• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade deadline thread 2023

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me baseball is just a weird sport sometimes. If someone would have said back when Ohtani wanted to come play in the states that he would become a legendary lifetime player, everyone would think that man if you pair him up with Mike Trout who is an all time generational talent as well that they would dominate. fast forward they can't make the playoffs and in some cases fall below .500.

I have been a big believer that signing expensive players to massive contracts isnt worth the risk. If you can try to develop your own through the draft or acquire players through trade while they are young and develop and spend your cap space to keep them on your team.
I get your philosophy and that is ideal but the Mariners aren’t ever going to be in that situation. Kyle Lewis and Evan White becoming what they became made that philosophy impossible for the Mariners to be World Series contenders unless they pony up.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your philosophy and that is ideal but the Mariners aren’t ever going to be in that situation. Kyle Lewis and Evan White becoming what they became made that philosophy impossible for the Mariners to be World Series contenders unless they pony up.
They would have to can the entire scouting department and look at Tampa's organization and take all their guys who are next in line to move up the ladder. Granted they haven't won a title but they put themselves in a position every year to do so.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have to can the entire scouting department and look at Tampa's organization and take all their guys who are next in line to move up the ladder. Granted they haven't won a title but they put themselves in a position every year to do so.
Well a big thing is luck like what made the Astros cause they found the runt and he became a star and they had all if those top 5 picks. Problem with ever trying to build straight through the farm system is as odd as it seems, Mariners weren’t bad long enough. When the Astros and Braves had their crop of top prospects make the big leagues the team became great and won World Series. Both were bad long enough they could easily let a top star walk in FA. Jerry can’t even move JP to 2B let alone walk

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how did Cano, or Cano's contract, negatively affect this organization? I never understood that statement by people.

What he says makes perfect sense and is actually the best outcome for a contract for the Mariners. With that said, they won't offer that money. They could sign 5 past their prime batters (I don't use the word hitters) at that per year salary...
Personally I think the Cano situation ended up optimal for us. We unloaded his contract and got something for him in return. The years he was being paid $24m a year, he was playing at a level that justified the pay. I don't know why that should scare anyone. If he didn't get caught taking PEDs, he would be in the conversation for greatest 2B of all-time. Just shows he's an idiot. If you care enough, you can find ways to pass a piss test. It's incredibly easy if you have at least 24 hours notice.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Crawford...ss.L/L
2julio.. cF
3suarez...3b
4canzone...LF..L/L
5.france. .1b.
6.herbandez..rf
7rojas..L/L..
8.raliegh..catch
9cabalero..2b

Bench .
Murphy .
Moore..
Marlowe.
Haggerty..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With kelenic..

1crawford..ss .L/L.
2 Julio ....cf
3.suarez....3b
4kelenic..LF..L/L.
5france....1b
6 Hernandez ..rf guriel jr..
7.raliegh..catch
8.rojas...DH.L/L
9 cabellero.2b.

Bench..
Murphy ...catch
Moore ...utility .R/R
Canzone,..of..L/L.of dh.pr
Marlowe.,..of.L/L..cf..pr

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agents
Gurriel jr...RF .does not strike out that much

Snell..L/L.LHP.best era

Yuki Matsui....L/L...close..Japan free splitter....slider..curve.
And an attempt to make Munoz .better..
Double close..is ok.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bull pen

Munoz..
Matsui.

Topa

Brash..
Woo.
Murphee.
Campbell.

Suasedo.
Speier..

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll give you that point in Kyle Lewis and Evan White but I can also argue in your philosophy that spending money and huge payrolls doesn't translate to wins either.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you that point in Kyle Lewis and Evan White but I can also argue in your philosophy that spending money and huge payrolls doesn't translate to wins either.
I’m not, nor have ever advocated for having a huge payrolls or just buying FA’s like Mets or Angels. I have also advocated for the Mariners to act like the Steinbrennerless Yankees of the early 90’s. Build a core and supplement it but don’t put a firm cap on it. The Mariners have a better core than those Yankees did but they refuse to supplement it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how did Cano, or Cano's contract, negatively affect this organization? I never understood that statement by people.

