• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Night Thread

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It is better than throwing picks away when they clearly do not know what they are looking for on offense...

It could be their strategy is to stock the entire pitching staff internally - relievers are getting expensive.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another college arm.

This is even extreme for extremely extreme.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Panda, the org has not developed a cant-miss bat since Mueller.

POSSIBLE exceptions...

Feliz
Torrealba
Lewis
Downs
Nate
C3PO

I think I prefer the strategy of draft pitchers, trade them for bats.

Am I missing something? Why doesn't Posey count?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
another college arm.

This is even extreme for extremely extreme.

Yeah, I'm not tracking it anymore. But it's clear to me now, the Giants will be pursuing Josh Hamilton next year.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Outside of Panda, the org has not developed a cant-miss bat since Mueller.

POSSIBLE exceptions...

Feliz
Torrealba
Lewis
Downs
Nate
C3PO

I think I prefer the strategy of draft pitchers, trade them for bats.

What did I do to upset you?

Sincerely

Buster Posey

P.S. - It's kinda funny that Posey is clearly visible in his avatar

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't fit the narrative.

I thought maybe it hinged on the word 'develop', since he went almost straight from college to the majors.

But perhaps they just forgot him. :loco2:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought maybe it hinged on the word 'develop', since he went almost straight from college to the majors.

But perhaps they just forgot him. :loco2:

I'm sure that is it. Advanced college bat. Nearly a finished product.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure that is it. Advanced college bat. Nearly a finished product.

At this point, even including Posey, we are still staring at exactly two everyday players players who are even remotely productive.

Crawford and Belt do not count because they do not fit the word productive. Hector Sanchez may well be #3, but until either he learns a new position or the Giants move Posey out from behind the dish, he will not be an everyday player.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was excluding cant-miss bats. Clark and Williams would not have worked either.

Panda and C3PO are both guys who were projects. Panda HAS paid off, C3PO looks promising...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
At this point, even including Posey, we are still staring at exactly two everyday players players who are even remotely productive.

Crawford and Belt do not count because they do not fit the word productive. Hector Sanchez may well be #3, but until either he learns a new position or the Giants move Posey out from behind the dish, he will not be an everyday player.

Amazing how even that is an improvement over the "early" Sabean, when only two position players the Giants drafted were even in the majors (mueller and torrealba). But that's what you get when you decimate your scouting/development staff to save a few dollars (not that that can be laid entirely on sabean).

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

His craptastic approach at the plate is whats keeping him from being an every day player. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the upgrade he's been over whiteside, but he isn't the next graduate of the Panda school of hacking.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Belt the jury is out, his OBP is the same as Posey and Pagan. Craw looks to be good enough for a ++ defending SS. They can't all be Derek Jeter.

Are there a lot of teams with more success over the last couple of years? You could definitely rag on the Giants a few years ago with this complaint but in the last 2-3 years they've done as well as any other team drafting/developing starting ML bats.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
His craptastic approach at the plate is whats keeping him from being an every day player. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the upgrade he's been over whiteside, but he isn't the next graduate of the Panda school of hacking.

Cut him some slack; he's a backup not getting regular reps. He shows good patience and strikezone recognition. It's just not showing up in the results yet. His minor league BB/K was more than adequate - much better than Panda's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did I do to upset you?

Sincerely

Buster Posey

P.S. - It's kinda funny that Posey is clearly visible in his avatar

Posey was considered a can't miss prospect. So basically a prospect not taken in the top 5.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bat?

Heads will roll...

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Belt the jury is out, his OBP is the same as Posey and Pagan. Craw looks to be good enough for a ++ defending SS. They can't all be Derek Jeter.

Are there a lot of teams with more success over the last couple of years? You could definitely rag on the Giants a few years ago with this complaint but in the last 2-3 years they've done as well as any other team drafting/developing starting ML bats.

I may be a concern troll, but I am not blind. Crawford may well be a defensive whiz, but his bat is nowhere near acceptable. Guy is hitting .224 right now and at no point has he had a stretch that I would consider passable, let alone good. He's a career .213 hitter with a Feliz-esque .285 OBP. If anyone expects that to suddenly jump to .250/.340, please step forward and justify your blind optimism.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it was in a chain of posts linked from my Stephen Johnson post which specifically referenced his mechanical flaws. You probably should have made it clear you were not referring to Johnson.

Here's my post:

------
This, from Perfect Game, on Agosta:

The biggest change in Agosta’s development this spring into one of the nation’s premier college pitching prospects, though, has been in the improvement in his changeup. With his increase in fastball velocity, he has only added to the differential on his change, while maintaining the same arm speed on both pitches. He has not been afraid to throw his change in any count, and it has been extremely effective against both lefthanded and righthanded hitters. With the general improvement he has shown with his raw stuff, Agosta’s evolution into a top prospect has become somewhat complete as he has always been considered an excellent athlete (he is a scratch golfer), has a quick, loose arm and an extremely-competitive approach.

Freak lite?
----------

How could I have made it clearer?