• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree: QBs have way more longevity than RBs (and pretty much everyone else). I didn't mention anything about Brady, but we have seen many QBs play just fine into their late 30s over the last couple decades. Geno is ~5 months older than Derek Carr and ~1 year older than Jimmy G.
we have seen all time greats play into their late 30s, for the average guy 35 is the point of no return.
A 5 year deal can easily be structured to effectively be a 3 year deal, when Geno would start the season at 35 years old.
that would most likely be his last season as a starter.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have seen all time greats play into their late 30s, for the average guy 35 is the point of no return.

that would most likely be his last season as a starter.

I think best case would be Geno having about 5 more effective years. But I do agree that is that he will probably have about 3 years of his current play.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Making a subjective statement and then calling it fact isn't helping your argument.

What are you defining as a mediocre game? Which QBs do you think outplayed him this year? If you think that Geno had more mediocre games than good games that would imply that he was no better than a middle of the pack QB this year.
What is a great game and what is a mediocre game? It is subjective, like beauty it's in the eye of the beholder. 300 yards and multiple TDs is a great game, 200ish yards and a TD is more of a mediocre game in my eyes, heck 200 yards is done by dozen or two QBs per week. Turnovers make a difference and Geno had 15 which is high.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is a great game and what is a mediocre game? It is subjective, like beauty it's in the eye of the beholder. 300 yards and multiple TDs is a great game, 200ish yards and a TD is more of a mediocre game in my eyes, heck 200 yards is done by dozen or two QBs per week. Turnovers make a difference and Geno had 15 which is high.

Geno had 11 picks and 2 fumbles so I'm not sure where you are getting 15 turnovers from.

Geno was top 5 in passer rating. Top 6 in QBR. Led the league in completion % and adjusted completion %. He was also 3rd in sacks.

I'll ask again. What QBs do you think had a better year than Geno this year?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think best case would be Geno having about 5 more effective years.
Worse case Geno turns back into Geno next season. I figure a rookie can do that but for much less cost.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno had 11 picks and 2 fumbles so I'm not sure where you are getting 15 turnovers from.

Geno was top 5 in passer rating. Top 6 in QBR. Led the league in completion % and adjusted completion %. He was also 3rd in sacks.

Fluke year from Geno, no way anyone should count on him to repeat it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2 fumbles got recovered so 13 turnovers, but recovering a fumble is still a negative play.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe a bit of a chicken/egg thing, but QBs stick around into their late 30s in the NFL in part because they are good. If you're 35 and not that good, most teams would rather go with a younger guy with more potential. Matt Hasselbeck was still in the league into his late 30s and even started 8 games at age 40 and played right up to his career averages in most categories. Everyone is different I guess, but it's not just the all time greats who can play a long time.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worse case Geno turns back into Geno next season. I figure a rookie can do that but for much less cost.

So you assuming that Geno will not play the way he did this year even you thought he was mostly mediocre but you think that we can basically draft any QB and replicate Geno's performance?

Seems like you have convinced yourself of a lot of things.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you assuming that Geno will not play the way he did this year even you thought he was mostly mediocre but you think that we can basically draft any QB and replicate Geno's performance?

Seems like you have convinced yourself of a lot of things.
Well I am convinced Geno will not play well next season and I also think a rookie can do that for cheap and hopefully they do much better.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno to me is a guy that when he stay’s on schedule works decent within our system, but he sucks at improv, once a play breaks down and he’s off schedule it’s trouble, turnovers, bad throws in coverage, the things that made him a backup show up…

Reactions: MrS

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I am convinced Geno will not play well next season and I also think a rookie can do that for cheap and hopefully they do much better.

