-around player.

Gardner has accumulated 11.3 WAR the last 2 years, good for 13th in MLB. Also he is the best defensive OF right now. Not complaining about anything, just makes me wonder.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from ESPN:

New York Yankees left fielder Brett Gardner is among the very best defensive outfielders in the game. He should have won a Gold Glove, and while his offensive production dipped in 2011, he's still a quality player. He's also under contract for four more years, isn't eligible for arbitration until after next season, runs like the wind and bats left-handed. Yep, he's marketable, and as Anthony McCarron writes, Gardner could be a valuable trade piece for the Yankees.

There have been no real indicators that the Yankees are looking to include Gardner in a package, perhaps for starting pitching, though that doesn't mean it won't happen. With reports that the Yankees believe free agents Edwin Jackson and C.J. Wilson are too pricey, a trade may be the only way the Bombers significantly upgrade their rotation.

If Gardner is dealt, however, they would need more outfield help, as Andruw Jones is a free agent.

I'm jumping to some conclusions, but starting to wonder if we could've gotten Gardner in a Sanchez deal. Gardner would have been a more attractive leadoff hitter where Melky is the more all-around player.

Gardner has accumulated 11.3 WAR the last 2 years, good for 13th in MLB. Also he is the best defensive OF right now. Not complaining about anything, just makes me wonder.

I think if they traded Sanchez at the end of last year maybe. This offseason, no fucking way (in my humble opinion of course :D). I'd love to have Gardner though.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they traded Sanchez at the end of last year maybe. This offseason, no fucking way (in my humble opinion of course :D). I'd love to have Gardner though.

It would certainly take a prospect that is better than Ryan Verdugo. Might have been worth it, though. Certainly, can't happen now. The Giants' rotation is set... at least until Zeets predictably collapses. I hope Surkamp is working hard in the off-season.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would certainly take a prospect that is better than Ryan Verdugo. Might have been worth it, though. Certainly, can't happen now. The Giants' rotation is set... at least until Zeets predictably collapses. I hope Surkamp is working hard in the off-season.

Think he'll tease us with a good start to the year again, before the collapse?