• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL Draft - Cornhusker edition

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess and it is just that--a guess-- is Bo still thinks he has or gets the same talent that he had at LSU. And that ain't gonna happen. What Bo has lacked is the ability to take the talent we have and let's face it our defensive talent hasn't been lacking, but Bo wants to take the talent we have to fit his "schemes" rather than adjusting his schemes to fit our talent.

This is something that took McBride a long time to figure out during the Osborne years. IMO Bo's type of defense is better suited to the pros. And unfortunately, I think he's too stubborn to make the adjustments like McBride did.

Agree completely.....have said so before, and think many of us that aren't Bo apologists here feel this way.....I know RA thinks this as well......

I just don't understand how any coach insists his schemes will work when he clearly doesn't have the talent required to execute them properly.....So instead of changing his plans to something the talent he fields can play, he stubbornly sticks with his plan when he's doing a great disservice to his players and their chances of having success on the field.....

We can't fire the guy for obvious reasons, and I don't think any other program is going to lure him away from Nebraska, so we can only hope that he can swallow his pride and admit that he can't "coach" a player up to a complex scheme unless they have the talent required to execute properly.....

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess and it is just that--a guess-- is Bo still thinks he has or gets the same talent that he had at LSU. And that ain't gonna happen. What Bo has lacked is the ability to take the talent we have and let's face it our defensive talent hasn't been lacking, but Bo wants to take the talent we have to fit his "schemes" rather than adjusting his schemes to fit our talent.

This is something that took McBride a long time to figure out during the Osborne years. IMO Bo's type of defense is better suited to the pros. And unfortunately, I think he's too stubborn to make the adjustments like McBride did.

Kind of a stretch on the McBride thing.

McBride's defenses were fine against the Big 8. It's when Nebraska played the Florida schools (their type of offenses) that they didn't match-up well.

NU's big run stopping LB's struggled covering the speedy receivers down there.

McBride went down there during the offseason to see what they were doing and made the adjustments.

He basically moved what were typically safeties and corners up...

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I question the talent Bo has been bringing in since 2008.

Outside of a few players, he's been getting (what I consider) the best of the mid-majors. So finishing the polls in the 20's is probably pretty accurate.

It would take a hell of a coach to get NU back to the elite level and NU is a good pace off of it.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Callahan comes in with the stubborn square peg/round hole philosophy and gets crucified. Bo comes in with the same philosophy and gets a pass every year? Why?

I will say that I disagree with the comment about Bo fitting his scheme to the players he has. His scheme is his scheme and that is what he knows how to coach and that is ok. What he lacks is the ability to adapt to his surrounding and try anything different because then it seems that he would have to admit that his scheme isn't working and he would never want to admit that something that he has the utmost confidence in might actually be wrong. But he doesn't need to fit his scheme to the players he has. He has been here long enough that he should be recruiting the players to fit his scheme and be able to develop them to run his scheme. He is obviously, so far, incapable of doing that.

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is it recruit the players you need for your scheme, or adjust to the talent you have??

I just don't see us getting LSU or bama talent, and Bo defense is probably the toughest to learn in college BC no high school coach is going to run it.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initially I believe you should adjust to the talent. After a while though you need to recruit to what you want to run. Hoke did that in Michigan with Robinson but has been recruiting for they offense he really wants.

I believe he is trying to recruit the type of players to run his system. He is not that dumb not to. I just don't believe that he can develop the players to excel in it.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what defense do you think we should switch to? I personally think that we are going to suffer untill we get some big strong DT in here. I think that our dline is the softest part of this nebraska team.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initially I believe you should adjust to the talent. After a while though you need to recruit to what you want to run. Hoke did that in Michigan with Robinson but has been recruiting for they offense he really wants.

I believe he is trying to recruit the type of players to run his system. He is not that dumb not to. I just don't believe that he can develop the players to excel in it.

I agree

I just don't understand that if everyone knows its a complicated defense then why aren't you getting SEC like talent?!! Instead crying about recruiting. I know he did a great job with the 08-09 defense but those weren't below avg talent and some weren't hes recruit. Hes gotta recruit like a madman

He's defense works.... But it needs top talent plain and simple.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree

I just don't understand that if everyone knows its a complicated defense then why aren't you getting SEC like talent?!! Instead crying about recruiting. I know he did a great job with the 08-09 defense but those weren't below avg talent and some weren't hes recruit. Hes gotta recruit like a madman

He's defense works.... But it needs top talent plain and simple.

I think it's too easy to recruit against him. Just show the kids and their parents pictures of Bo blowing his top, getting into altercations with his players, and scores of the blowout losses.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what defense do you think we should switch to? I personally think that we are going to suffer untill we get some big strong DT in here. I think that our dline is the softest part of this nebraska team.

If you don't have a good dline doesn't matter what you run. I feel we did good with the peso back in 2010. And 3-4 would only work if VV was or lives up to spring hype. I think 3-3-5 is a cool defense but nobody runs that and that would only work in a pass happy league like the big 12

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's too easy to recruit against him. Just show the kids and their parents pictures of Bo blowing his top, getting into altercations with his players, and scores of the blowout losses.

The thing that sort of sticks in my mind from last year are the similarities to that defense and the last one Callahan had. Far too many players out of shape and far too many with their hands in the air suggesting they were either giving up or didn't know what the hell was going on.

Was last years bunch as bad as Callahans last year? No. But on the field futlilty doesn't look good "on camera". A team can have the right game plan and be out coached. That's one thing. But our defense, right now, seems to be more of trying to fit square pegs in round holes. And I don'tthink Bo sees that right now/yet.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't argue that..... No surprise weren't on many primetime games either. I see urban and hoke are gonna eat up big ten recruiting wise.

It's sad to see UK and ole miss do so well recruiting wise last year...
Let me know when they get a football history or even a couple good years in a row

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that doesn't come into play at all... parents and athletes love Pelini when they meet him and many say that they don't believe the media perception of him. The Jack Hoffman run did nothing but help his image, he's fine. it's the system and the blowouts that really hurt us on the recruiting trail.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that doesn't come into play at all... parents and athletes love Pelini when they meet him and many say that they don't believe the media perception of him. The Jack Hoffman run did nothing but help his image, he's fine. it's the system and the blowouts that really hurt us on the recruiting trail.

Oh, I'd definitely be bashing his system to a potential recruit.

blkflagmafia

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think its more than blowouts and system.....

UK and ole miss

Jack Hoffman is an incredible story wonderful kid, but people and future recruits will forget about it or not care. People forget how clean Bo football program has been hardly any arrest no violation yet they still flock down south....the Hallmark stories wont bring em in.

If its about image and clean program we be up there with the elite Bo has done a wonderful job in that dept.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruits want to be coached by the best coaches, play right away, and get to the NFL. Where is the best place to do that? The SEC!!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beaches, Bitches, and Bling don't hurt.