• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Good start

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well game 1 out of the way. I'm glad to get the banner night out of the way, now we can get to it.

Not too happy giving up 3 power play goals, PK has to be better. But overall I'm obviously happy with the win.

Any thoughts on the game tonight? Crawford made some big saves when he had to.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the game but based on the box scores it seems like it was a fun game to watch. Really hard to stay focused when you get your rings & raise a banner but I guess the Blackhawks have been thru this before so they didn't get distracted. Will have to check the highlights on NHL tonight. Nice knowing hockey is back.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, a win is a win. Not necessarily all that pretty, but a fun wide open hockey game on both sides.

Hawks penalty killing was putrid. Not only did the Caps score three, but they controlled the puck for the entire time until they scored on all three goals.

But, as the Hawks have done in the past, when they are down in the third period they seem to find yet another gear to shift into and get the job done.

I'm wondering...what was the Las Vegas line on Brandon Bollig scoring the first Hawks goal of the season? Congrats to him.

Offensively the Hawks seemed to be in control all night long. They really could have scored nine or 10 goals tonight. Sharp missed on a breakaway. Kane had Holtby all but beaten but couldn't tuck it home. Hossa with a point blank chance or two or three.

But lots of firepower all the way around for the Hawks. Bollig, Kane, Seabrook (power play goal), Saad (on a sensational pass from Handzus), Oduya (on the "soft goal" of the night award) and the breakaway phantom empty netter by Hossa.

Defensively, aside from the penalty killing, I thought the Hawks were pretty good for a first game. A bad pinch by Keith led to the first Grabovski goal. But pretty good the rest of the way.

Highlight of the game was the Hawks killing a 5 on 3 for about 1:20 very late in the third period and a 5-4 for the remainder :30. Crawford was outstanding during that time making two unbelievable saves that I have no idea how he stopped them. Crow back on top again. Think what you may with the 4 GA, Crawford was the difference in the game.

Well, one win down...81 more to go.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the game but based on the box scores it seems like it was a fun game to watch. Really hard to stay focused when you get your rings & raise a banner but I guess the Blackhawks have been thru this before so they didn't get distracted. Will have to check the highlights on NHL tonight. Nice knowing hockey is back.

It's great having hockey back after another wasted baseball season.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, as the Hawks have done in the past, when they are down in the third period they seem to find yet another gear to shift into and get the job done.

I'm wondering...what was the Las Vegas line on Brandon Bollig scoring the first Hawks goal of the season? Congrats to him.

But lots of firepower all the way around for the Hawks. Bollig, Kane, Seabrook (power play goal), Saad (on a sensational pass from Handzus), Oduya (on the "soft goal" of the night award) and the breakaway phantom empty netter by Hossa.

Highlight of the game was the Hawks killing a 5 on 3 for about 1:20 very late in the third period and a 5-4 for the remainder :30. Crawford was outstanding during that time making two unbelievable saves that I have no idea how he stopped them. Crow back on top again. Think what you may with the 4 GA, Crawford was the difference in the game.

Well, one win down...81 more to go.

First, I'm glad to see Bollig drill one.

Second, you're right, we always find a way to win late in games. That's what happens when you have a team with such great chemistry, and the knowing of what it takes to win.

Firepower, we know is going to be here all season, specially if Kane is really as good as Pierre was saying he's going to be this season.

Finally, I agree with the Crawford statement. That final 2 minutes or so he was amazing. Made the stops when he needed to.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up 4 goals on your ice isn't something to be proud of. But the PP D did their job when they had to. That 5 on 3 had me worried.
The new guys looked a little shaky, but what the hell, it was a big night for them.
Good start.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving up 4 goals on your ice isn't something to be proud of. But the PP D did their job when they had to. That 5 on 3 had me worried.
The new guys looked a little shaky, but what the hell, it was a big night for them.
Good start.

Anytime you can get a win on a banner raising night, is always good. And a win in the first game of the season, excellent.

But yeah I'm not happy about the 4 goals, I'm hoping it was just first game jitters and kinks.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you can get a win on a banner raising night, is always good. And a win in the first game of the season, excellent.

But yeah I'm not happy about the 4 goals, I'm hoping it was just first game jitters and kinks.

Well, after further review, Grabovski awarded two more of those power play goals. Crawford with no chance on three of the four goals. Ovechkin's one timer on the power play wide open, then Grabovski with two tips of a Mike Green shot. Not Crawford's fault.

What is dismaying is that the Caps just kept possession during the entire power play times, including the 5 on 3 and 5 on 4 late. The Hawks couldn't win a faceoff, couldn't get control of the puck and couldn't put any pressure on the Caps up high. Hawks on their heels the entire time.

I'm sure Q and Kitchen will be hard at work at practice tomorrow working on things on the penalty kill. If it doesn't improve soon, look for Nordstrom to be sent back to Rockford and Ben Smith taking over.

