• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How do you like your burger and steak done?

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked at Baskin Robbins... and saw an employee spit in an icecream cake.
FIFY

My god woman! How long does it take to get the point?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flavor is cooked out. Most cuts of beef will taste the same, and have the same texture when cooked well done. This pretty much eliminates the whole reason to go for a prime cut.

I do know that if you order a medium-well or well done steak at a fine steakhouse, they will typically select a lesser cut if they have one. I'm not saying they're going to serve horse meat - it will still be a high quality steak - but if we go into a place and I order a Pittsburgh rare filet, and you ask for a well done filet, they're going to give me the better cut. It just makes sense.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer ribeye cooked well done.

I don't go that far, but I do like my ribeyes cooked a little more than a filet - maybe medium rare plus. I want that fat to have a nice crusty sear on it.

Damn. I had a salad for lunch and this thread is making me hungry.

kobesgame

Fucking C**t Lawyer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad won't eat a steak unless it is well done. Drives me bonkers. I'll take him out to a nice steak place and he'll order a good cut well done. I can almost see the chefs slapping their foreheads.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen people eat theirs still cold in the middle and not even all the way brown on the outside.

I love steak tartare and that's totally uncooked. There's a great local chef/restaurant that makes amazing steak tartare. It's not on the menu, but he'll make it if you ask. Once in a while, Mrs Redfoot and I will sit at the bar and order it. Sometimes other folks at the bar will get freaked out.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steaks are hot and quick med-rare for me, burnt for the wife :doh:

I grind my own burger so med-rare for me, and burnt for the wife :doh:

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love steak tartare and that's totally uncooked. There's a great local chef/restaurant that makes amazing steak tartare. It's not on the menu, but he'll make it if you ask. Once in a while, Mrs Redfoot and I will sit at the bar and order it. Sometimes other folks at the bar will get freaked out.

I was asked to 'cook' some like that when I was 17 and couldn't believe people would eat it that way.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. If I'm only cooking for a couple people, I've started doing them in cast iron. I let the empty pan pre-heat to 450 in the oven, then I throw it on a burner on high for about 10 minutes. They get such a tasty crust on them it's ridiculous.

I really like my cast iron pans. I have four ... all different sizes.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sort of new to working with cast iron. Been at it for a little over a year, but they're amazing.

I still love using my grill (particularly because it's easy-clean), but I think I prefer my steaks and burgers from cast iron.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFY

My god woman! How long does it take to get the point?
What do you mean? I was telling you a short anecdote about a time when i was an impressionable youth. It was a turning point in my life. I was only there for the summer, but I remember the incident so clearly. It was a hot July day, not unlike today. I learned that day how spiteful and mean people could be, even if their ire was misdirected. Debbie never did anything to April. It should've been up to Tara to exact her revenge. I mean- how could you not agree with this? It's an indictment of the evil society we live in today. But maybe April was also upset about our ugly uniforms. Pink & brown. Blech. And we had to wear stupid hats. It was terrible. But at least it wasn't the Hot Dog on a Stick uniforms. Those things are awful. And then you have to stand there, smashing lemons or whatever they are doing, looking like a moron in front of everyone at the mall! I was at the mall yesterday and it was just so crowded! It was really annoying. Probably they way Debbie annoyed April.

:heh:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sort of new to working with cast iron. Been at it for a little over a year, but they're amazing.

I still love using my grill (particularly because it's easy-clean), but I think I prefer my steaks and burgers from cast iron.

I use the grill for steaks....almost always. And when I feel fancy...and have the time, I break out the charcoal. For me a grill provides a better taste to meat.

I use the cast iron when I want something browned or blackened cause they really put a good char on the outside of meat. Burgers do well in a cast iron pan. Fish too.

As far as cleaning, I just add water to the pan and heat it up, using a spatula to scrape the bits off. Then wipe it down with a paper towel. Then I wipe in a spritz of olive oil to keep it seasoned.

I never use dish soap on my cast iron pans.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I tried cooking a steak on the cast iron, thought the fire department was going to show up.

and I have a hard time not using soap to clean them.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean? I was telling you a short anecdote about a time when i was an impressionable youth. It was a turning point in my life. I was only there for the summer, but I remember the incident so clearly. It was a hot July day, not unlike today. I learned that day how spiteful and mean people could be, even if their ire was misdirected. Debbie never did anything to April. It should've been up to Tara to exact her revenge. I mean- how could you not agree with this? It's an indictment of the evil society we live in today. But maybe April was also upset about our ugly uniforms. Pink & brown. Blech. And we had to wear stupid hats. It was terrible. But at least it wasn't the Hot Dog on a Stick uniforms. Those things are awful. And then you have to stand there, smashing lemons or whatever they are doing, looking like a moron in front of everyone at the mall! I was at the mall yesterday and it was just so crowded! It was really annoying. Probably they way Debbie annoyed April.

:heh:

tldnr. Ain't listening to it either.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried cooking a steak on the cast iron, thought the fire department was going to show up.

and I have a hard time not using soap to clean them.

I know...it sounds gross, but a soap flavor can get into a cast iron pan.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know...it sounds gross, but a soap flavor can get into a cast iron pan.

if my son is over for dinner, he'll threaten to beat me if I use soap..so I make him clean them.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use the grill for steaks....almost always. And when I feel fancy...and have the time, I break out the charcoal. For me a grill provides a better taste to meat.

I use the cast iron when I want something browned or blackened cause they really put a good char on the outside of meat. Burgers do well in a cast iron pan. Fish too.

Yeah, the blackened is what I go for. Ideally, I like my filets Pittsburgh rare, which has a kind of blackened crust, and then rare in the middle. It's hard to do properly at home because you need to get the pan hotter than hades.

Next time I try it, I'm going to take the steak straight from the fridge to the pan, hoping that the cold steak will give me a few extra moments to sear the sides while leaving the center rare.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as cleaning, I just add water to the pan and heat it up, using a spatula to scrape the bits off. Then wipe it down with a paper towel. Then I wipe in a spritz of olive oil to keep it seasoned.

I never use dish soap on my cast iron pans.

Same here. I've also found you can often clean them up with out heating them if you clean them right after you eat so they're still warm.

I made the mistake of letting one sit overnight once. Total pain in the ass to clean.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time not using soap to clean them.

Because it's a pan, a lot of people think this way, but I don't know any seasoned cooks that use soap on cast iron.

Think of it this way - do you use soap to clean your grill grates?