• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hypothetical: Butler to Boston Trade

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I do see happening is the Celtics and Sixers working a deal.

Celtics send the #1, Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley to the Sixers for
#3, Joel Embiid and Dario Saric.

gjx1b.jpg

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson makes sense for Boston given their current roster. They would be silly to not at least look to work the leverage they have at #1 though. If they could flip with #2 or #3 and gain something while still getting Jackson, why wouldn't they make a move ?

What Boston actually needs most is an Elite big, but there aren't really any in this draft, imo. Seems pretty guard and wing heavy for a team that has plenty of them. Even Boston drafting Jackson a year after drafting Brown would seem redundant. Jackson's another very talented athlete who has a shaky jumper. Sounds like a lot of the Celtics roster.

Celtics best course of action is to draft and keep Fultz and hope he pans out. This is a complete luxury pick for the Celtics and they should just draft the BPA and work out the rest later. If they weren't going to trade the pick previously, they won't again now that it's a certainty they have the 1st pick.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,141.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just cause other people think that doesn't mean you're wrong.

Butler and George are proven difference makers on both ends of the floor. Ball and Fultz are complete unknowns.

Celtics are a 50-win team and one of the last four teams alive this season. That's a team that should be adding veterans ready to contribute, not sacrificing the present for an unknown future.

This

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston also has 5 picks in the second round.

Maybe there's a Div. III 6'11" beast who needs a real coach and competition.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,141.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston has 5 picks in the 2nd round.....seriously?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A deal sending Jimmy Butler to Boston seems to make sense for both sides:
The question is: can the Bulls and C's find common ground on the details?

What say you, hoop? What is a "fair" trade between these two teams?
None.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Boston actually needs most is an Elite big, but there aren't really any in this draft, imo. Seems pretty guard and wing heavy for a team that has plenty of them. Even Boston drafting Jackson a year after drafting Brown would seem redundant. Jackson's another very talented athlete who has a shaky jumper. Sounds like a lot of the Celtics roster.

Celtics best course of action is to draft and keep Fultz and hope he pans out. This is a complete luxury pick for the Celtics and they should just draft the BPA and work out the rest later. If they weren't going to trade the pick previously, they won't again now that it's a certainty they have the 1st pick.

Next year's draft will be top heavy with bigs. I think Jackson would be right for Boston this draft.
This is not a luxury pick, it's a critical choice in Boston's attempt to move to Cleveland's level.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Collins for me is hard to project. For me, outside of Fultz and Ball, I think Malik Monk has the best chance of being a true superstar. If I'm the 76ers I would strongly consider him at 3.

Other guys I really like are Bam Adebayo. I think he's Clint Capela 2.0. He's projected in the 20's last I saw, so whoever gets him I think will get a steal.

I agree in regards to Monk. I think he could be a lot like Devon Booker. Maybe not quite the pure shooter, but a little more athletic?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only downside on Collins is the Kings have WCS, Skal, and PapaG there as young bigs already, not that he can't compete with or even pass some of them on the depth chart. SF would make more sense but Isaac, Tatum, and Jackson could all be gone by 10 if they draft Fox. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried to either move up a few spots from 10th to get one of them or trade the pick to somebody who really wants Collins.

That does makes sense. I forgot they drafted PapaG last year. I do think Collins would be a good compliment to both WCS and Skal, but that would be an overload on bigs. Isaac may slip to 10, but out of the 3 you mentioned he is the only one with a slight chance to be available.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wic Grousbec (Celtics Owner) says that the Celtics will NOT trade the #1 pick unless some team "Blows Us Away" with an offer.

Butler.................Chicago had a chance to deal him before the deadline to the Celtics. They got greedy and it went to hell in a heartbeat. Ainge isn't going to revisit another shitstorm.

George...............Openly stated to the media that he will finish out his contract and go home to LA. What don't you understand about that? Home to L.A......nuff said.

Melo...................Celtics have absolutely no interest in an old, selfish shooter who can't play defense and won't mix it up for a rebound.

What I do see happening is the Celtics and Sixers working a deal.

Celtics send the #1, Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley to the Sixers for
#3, Joel Embiid and Dario Saric.

Why the hell would the Sixers make that deal? LOL.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on Collins, he's a typical 10 to 15 guy from what I see.

I may end up being wrong about him, I think I certainly like him more than most people out there. I know this would be an unpopular choice, but I think the Suns would be wise to grab him at #4. Chandler is getting up there in age, and Len hasn't proven to be a worthy starter in the league, at least IMO. But, I also realize one of Tatum or Jackson will more than likely be available at 4 so that'll be hard to pass up.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year's draft will be top heavy with bigs. I think Jackson would be right for Boston this draft.
This is not a luxury pick, it's a critical choice in Boston's attempt to move to Cleveland's level.
I know the C's have plenty of guards, so selecting another G seems redundant...

... but the C's have Crowder and Brown at the SF spot already. Isn't Jackson about as equally redundant?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why they shouldn't trade the pick for Butler.

Fultz, IT, Horford, Hayward makes a really strong core. Adding Butler does not put them on the level of Cleveland or GS, IMO. I think you will see them building with the idea of being good now, but great in 2-3 years. I would rather have Hayward and Fultz than Butler.

100% agree....Butler is what? 28 years old? Trading for him just closes the window a little more on the Celtics, instead of drafting a potential 21 year old Super star and having years and years of possible title contention

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking Sixers-Celts trade then I could see the Sixers making a move for Fultz. Not sure how much moving up two spots would cost and slot trades aren't super common in the NBA but if the Sixers FO thinks Fulz is the difference maker they need then they should make the move. Giving up some assets and giving the Celtics the #3 might also make it more palatable for them to trade that pick for Butler or George.

Of course this assumes that the Sixers really want Fulz and the Celtics are actually interested in trading the pick.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course this assumes that the Sixers really want Fulz and the Celtics are actually interested in trading the pick.
I don't see it happening... Sixers would have to give up Embiid to make it work, and (of course) they are not going to want to do that.

Both teams are known to be "deal winners" too... neither is likely going to accept the losing end of a trade.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it happening... Sixers would have to give up Embiid to make it work, and (of course) they are not going to want to do that.

Both teams are known to be "deal winners" too... neither is likely going to accept the losing end of a trade.

You think the Sixers would need to trade Embiid in order to move up 2 spots in the draft? If that is what the Celtics were demanding then they aren't interested in trading the pick.

Of course I don't think the Sixers would need to include Embiid. They could, theoretically, trade their No. 1 next year or the Lakers no. 1 next year or the Kings No. 1 in 2019 or their own No. 1 in 2019 as well as the No. 3 in this draft.

Personally I don't think the Sixers would even trade one of those No 1 picks. Maybe the 2019.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the Sixers would need to trade Embiid in order to move up 2 spots in the draft? If that is what the Celtics were demanding then they aren't interested in trading the pick.
Yeah, right. I guess what I'm getting at is: from the C's point-of-view, why would they want to do this deal?

Fultz is seen as the top pick in the draft by most. Yeah, the C's have a lot of guards. They also have a glut of SF's. Why move from 1 unless another team wows them?
flyerhawk said:
Of course I don't think the Sixers would need to include Embiid. They could, theoretically, trade their No. 1 next year or the Lakers no. 1 next year or the Kings No. 1 in 2019 or their own No. 1 in 2019 as well as the No. 3 in this draft.

Personally I don't think the Sixers would even trade one of those No 1 picks. Maybe the 2019.
Both the C's and Sixers have a lot of future draft considerations. Would trying to add more future considerations really be something that gets the C's to budge from #1? I highly doubt it.

That's why a deal doesn't get done between these two teams.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics should had pulled the trigger at the deadline. You need superstars to beat LeBron in the playoffs. It's been pretty clear cut for the last decade.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, right. I guess what I'm getting at is: from the C's point-of-view, why would they want to do this deal?

Fultz is seen as the top pick in the draft by most. Yeah, the C's have a lot of guards. They also have a glut of SF's. Why move from 1 unless another team wows them?

Both the C's and Sixers have a lot of future draft considerations. Would trying to add more future considerations really be something that gets the C's to budge from #1? I highly doubt it.

That's why a deal doesn't get done between these two teams.

Well first off I haven't really offered any tangible deal between the Sixers and the Celtics. IF the Sixers wanted Fultz and IF the Celtics were interesting in possibly trading the #1 then I think there are ways that a trade would come through.

IMO, what might make the most sense for the Celts is to trade down, get some assets from the Sixers then trade the #3 to get PG13 or Butler.

The truth is that the Celts don't need Fultz. They DO need a front court presence. Based purely on need they would be better off drafting Josh Jackson than Fultz. So even if we table a secondary trade, would the Celtics be better off drafting Fultz or drafting Josh Jackson and getting a future #1 pick?