And why are you convinced of that?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why are you convinced of that?
Well Geno been around for a while. We saw him start games in 2021, think 4 games and he was OK but not a QB anyone thought could start and do well for a season. Last season he started the first half surprising the heck out of us, mostly because he was way better than what we saw in 2021.
The second half of the season we saw vintage Geno which is to say mediocre play and similar to what we saw in 2021.
We have seen other QBs go on a tear for a season or part of a season, Nick Foles, Case Keenum to name a couple and of course they came back down to earth the following season playing to their norm. I have zero doubt that is what Geno will do, play to his norm. The idea of singing him for 5 years ( with an out after 3) or paying him franchise money has me wondering what in thee hell folks are thinking? Common sense and history should tell you that's a bad idea.
As for a rookie QB, feel it's not much of a challenge to play as well as Geno norm and plenty of reason to think a rookie could exceed Geno norm and with the potential to do much better with experience and the cost...well that's the sweetest part, the difference in pay is like the Grand Canyon. Use that cap space to upgrade any where but QB, draft that QB than use the remaining picks to upgrade where needed. That's is the smart play here.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Geno been around for a while. We saw him start games in 2021, think 4 games and he was OK but not a QB anyone thought could start and do well for a season. Last season he started the first half surprising the heck out of us, mostly because he was way better than what we saw in 2021.
The second half of the season we saw vintage Geno which is to say mediocre play and similar to what we saw in 2021.
We have seen other QBs go on a tear for a season or part of a season, Nick Foles, Case Keenum to name a couple and of course they came back down to earth the falling season playing to their norm. I have zero doubt that is what Geno will do, play to his norm. The idea of singing him for 5 years ( with an out after 3) or paying him franchise money has me wondering what in thee hell folks are thinking? Common sense and history should tell you that's a bad idea.
As for a rookie QB, feel it's not much of a challenge to play as well as Geno norm and plenty of reason to think a rookie could exceed Geno norm and with the potential to do much better with experience and the cost...well that's the sweetest part, the difference in pay is like the Grand Canyon. Use that cap space to upgrade any where but QB, draft that QB than use the remaining picks to upgrade where needed. That's is the smart play here.

Drafting a QB for the sake of drafting a QB is most definitely NOT the safe play.

If there is a QB that they believe is a stud then I'm fine with them drafting him. I'm not happy with them simply taking option 3. That is nothing more than a lottery ticket.
The 5th pick should be BPA at any of our many positions of need. In fact I can list the positions that we SHOULD'NT draft easier than the ones we should.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting a QB for the sake of drafting a QB is most definitely NOT the safe play.

If there is a QB that they believe is a stud then I'm fine with them drafting him. I'm not happy with them simply taking option 3. That is nothing more than a lottery ticket.
The 5th pick should be BPA at any of our many positions of need. In fact I can list the positions that we SHOULD'NT draft easier than the ones we should.
Drafting BPA at a position of need seems sound to me and we need a QB. The top 3 candidates seem pretty solid although I admit I hope Young doesn't fall to the Seahawks because I'd rather have a QB with decent size rather than another undersized kid at QB. Seahawks got a couple real good WRs, decent OL, good RB and a coaching staff that will be of great help to a rookie QB. I'm confident the QB of choice will work out, not saying elite, but good starting caliber. I feel that is the common sense way to proceed.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the Qbs in this class at all, next year will be far better and deeper

Keep geno with a contract that gives us an easy out like the raiders had with carr, build future draft capital

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the Qbs in this class at all, next year will be far better and deeper

Keep geno with a contract that gives us an easy out like the raiders had with carr, build future draft capital
They always say that about the next draft. Even if is a better draft, will Seahawks have draft position to draft one? I highly doubt it. This QB class is fine, doesn't have the golden boy type but has several that can work out if they land on the right team and the Seahawks are one of the "right team"
IMO. I should admit though I would love for the Seahawks to draft Penix next season but he'll likely be out of reach. Can't afford to put off finding the future QB, had to pass last year because that QB class stunk, this years class is way better so the Seahawks should draft one while the opportunity exists.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They always say that about the next draft. Even if is a better draft, will Seahawks have draft position to draft one? I highly doubt it. This QB class is fine, doesn't have the golden boy type but has several that can work out if they land on the right team and the Seahawks are one of the "right team"
IMO. I should admit though I would love for the Seahawks to draft Penix next season but he'll likely be out of reach. Can't afford to put off finding the future QB, had to pass last year because that QB class stunk, this years class is way better so the Seahawks should draft one while the opportunity exists.
The top two next year would easily be #1 this year no questions asked. Then you have a guy like nix that was projected to be a first rounder as well. Its looking like a stacked class.

This class stinks. The top guy is a midget, followed by a guy that has the putrid ohio state pedigree and two pure projects in levis and Richardson. Hard pass.

They should do their best to build capital for next year. Use whatever QB is available at 5 to do it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should admit though I would love for the Seahawks to draft Penix next season but he'll likely be out of reach.

Maybe they can convince the Broncos to take back Lock for a couple of first rounders? :noidea: