• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like LA is a go...

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: what he said

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Rams fan since a child and whether it is St Louis, LA or London, I am still a Rams fan. Take the name away and the horns, we would have another conversation but as is, Rams are the Rams where ever they are.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to have some animosity towards the city of STL. Nobody fell asleep at the switch. Rumors have been flying about moving to London or LA for years now because Kroenke is only loyal to money

Exactly. I don't get this STL dropped the ball talk? the lease was just up. what was the city suppose to do build another stadium when the one they are playing in isn't even paid for its only 25 years old. how many cities have built 2 nfl stadiums in 25 years? none that i know of. when was the last time LA built a nfl stadium? and we are way ahead already to build another stadium. shit San diego has been trying for 12 years… the Raiders for ever. it took Atlanta years along with the vikings to get their stadiums going. we would be years ahead of the schedule any of those teams took.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been a Rams fan since a child and whether it is St Louis, LA or London, I am still a Rams fan. Take the name away and the horns, we would have another conversation but as is, Rams are the Rams where ever they are.
Even if they moved the team to Syria?

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams back in LA with their BLUE & YELLOW( blue and gold are god awful) uniforms sounds good and seems right. Now all we need is the Texans to change their uniforms to the Oilers and I will be happy.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I don't get this STL dropped the ball talk? the lease was just up. what was the city suppose to do build another stadium when the one they are playing in isn't even paid for its only 25 years old. how many cities have built 2 nfl stadiums in 25 years? none that i know of. when was the last time LA built a nfl stadium? and we are way ahead already to build another stadium. shit San diego has been trying for 12 years… the Raiders for ever. it took Atlanta years along with the vikings to get their stadiums going. we would be years ahead of the schedule any of those teams took.

Cougar, what the city failed to do is engage in dialogue with Kroneke that the lease was approaching to expire and what were the plans of the Rams. It is called negotiations which never developed years previous. St Louis just disappeared because Kroneke at this point stopped answering their phone calls. He did this because they did not negotiate the years previous about the future. So, he went to LA and started there. You have the building a stadium stuck in your head and I am addressing what transpired prior to all of that.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like the Chargers and Raiders may have just thrown up a road block. a proposed stadium they will share in LA.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know if that is a roadblock, Cougar. Right now it is going to be a watch and wait proposition.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know if that is a roadblock, Cougar. Right now it is going to be a watch and wait proposition.

true but that might be why STL is going to town on the stadium. the NFL would probably want two teams in LA and the Rams will have a new stadium here.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to weigh in on that whole Raiders/Chargers proposal. I honestly think THIS is what the NFL wanted all along. Raiders have already volunteered to move to the NFC West so essentially it would be Giants/Jets West Coast version. And yes, the Rams would probably move to the AFC West as it would make geographic sense with LA, Denver, KC and St Louis. Then the NFC West would be LA,SF,AZ and Seattle. At this point I think it is a question of who puts shovel to dirt first. But I also feel like that THIS was what the NFL wanted in the first place. Like retro said, we shall see. It is going to be an exciting 12 months.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tidbit I just read on CBS. The Raiders and Chargers have already BOUGHT the land in Carson. They OWN it outright. They can start building immediately. They also stated in the article that the stadium will be privately funded, which means no public vote needed. This could REALLY get interesting. I am almost beginning to wonder if Kroenke knew that Davis and Spanos owned that Carson land (which is THREE TIMES bigger than the Inglewood land btw) and simply used LA as leverage (again like 14 other teams have before him) to get what he wanted here in St Louis. Again, the next 6-8 months will be fun to watch.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tidbit I just read on CBS. The Raiders and Chargers have already BOUGHT the land in Carson. They OWN it outright. They can start building immediately. They also stated in the article that the stadium will be privately funded, which means no public vote needed. This could REALLY get interesting. I am almost beginning to wonder if Kroenke knew that Davis and Spanos owned that Carson land (which is THREE TIMES bigger than the Inglewood land btw) and simply used LA as leverage (again like 14 other teams have before him) to get what he wanted here in St Louis. Again, the next 6-8 months will be fun to watch.

It sure does seem like that. Stan has never said publicly that he wants to move from St. Louis. I think Peacock knew about the Charger/ Raider thing too. Anyway you look at it it seems to be good news for St. Louis. The Rams would mostly relocate to the AFC West and the chargers going to the NFC West.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting developments indeed. Perhaps Kroneke has been playing a lot of people for leverage purposes and gain the max bucks he is always after.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting developments indeed. Perhaps Kroneke has been playing a lot of people for leverage purposes and gain the max bucks he is always after.

thats all that SOB cares about is money. doesn't care about STL or LA. Ill give him credit for letting Fisher spend money on bringing in pretty big FA like Long, Cook, Finnigan. even though they haven't worked out so good.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL comes out with a win,win,win. Two teams that need new stadiums Oakland and San diego get a new stadium in LA. NFL now has two teams in LA

Kroenke gets a new stadium in STL.

Rams will move to the AFC West. Creates in state Rams vs Chiefs Rivalry and makes travel sense.

Chargers switch to the NFC West Makes sense being close to the NFC West teams.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kroenke 's Power Play Shakes Leaves. ESPN

LOS ANGELES -- If St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke had not announced plans in January to build an 80,000-seat stadium in Inglewood, the San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders would still be quietly trying to find stadium solution in their home markets.

They would not have partnered to buy a 168-acre parcel of land near the 405 Freeway in Carson, California, to build a $1.7 billion stadium, according to Mark Fabiani, the Chargers' special counsel and longtime leader on stadium issues, who spoke to ESPN.com on Friday.

And they would not have put their local municipalities on the clock to find enough public funding for a new stadium by the end of next season or else.