What he says makes perfect sense and is actually the best outcome for a contract for the Mariners. With that said, they won't offer that money. They could sign 5 past their prime batters (I don't use the word hitters) at that per year salary...
The Cano thing is funny though. We all acknowledge that Cruz wouldn’t have came to Seattle without Cano signing first right? Cano’s contract was a massive overpay but Cruz’ was team friendly. So you put them together and it wasn’t bad. The Mariners have locked up Castillo and Julio to (IMO) very team friendly deals. They have the ability to overpay for a few guys. Plus

it is a myth these contracts hamper teams for a long time. You can trade out of them just like the Mariners did with Cano or restructure them like the Reds did with Griffey or Mets did with Bonilla. The only real reason the myth started was because ARod but the owner going bankrupt and having to sell the team had nothing to do with him.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not, nor have ever advocated for having a huge payrolls or just buying FA’s like Mets or Angels. I have also advocated for the Mariners to act like the Steinbrennerless Yankees of the early 90’s. Build a core and supplement it but don’t put a firm cap on it. The Mariners have a better core than those Yankees did but they refuse to supplement it.

Well then I misunderstood when it was insinuated that we should trade away our prospects to get Juan Soto and pay him a mega contract. While I have just been stating that this man has been on two teams putting up numbers and on both teams and both teams are trying to get rid of him and so far what Jerry has been doing has produced nothing but winning seasons and a run in the playoffs.

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then I misunderstood when it was insinuated that we should trade away our prospects to get Juan Soto and pay him a mega contract. While I have just been stating that this man has been on two teams putting up numbers and on both teams and both teams are trying to get rid of him and so far what Jerry has been doing has produced nothing but winning seasons and a run in the playoffs.
It not .soto.....as much as .the teams..
He has been on..
Nationals .and .San Diego...
Soto was a good acquisition for them ..
Just..
San diegos..pitching is not the greatest.
And that is the whole San Diego.
Problem .
But ..yeah..mariners are..doing..better .
With..
Marlowe..hitting..293..
Caballero....hitting .237..
Rojas ....know .a...207..

These guys have made.a lot of diff..
Compared .to.
Pollock..and .
Wong ..

Who I think can make a big diff..
Laurdes..Gurriel .jr ..
Cuz he hits for ave .and as maney hrs..
As Hernandez .

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until today..when Julio went.5 for 5.
Julio.has been hitting more like a rf.
Guy..
The team.only needs 1.of thoughts.
Types of guys..
So mariners have .Hernandez .and Julio..
Hitting like that .
So that has Been..a problem... But not.
Today..
Julio..rocked today..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell me about my flag ...
Take yo.
Boot.rocker.. back..wherever .it came .from...before..it came to my land..

Ingrate.. .!!!!!!

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So for me...
Canzone is in that bit of kelenic .
Area of last year .where. He is really good..
At AAA .
But...not as at..mlb..yet ..he is still.
Good..
But I think we are looking at next year
Before .we really see him take off .

And that would be the dilemma..for me.
Going forward this year..

Ford or canzone ....after kelenic comes back........

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is your .soto trade...
But I don't. Like it ...I'll show you why next..

Sandiego...
Kelenic ...LF.14.
Gonzales.of..12..
Campbell .rrp..2.1.

Mariners..
Soto..29..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys who don't strike out....Houston..

Mauricio..dubon..2b..53.so..372 at bats.

Kyle tucker.........rf...441.at bats. 63.strike outs..

Alex bregman...3b... 466 at bats..71 strike outs...

That is on the 1st page .
Of upside down. Strike outs of qualified .batters..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuz of that .up there .I really want a guy who does not strike out much ...
That guy...
Is .
Lourdes gurriel jr .LF/RF ...
Free agent..2024.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strike outs..mariners..

Toescare ..Hernandez..464 at bats..153 strike outs..

Julio..Rodriguez...499..at bats ..137 strike outs..

Eugenio. Suarez..445 at bats..158..strike outs.

1st page.of qualified..baters .right side up..