• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies are not guaranteed,
Feel the same. Especially since we're still waiting for our last 2 first rounders to be more consistent.

I remember a decade-long study that looked at rookies. The number from that study that stood out to me was that only 8% of drafted rookies are better than the replacement value. Mathematically, that's less than 20 players in any given draft.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies are not guaranteed,we all know what Sweat is,a very good player that we can atleast count on(as long as he signs,which I think he will).......
Ill take that trade.......
I'm sorry Wood, I like you. But... how is it possible that someone could even type something like this and think it's smart?

Since when are veteran trades/signings guaranteed? We literally JUST DID THIS with Chase Claypool. Jesus.

Sweat will also be 28 next year and it's totally possible his best days are behind him.

You also pay a TON to veteran players like Sweat. Where as building through the draft gives you flexibility. There's a reason successful organizations don't do shit like this very often, if ever.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel the same. Especially since we're still waiting for our last 2 first rounders to be more consistent.

I remember a decade-long study that looked at rookies. The number from that study that stood out to me was that only 8% of drafted rookies are better than the replacement value. Mathematically, that's less than 20 players in any given draft.
Oh my god...

This board. Did you guys start watching this league yesterday? Jesus.

You're right, guys. You don't build through the draft and youth. You spend high draft capital repeatedly and big chunks of your cap space mid-season for veterans. That's how champions are built.

I'm going BSGenius mode here. You all sound like you're doing this for the first time.

What does that statistic even mean to you? I am curious. How many high priced free agents closing in on 30 wind up being "worth it"?

This team has paid a LAUNDRY list of pass rusher Sweat's age or older only to see them fizzle out. Out of every franchise, we should know better.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my god...

You're right, guys. You don't build through the draft and youth. You spend high draft capital repeatedly and big chunks of your cap space mid-season for veterans. That's how champions are built.

I'm going BSGenius mode here. You all sound like you're doing this for the first time.

What does that statistic even mean to you? I am curious. How many high priced free agents closing in on 30 wind up being "worth it"?

This team has paid a LAUNDRY list of pass rusher Sweat's age or older only to see them fizzle out. Out of every franchise, we should know better.
The Claypool move and this one both stem from the same issue. The position group we were/are attempting to improve is horrible. It’s obvious they were both moves of desperation rather than being proactive. We’re screwing up. Just hoping now we actually keep Sweat and get some production out of him because what is done is done.

Last edited:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Claypool move and this one both stem from the same issue. The position group we were/are attempting to improve is horrible. It’s obvious they were both moves of desperation rather than being proactive. We’re screwing up. Just hoping now we actually keep Sweat and get some production out of him because what is done is done.
Pssst, just don't say the word 'if'.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my god...

Settle down. Sweat's in his prime. He is a stud. We still have a fuck ton of money and two first round picks coming. Plenty of capital to regain that second like it never left.

D-line is by far the biggest weakness on the team. This will work out fine.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry Wood, I like you. But... how is it possible that someone could even type something like this and think it's smart?

Since when are veteran trades/signings guaranteed? We literally JUST DID THIS with Chase Claypool. Jesus.

Sweat will also be 28 next year and it's totally possible his best days are behind him.

You also pay a TON to veteran players like Sweat. Where as building through the draft gives you flexibility. There's a reason successful organizations don't do shit like this very often, if ever.

Lol......youre an alright cat yourself.

Its a damn if we do,damn if we dont with us Bear fans.......we bitch cause we havs no dlineman and then when we get a decent one,then noooo we paid way too much.
Sweat wont be Clapool 2.0,hes been around a few years now,and hes been pretty much healthy and very reliable......I dont think he will break the bank by any means,but he will get a pay raise desrvedly so.......
Was a 2nd overpaying,yes,but,word on the street the dlineman pool in this years draft is a little thin,so Im guess Bears brass also did their due diligence on this before the trade happened.......
Am I 100% satisfied,not really,but only cause I think a 3rd sounded better......but we did just get better......

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys start watching this league yesterday?
Name some Bears that are worth keeping and bet most of them have been traded for or signed in free agency.

Arent you the same one who has had it with Fields (drafted)?

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montez Sweat and Bears finalizing 4y 98M contract

Well that just made him 2nd highest paid dlineman behind Aaron Donald at 31 and ahead of Quinnen Williams at 24........

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad we got this Sweat extension behind us. The contract is pretty much what was expected based on recent signings.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are making him the 3rd highest paid DE in football and he’s never had a double digit sack season.

Seems steep now but will likely look like an average contract a couple seasons from now.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are making him the 3rd highest paid DE in football and he’s never had a double digit sack season.

I mean...Would I have waited for the offseason and draft of 2024 rather than traded for Montez Sweat? Yes. But what's done is done. At this point our chips are in on this guy, so we ride him for 3-4 years. It's the only way the trade makes sense.

We'll find out soon enough how much it impacts our overall pass rush.

Certain Bears fans keep thinking Poles is not on some sort of hot seat. I forget who thought the Sweat move was an indication that he was sitting pretty. I think the opposite. He absolutely is on the hot seat. We're horrendous. This move is desperation. It better work for his sake.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems steep now but will likely look like an average contract a couple seasons from now.
Both good points, and I agree that in a couple of years the contract will look almost ho-hum.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still paying a premium for a guy that’s basically gonna give you the same production Khalil Mack was giving and I seem to remember someone arguing that you don’t fill your tank up with premium gas or something ridiculous.

You’re paying 15+ sack money for 9 sacks.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still paying a premium for a guy that’s basically gonna give you the same production Khalil Mack was giving and I seem to remember someone arguing that you don’t fill your tank up with premium gas or something ridiculous.

What I wrote was the exact same quote you left for someone else in the Kmet signing.......

Thanks for playing.......

Cant have your cake and eat it to......

I just used your own words against you:

If he continues to produce touchdowns I really don’t have an issue with it. If he produces 7+ touchdowns season moving forward then maybe the contract is a bargain.

My problem with Kmet is his route tree is limited. He’s not great at tracking the ball down the field. He’s more Kyle Rudolph when too many Bears fans thought he was gonna be Kelce.

Things that I do like about Kmet. He’s tough. He can gets yards after the catch. He’s definitely improved as a blocker since entering the league and he’s no doubt improved overall. I like his attitude and I like that his teammates like him.

In an offense with Moore, Mooney, and Claypool along with a good backfield…Kmet should have an impact just because defenses will lose sight of him at times.

There are very few great tight ends currently in the league. The Bears having two very capable guys in Kmet and Tonyan is great.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has 6.5 at the halfway mark. He's already the best player on our front 4 and arguably the front 7, save for Edwards maybe.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I wrote was the exact same quote you left for someone else in the Kmet signing.......
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Bravo! Grey pubes is SO stupid. It’s sad.