• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doug Pederson?

Iron Eagle

Nostril flare expert.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope he is nothing like Brad Childress or Pat Shurmur as a HC. lol. Cant believe anybody can be cool with this along with Howie picking the players.

Ugh. What a shame.

It's not the direction I would have gone but there's nothing I can do about it.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...including Pederson, because he hasn't done anything. His BIGGEST claim to fame and most significant achievement is being back up QB to Brett Favre.
Disagree. He was the starting QB when Shula got the coaching wins record. It was against the Eagles at the Vet, one of the years Randall went down.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets hope he is nothing like Brad Childress or Pat Shurmur as a HC. lol. Cant believe anybody can be cool with this along with Howie picking the players.

Ugh. What a shame.
Hey i was 0% happy with the Andy-Joe Banner duo in 99.

Doc Green

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ugh. What a shame.
I don't mind if Shurmer stays.

Doc Green

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Wiki...

Coaching career
High school

Professional
...Under Pederson's guidance in 2011, the Eagles set a franchise record with 6,386 yards....

HS - irrelevant.
Pro - Let's give equal credit to our RB, TE, and OL coaches for 2011 too. Who were they?

Doc Green

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate the objectivity, I really do. I'm not capable of that right now, considering the way this was done--lies at worst, half-truths at best. This was not an exhaustive search. All options were not considered. A significant NFL coaching pedigree was not on the checklist for possible candidates. While I was not an Andy Reid apologist, he has been the franchise's best head coach, but I don't know why he was given the authority to pick our next head coach.

Questions that I would want answered before this is okay for me:
1. Why was Hue Jackson not considered? Exhaustive search, my ass. Coaching pedigree, my ass.
2. Was Duce a token? Duce, I apologize for Eagles fans everywhere.
3. Who was really responsible for Marcus Smith? If Howie said anything but "Hell no!", why is he still here with the authority he has?

Admittedly, I have no problems with DP as a person--his selection as HC (and all associated factors) is the problem.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. He was the starting QB when Shula got the coaching wins record. It was against the Eagles at the Vet, one of the years Randall went down.

I somehow also remember him carving up the Eagles in some game he played against them late in his career, with our offense somewhat being shut down. Or he might have been the back-up there as well, and basically have coached the opposing team that game if he did not play in it himself.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doc:
Hue was simply someone they didn't like.

Duce was interviewed because of a stupid rule. Everyone including Duce know this.

Marcus Smith was a Howie pick and may play OK in a 4-3. Doubt it but maybe. Howie picked him.

While it would be nice to know, the league has to lie and tell half truths. Eight other teams are competing for the same (well some) people.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As others have said, I'd feel better about this if he at least called plays.

He has called plays. Anyone saying otherwise is ignorant of reality. It's even very likely that his team is undefeated when he calls the plays.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pederson & Howie are both represented by Bob Lamonte.

How convenient. This is sickening.

Don't like that, but it also doesn't necessarily mean anything.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picking the right coach is just as hard as drafting the right player in the first round. There are no sure fire great hires anywhere. Some of the best in the NFL did not do so well right away. All you have to do is look at Pete Carroll and Bill Belechick. Some times you have to get lucky. We did with Reid. I still say he was a very good coach but bad personnel guy.

With that said I am willing to see what Pederson can do. Andy Reid has a very good coaching tree.

Eagles' hiring of Pederson the Reid option

The knee-jerk reaction is to call that foolish, but Reid's coaching tree includes John Harbaugh, who won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens, Ron Rivera, who just coached the Carolina Panthers to the best regular-season record in the NFL, and Todd Bowles, who coached the New York Jets to a 10-6 finish.

Last edited:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGH.....I wish they would let us edit posts.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of you mods want to fix the title of this thread?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGH.....I wish they would let us edit posts.

You can edit it within the first 5-10 minutes. There's a little pencil icon in the bottom left of your own posts.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't like that, but it also doesn't necessarily mean anything.

As allegedly just about every capable coach and coördinator as well as a bunch of personnel men is presented by Lamonte.... some of the comments I have heared over the past weeks is that it is very difficult to NOT run into multiple Lamonte clients in these kind of searches.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to think about this. I guess the most important thing now is who is his assistants? We simply don't know enough about Pederson. He is a complete unknown entity. We know him as a player (he sucked). We don't know him as a coordinator. The most damning thing heard about him came from that nut job McNabb who said I don't think he can be a leader of men. That is an issue. But of course McNabb only knew Pederson when he was here 15 plus years ago. He doesn't know him as a coach. Just really don't know what to think.

Pointing to the good offense in KC would be like blaming Shurmur for the poor offense here. Neither were really in charge of the systems.

My biggest problem here is they didn't cast a wide enough net. Maybe they tried and got turned down for whatever reason. Be it Howie, Be it the talent on the team. Be it city whatever. Over the last three years Lurie has gone from what most of thought of as a good owner to a real suspect. From hiring a college coach, to then letting him destroy the franchise to bringing back Howie. None of it says man who has control of his team.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I am still scratching my head on why they would be intent on hiring a 47 year old with exactly 5 years of NFL coaching responsibility as a QB coach or Offensive Coordinator whose offense has ranked in the 20s for the last three years. They do one 4 hour interview with the guy and he is now their choice? The guy has worked in exactly one system, and arguably produced only mediocre results everywhere he went.

I am sorry, but this reads like a total homer/buddy hire to me.

Buddy hire for sure. I bet Dougie is great fun at the Christmas Party.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, just maybe, DP gives us a run first offense and DeMarco Murray looks like Jamaal Charles.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to think about this. I guess the most important thing now is who is his assistants? We simply don't know enough about Pederson. He is a complete unknown entity. We know him as a player (he sucked). We don't know him as a coordinator. The most damning thing heard about him came from that nut job McNabb who said I don't think he can be a leader of men. That is an issue. But of course McNabb only knew Pederson when he was here 15 plus years ago. He doesn't know him as a coach. Just really don't know what to think.

Except that is not what McNabb said. He said he does not know whether Pederson can be a leader or men - mostly because he has only experienced Pederson in his first year in Philadelphia. Also, one does not know for any first time head coach whether they can be a leader of men, until they are put in that position. Chip Kelly was a definite failure as a leader of men.

BTW, I just this morning heared full endorsements by Chad Lewis and Kevin Kolb about Pederson as a coach and teacher.

Pointing to the good offense in KC would be like blaming Shurmur for the poor offense here. Neither were really in charge of the systems.

And that is indeed part of the problem - we do not know to what extent he was responsible. Allegedly when Pederson got more involved, the offense got better (though again, at the same time, this also coincided with giving Alex Smith more leeway).

It all depends on what Pederson and the OC want to do. Does Pederson want to actually be the playcaller on offense, or more the designer/game planner, and leave the playcalling to somebody else? Much like we expect - or rather think he must - do with the defense, leaving that to the DC?

My biggest problem here is they didn't cast a wide enough net. Maybe they tried and got turned down for whatever reason. Be it Howie, Be it the talent on the team. Be it city whatever. Over the last three years Lurie has gone from what most of thought of as a good owner to a real suspect. From hiring a college coach, to then letting him destroy the franchise to bringing back Howie. None of it says man who has control of his team.

Lurie does not seem the strong owner now he once seemed earlier, I agree with you there.