The only solace at all about the penalty kill is that they DID face the best power play team last year. It's not like the Caps are a bunch of slouches.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks couldn't win a faceoff,

This is problem #1.

If I remember correctly, we had serious problems winning faceoffs last season, which is why we brought in Handzus isn't it?

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes we brought in Handzus to be our number 2 center right where I thought he would. He is not a 3rd or 4th line center.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, giving up 4 goals isn't a good thing, but they did do a good job of answering whenever they got scored on. They were also able to make a great defensive stand when the Capitals when on that 5 on 3 power play. Green, Ovechkin, & Fehr all had good looks but Hjalmarsson & Crawford wouldn't have any of that. Always room for improvement after your 1st game anyway.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, other than the PK the Hawks looked solid. As to the PK, someone mentioned the inability to win a face-off. That was my concern with having Kruger and Nordstrom as the primary penalty killers - neither is particularly good at face-offs.

Overall though, great start!!

I was surprised Ben Smith was the one scratched.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems we have watched the banner raised over the past two or three seasons as the competiton and spoiled the party. I was really pleased with this effort on this emotional night. Especially those kids holding the banner with the team, wow. I was still at work and listening on the radio and it was goosebumps.

I was more surprised with Washingtons speed game. There was a ton of room on the ice these teams were flying around so much. Not really expected from the bruiser east. Corey crawford after he gave up that goal in the third had me worried. Somehow he was able to skate over to the bench, get some special drink, maybe feeling flu symptoms or something and Khabi was stretching at that point. But he stuck it out and made some huge saves.

That second period shooting gallery when it seemed the caps were in our zone the entire first half of the period was amazing, yet they were only credited with 8 shots? Seemed like 30. I even saw the hawks with a few hard checks which was a bonus, although Bollig going after Brouwer seemed a little unnecessary.

give alot of credit to that washington goalie too, Kaner was shooting with some velocity. Holtby was under seige and just giving up 5 seemed huge, although Oduya's game winner was really a fluke.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks actually won the faceoff battle 31-29. Didn't seem like it.

Corey didn't have the flu. Cramping in his leg due to dehydration. Getting tons of Gatorade after that, but he toughed it out.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks actually won the faceoff battle 31-29. Didn't seem like it.

Yeah, I saw that. Perhaps it was more that they seemed to lose most of the KEY faceoffs.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I saw that. Perhaps it was more that they seemed to lose most of the KEY faceoffs.

It sure seemed like there was a change in linesmen dropping the puck. Well, it was much different than the playoffs where the linesmen seemed to make it all about them. Saw alot of movement with Hawks centers skating forward as the puck was falling which would have gotten them thrown out last season. Seemed like a better effort supporting to gain possession too.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not too happy giving up 3 power play goals, PK has to be better.

Hawks penalty killing was putrid. Not only did the Caps score three, but they controlled the puck for the entire time until they scored on all three goals.

I guess what bothers me about the PK is the fact that the killers were STANDING STILL while the Caps moved the puck. I miss last year's PK where Frolik and Stalberg skated their butts off creating havoc so the other team couldn't get settled in the zone. Sure we lost Frolik but why change from that scheme? Especially since it was successful!?

The only other thing that surprised me is having Joakim Nordstrom out there in the final minutes of the game. Yes, he did get a delay of game penalty. But the final minutes of games have not been that great for the Hawks (save for game 6 vs the Bruins). Q must have a lot of confidence in Nordstrom to have him out there with 3-and-half minutes left.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, its a small sample size against the best power play in the league last year. So we'll see if things improve in the next 5-6 games.

But I agree. Standing still packed in down low won't work. They need to create some pressure and havoc on top.

On the flip side, the Hawks could learn a thing or two from the Caps on setting up and controlling a power play.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, its a small sample size against the best power play in the league last year. So we'll see if things improve in the next 5-6 games.

But I agree. Standing still packed in down low won't work. They need to create some pressure and havoc on top.

On the flip side, the Hawks could learn a thing or two from the Caps on setting up and controlling a power play.

Having Ovenchkin will make any power play quite a bit better.

But I do agree that we lack puck control on our man advantages. And this shocks the hell out of me with all the damn skill players we have. Maybe time for a new scheme.

But like you said, can't start panicking after just one game. Let's watch a couple weeks and see what happens.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having Ovenchkin will make any power play quite a bit better.

But I do agree that we lack puck control on our man advantages. And this shocks the hell out of me with all the damn skill players we have. Maybe time for a new scheme.

But like you said, can't start panicking after just one game. Let's watch a couple weeks and see what happens.

I have to admit it...Ovechkin's a beast. The guy has an unbelievable and accurate shot, although Crow stoned him about three times in the game point blank.

Let's put it this way...I'd take him on my team any day.