But Kroenke's power play nearly three months ago changed everything.

"We deliberately changed our strategy in the wake of what Kroenke did," Fabiani said. "When this opportunity to create an alternative came along we decided to seize it.

"The only thing that has moved the ball in L.A. has been Stan. If Stan hadn't done what he did, then we wouldn't have done what we did, and the Raiders wouldn't have done what the Raiders did and we wouldn't even be talking about this today. It would be another quiet year of working in San Diego and working in Oakland and Stan would be in St. Louis talking to those guys, but he changed the world."

Before Kroenke revealed his decision, no NFL owner ever had attached himself to a stadium plan in Los Angeles. Every previous stadium proposal was backed by outsiders with no ties to a team and therefore no real way to turn a vision into reality. But Kroenke could essentially move the Rams to L.A. at the end of the 2015 season, with or without the league's approval, leaving the Chargers and Raiders in the dust when it comes to an L.A. move -- the alternative plan they've kept in their back pocket for two decades if they couldn't get a new stadium built in their own markets.

The Chargers contacted the land owner of the long-vacant Carson Marketplace last summer to see how much of the site had been cleaned up -- it's part of an old municipal landfill -- and how much more money needed to be spent to finish the job. At that point the Chargers also opened a dialogue with Carson officials about what else needed to be done to build a stadium on the site.

"Really the decision to go forward wasn't made in earnest until Stan made his move in Inglewood," Fabiani said. "At that point we hired a new architect because our old architect works for Phil Anschutz (who has a competing NFL stadium proposal in downtown L.A.). He could help us down here in San Diego but he couldn't help us in L.A."

The Chargers hired David Manica, president of Manica Architecture. Manica formerly headed up HOK Sport, where he led the design of the Houston Texans' stadium and the renovation of Sun Life Stadium, the home of the Miami Dolphins. The early renderings of the Carson stadium were on display at a news conference Friday in Carson.

The Chargers then reached out to Goldman Sachs about financing. The firm was behind the financing model for Levi's Stadium, the home of the San Francisco 49ers in Santa Clara.

"We took the template of the Santa Clara funding mechanisms ... so we basically took that and adjusted it for different costs here," Fabiani said. "We acquired the land at the end of January officially and the discussions with the Raiders happened over the last couple of weeks and they only finalized themselves in the last couple of days."

The site has been on the NFL's radar since the 1990s, when former Walt Disney Co. president Michael Ovitz had plans to build a stadium and entertainment district called "The Hacienda" for an NFL expansion team that ultimately went to Houston in 1999. The league also has tried to buy the site three times since then, according to sources, so it could potentially develop it themselves.

"It's not a site that we picked out of thin air," Fabiani said. "It's a site the league is comfortable with."

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer appointed a nine-member stadium advisory group to come up with a recommendation for a stadium site and a financing plan last month, but the team has viewed that effort as a futile, last-ditch attempt to keep the team in San Diego. Faulconer took exception to the Chargers' plans.

"It's now abundantly clear that while we have been working here in San Diego to create a plan for a new stadium, the Chargers have for some time been making their own plans for moving to Los Angeles," Faulconer said in a statement Thursday. "This would amount to abandoning generations of loyal Chargers fans. Despite this news, we are going to continue our efforts to develop a viable stadium solution."

Fabiani, who's attempted to find a stadium solution in San Diego for 14 years, said Friday that Faulconer has been dragging his feet.

"The mayor has been in office almost a year and the only thing he has done is announce a task force," Fabiani said. "And when he announced it he said that they'd be able to finish their work in October and then maybe we'll have something on the ballot if we can all agree on it in November 2016. We're sitting here listening to that, thinking, 'Wow, here we are, facing a person who is moving at lightning speeds [Kroenke] in Inglewood and this is a mayor that hasn't done anything for a year.'"

Fabiani said he conveyed the need for a speedy resolution to Faulconer in the wake of Kroenke's move and that any announcement that would push a decision past this year would not bode well for the Chargers remaining in San Diego. When Faulconer mentioned the November 2016 election, the Chargers felt they had no choice but to make alternate plans.

If not for Kroenke, the Chargers would have been content waiting until November 2016, or 2017 and beyond, if the possibility of moving to Los Angeles wasn't suddenly slipping away.

"We have been increasingly forthright in our comments following the move of Stan Kroenke into Inglewood," Fabiani said. "You look almost to the day that that happened to see the shift in our strategy and it was a deliberate shift. It was one that was talked about for hours with [Chargers president and CEO] Dean [Spanos] and his family. We knew it would produce friction with the city but we also knew we had to do it."

Fabiani understands there will be those in San Diego and Oakland who view the circumstances as nothing more than a hollow threat to move in order to get new stadiums built in their markets, and there will be those in Los Angeles who will roll their eyes at another hopelessly doomed stadium proposal after being without an NFL team for 20 years. What's different this time is the X factor in Kroenke.

"There have been so many false starts," Fabiani said. "I think this is an extremely doable deal [in Carson] and I think Stan is proving that in Inglewood. What I would say to people who are skeptical in L.A. is you'd never had teams attached to plans before. You've always had plans but no teams. Now you have three teams attached to two plans. That's a whole different world than has ever existed for the NFL in Los Angeles in the last 20 years."

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been a Ram fan for over 50 years, and I'm not sure I would continue if they moved to London! I think playing games there now is asinine! It's crazy to expect teams to travel that far, it's even crazier to take a home game away from teams like they have been, home field advantage can be a huge game changer!

Obviously I don't like change to begin with, I want my team in one place, it was LA, I can accept them being in St.Louis or moving back to LA, but another new city would suck, glad I wasn't around when they were in Cleveland!