• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agency, as it applies to the Redlegs

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could spend an hour crying about how the decision to keep Chapman in the bullpen changed the Reds fortunes completely. Downstream fish bone diagrams that would have prevented the Latos and Marshall acquisitions, and brought better players that would have avoided the signing of overpaid LF's, left money to be better spent and resulted in a WS even Dusty couldn't procrastinate away....but it's all shit down the sewer now.

Under the current budget restraint, free agency to the Reds means getting lesser value for lame duck players at the deadline, and replacing them with garbage heap MLB vets without other offers. The Reds can't take on salary unless it comes with an equal and opposite payroll cut. That means the Reds get 2-3 minor league maybes (that too often become 27 year old rookie role players) for every former core player they are lucky enough to trade. Chapman grieves me, in that regard. Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas may have less performance disparity than Chapman for ...whoever. Closers come and go, but the SP he would have been haunts this team, IMO. Reds vision sucks here fellas.

IMO, next year, the Reds can't afford to add both Mesoraco and Frazier to the payroll status of Bruce & Phillips-someone has to go. I don't believe there is a better trade for Phillips now, than there was 2 years ago. There might be a better trade for Bruce than there was in July. Lots of takers for Frazier, im sure...a few can play 3b, but who else can hit ? This team is in immediate need of a couple minor leaguers that can hit MLB pitching. If they're out there, why aren't they doing it for their current teams ?

That's the puzzle.