• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hypothetical: Butler to Boston Trade

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is strictly hypothetical, but could very well become reality.

A deal sending Jimmy Butler to Boston seems to make sense for both sides:

• Boston needs a true "star" player if they want to make a run at a title with the current core of IT and Horford.
  • Chicago is going nowhere fast and could use a reboot... what better way to start than with the #1 overall pick in the upcoming draft?

My question to y'all is: what parts need to be thrown together to make this potential trade match become a reality? Obviously, the C's would need to throw in the #1 pick they just got slotted for... but what else needs to be added in from either side in order to gain agreement from both parties?

Here are the potential additional trade pieces from the C's point-of-view:

• Avery Bradley - UFA in 2018-2019 season. Has blossomed into one of the better 2-way SG's in the league. Does have past history of injuries. The C's can only carry so many wings, right?
  • Amir Johnson - Contract expires at the end of this season. Not sure if that still makes him a possible pawn in a trade scenario or not. Could be included for salary matching purposes.
  • Jae Crowder - Locked up in a team-friendly contract through 2019-2020. Tough, leader, 3+D, glue guy. It was rumored that he was a sticking point in prior trade talks... the Bulls wanted him, the C's were reluctant to give him up.
  • Marcus Smart - versatile, rugged defender whose value goes beyond traditional metrics. Still on rookie contract pay scale.
  • Jaylon Brown - Youngster with gobs of potential. Still on rookie pay scale. Developed nicely his rookie season. The C's can only carry so many wings, right?
  • Terry Rozier - developing PG with 2-way potential. Looks to be a player in this league. Still on rookie contract pay scale.
  • Kelly Olynyk - finesse 7 footer who shoots/passes well... but rebounds terribly. Dominates game sevens in the playoffs. ( :D )
  • Future draft considerations - The C's are still sticking it to the Nets... owning their first rounder next year as well. I don't think the C's would give up both this years and next years... but it is a chip that is potentially at play.
The question is: can the Bulls and C's find common ground on the details?

What say you, hoop? What is a "fair" trade between these two teams?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do it for a package of Brown, Rozier, this year's #1 pick and Zizic. Would that be too much for the Celtics? If I'm the Bulls, I wouldn't really want Bradley or Crowder as those guys have already reached their potential and could never be what Butler has become. Brown still has a ton of room to grow potentially, but he could also not pan out, same with the #1 pick(although that's unlikely) and Zizic. The Bulls would be basing this on hypothetical on potential but even if 2 of the 3(Brown, #1 pick, Zizic) panned out it would be worth it, and you could still keep the core of the Celtics together.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was boston I would do everything I could to try to turn that #1 pick into either Jimmy Butler or Paul George.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was boston I would do everything I could to try to turn that #1 pick into either Jimmy Butler or Paul George.
I focused on Butler because, by many reports, PG has his heart and mind set on the Lakers.

But if he'll re-up to a long contract with Boston... sure, that would be great too.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think their best move is to try like hell to convince Hayward to sign as a FA in Boston, and keep the picks. They will instantly become the favorites in the East by 2019-2020 when you would have to assume Lebron starts to decline.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout Carmello and Porzingas to the C's for the #1?

(Obviously Porzingas the gem of the trade)

The Knicks could start a true re-build with 2 lottery picks, and the C's can get a pure scorer for 2 years, and a 20 year old who averaged 18 and 7 already

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their best move is to try like hell to convince Hayward to sign as a FA in Boston, and keep the picks. They will instantly become the favorites in the East by 2019-2020 when you would have to assume Lebron starts to decline.
^ Good point. This, of course, is a viable option for Boston... the C's don't "need" to make a move, esp if they get Hayward.

Arguably, a team like Chicago does.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout Carmello and Porzingas to the C's for the #1
Would the Knicks really trade away Porzingis?

I thought New Yorkers were naming their first born sons "Kristaps" in droves?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hayward to Boston seems like the worst kept secret in the NBA......Him and Brad Stevens have a bromance going, makes so much sense

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the Knicks really trade away Porzingis?

I thought New Yorkers were naming their first born sons "Kristaps" in droves?

LOL....Theres a little shine wearing off.......He's been outspoken against Phil (he's right of course) and there is a belief around him that he is not a star you build around, he is more likely the 2nd or 3rd best player on a good team

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I focused on Butler because, by many reports, PG has his heart and mind set on the Lakers.

But if he'll re-up to a long contract with Boston... sure, that would be great too.

Yeah, if I'm the Celtics, the only way I make a trade for PG-13 is if signing an extension is part of the deal.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayward to Boston seems like the worst kept secret in the NBA......Him and Brad Stevens have a bromance going, makes so much sense

People say that, but let's not forget the Celts have Horford over OKC, who Horford won not one but TWO titles for in college.

So i'm not as confident about this as others are.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....Theres a little shine wearing off.......He's been outspoken against Phil (he's right of course) and there is a belief around him that he is not a star you build around, he is more likely the 2nd or 3rd best player on a good team

Zinger for IT2 plus.......

Come on Danny....get this done. Take a bad contract if you have to.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zinger for IT2 plus.......

Come on Danny....get this done. Take a bad contract if you have to.

I would only do it for the #1, and include Carmello

But Phil is awful, so he probably wouldnt do what I would do

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People say that, but let's not forget the Celts have Horford over OKC, who Horford won not one but TWO titles for in college.

So i'm not as confident about this as others are.

Good point.......I cant speak to Hortford and Donovans' relationship, but Im pretty sure Hayward and Stevens are really tight, and if Im Hayward, id want to join a team on the verge like the Celtics

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way, no how that I would ever trade this pick for Jimmy Butler. The Bulls blew their chance and thank god it did not turn out this way. Their may only be two or three players I would consider, starting with the big guy in New Orleans. I would give next years pick and Rozier, but that is it.

This #1 slot changes everything

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way, no how that I would ever trade this pick for Jimmy Butler. The Bulls blew their chance and thank god it did not turn out this way. Their may only be two or three players I would consider, starting with the big guy in New Orleans. I would give next years pick and Rozier, but that is it.

This #1 slot changes everything
Looks like you may be right, LM.

Doing my morning reading... the consensus opinion seems to be that the C's would not consider this years #1 in any trade scenario for names like Butler and George.

Interesting. I may have to recalibrate my thinking.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this interesting tweet:

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like you may be right, LM.

Doing my morning reading... the consensus opinion seems to be that the C's would not consider this years #1 in any trade scenario for names like Butler and George.

Interesting. I may have to recalibrate my thinking.

well they do call me the "logicman" :L