• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what sf giants r the best meant was that Hembree should be included in the Triple-A staff.

Originally, you said (emphasis mine), "I've got to figure Hensley is pretty close to a lock as is William Hemp. Surkamp and Ortiz end up in Fresno as AAA SP depth. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to stretch Runz out. Correa, Edlefsen and Otero to Fresno.

Then he said, "Throw Hembree in there. I think Ortiz, Kamp, Runzler, Burress are the AAA rotation, Hembree closes. Mota/Hensley make ML club."

At least that's how I interpreted his statement. Hembree will be the closer at Fres-neck. And I agree. I think Hembree says in Fresno all year and learns in the top-level minors. If something drastic happens and injuries pile up, they may give him a chance, but I think multiple players would have to succumb to the injury bug first.

I also think that if he lights up the batters in the Pacific Coast League, the Giants would consider trading Wilson in the off-season.

What he said. I just wanted to throw Hembree's name in there because he is in the AAA mix and a call up option if it comes down to it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say Wilson has a solid, healthy year next season, and Hembree continues to put up video game numbers in the minors. What do you want in return for Wilson?

Pitching prospects?
OF Prospects?
IF Prospects?
A player already in the ML?

Last closer that I can recall being traded with a year left on his deal was Capps, and he got Wilson Ramos straight up - but Weez is better than Capps any day of the week.

Depends. It'd be nice to get a good SP prospect, but if the team could package something together for an impact bat I'd do that. Depends what's out there, say Adam Jones?

Last edited by a moderator:

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Depends. It'd be nice to get a good SP prospect, but if the team could package something together for an impact bat I'd do that. Depends what's out there, say Adam Jones?

IMO, the market is pretty much limited to teams that need a closer, and Weez isn't gonna be cheap that final year, so I think that shortens up the pool even more to teams that are in contention. Also, League, Mo (possibly), Valverde, Soria, Street, Putz, and K-Rod are all FA.... Shit, this isn't looking like a great trade Wilson :( Too many guys available for teams who want to spend money vs parting with cost controlled players.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the market is pretty much limited to teams that need a closer, and Weez isn't gonna be cheap that final year, so I think that shortens up the pool even more to teams that are in contention. Also, League, Mo (possibly), Valverde, Soria, Street, Putz, and K-Rod are all FA.... Shit, this isn't looking like a great trade Wilson :( Too many guys available for teams who want to spend money vs parting with cost controlled players.

Of this list, though, Weezy is better than all but Soria (assuming he has a good year in '12).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of this list, though, Weezy is better than all but Soria (assuming he has a good year in '12).

Add to that Weezy's non-pitching marketability (ie, aura, wow factor), which makes him attractive to owners. He's exciting in a way all the others aren't.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

True, but the downside to Wilson is he's going to cost players and money. I don't know for a fact that it will hurt any negotiations, I'm just hoping it doesn't.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say Wilson has a solid, healthy year next season, and Hembree continues to put up video game numbers in the minors. What do you want in return for Wilson?

Pitching prospects?
OF Prospects?
IF Prospects?

Last closer that I can recall being traded with a year left on his deal was Capps, and he got Wilson Ramos straight up - but Weez is better than Capps any day of the week.

I think I'd trade a healthy, 40 save Weez for 1 or 2 minor league AL prospects if they also take Zito.

Yankees: Banuelos and Williams
Rangers: Perez and Martin, or just Profar
BoSox: Bogearts and Jacobs
Angels: Richards and Segura, or just Trout
Rays: Lee and Torres, or just Moore
Jays: Marisnick and Niccolino
Orioles: D Bundy and Schoop, or just Machado
Tigers: Crosby and Collins, or just Turner
ChiSox: no fit here
Indians: Lindor and Howard
Royals: Starling and Odorizzi, or just Myers
Twinkies: Rosario and Hendricks
Astros: Springer and Cosart
A'ss: No fit
Mariners: Paxton and Franklin, or Hultzen, or Walker

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd trade a healthy, 40 save Weez for 1 or 2 minor league AL prospects if they also take Zito.

Yankees: Banuelos and Williams
Rangers: Perez and Martin, or just Profar
BoSox: Bogearts and Jacobs
Angels: Richards and Segura, or just Trout
Rays: Lee and Torres, or just Moore
Jays: Marisnick and Niccolino
Orioles: D Bundy and Schoop, or just Machado
Tigers: Crosby and Collins, or just Turner
ChiSox: no fit here
Indians: Lindor and Howard
Royals: Starling and Odorizzi, or just Myers
Twinkies: Rosario and Hendricks
Astros: Springer and Cosart
A'ss: No fit
Mariners: Paxton and Franklin, or Hultzen, or Walker

I don't see any of these happening... but then again Nats got Ramos for Capps so you never really know.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any of these happening... but then again Nats got Ramos for Capps so you never really know.

I THINK tz was being sarcastic with these offers.

Does anyone really expect to get Trout from LA for Weezy and Zito?

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I could see some happening, especially teams like the BoSox, Yanks, and Indians that have a history of trading big for the pieces they want. Keep in mind this hypothetical trade is a year away and then some. Prospects could burst onto the scene in any of the time between, so trying to predict anything this far in advance is just for fun more than anything.

Some of the guys like Moore, Trout, Profar, Bundy, Hultzen, Machado and Starling are about as untouchable as they come. Would have been like someone asking us for Posey...would have never happened.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, if they would take Zito, I'd throw in Weezy as a BOGO. For nothing in return.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I THINK tz was being sarcastic with these offers.

Does anyone really expect to get Trout from LA for Weezy and Zito?

No, not being sarcastic. For some of those teams, taking on Zito would be a non-starter. For others, it would depend on being desperate for a closer.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Pitching prospects?
OF Prospects?
IF Prospects?

Honestly, I think that the Giants would take one good prospect, regardless of position. It would really depend on which team wanted him. I am not expecting Mike Trout or Bryce Harper, but I would expect a prospect with a legit chance to make the team and to be a regular in the near future. After all, the team getting Weezy would be getting one of the top closers in the game at the peak of his career.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not being sarcastic. For some of those teams, taking on Zito would be a non-starter. For others, it would depend on being desperate for a closer.

In fact, I would be willing to up the ante on the BOGO:

Take Zito, and the remainder of his contract, and we will throw in any other player you want (also with the contract), with the exceptions of Timmy, Cain, Bum, Panda, and Posey.

For nothing. Maybe a PTBNL if that's what it takes to make it legal.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't hate zito enough for that. With our farm being meh from all the back end draft picks and graduations to the ML, we need to try and maximize on returns. Zito is just a bitter pill we're going to have to swallow.

What we save in money may not equal the money saved from dealing a possible cost controlled player like Belt, Stamos, Chez3 ect....

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate zito enough for that. With our farm being meh from all the back end draft picks and graduations to the ML, we need to try and maximize on returns. Zito is just a bitter pill we're going to have to swallow.

What we save in money may not equal the money saved from dealing a possible cost controlled player like Belt, Stamos, Chez3 ect....

Michael+Corleone.bmp

It's not personal -- it's strictly business.

I don't hold it against Zito that he wasn't worth even 20% of what we paid for him.

I'd be hard pressed to name a prospect we have that isn't worth the appx $47 million we would still save by dumping Zito's salary.

MAYBE Belt at the upper end of his ceiling, IF he pans out like we all hope he will. But that is a big if.