• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doug Pederson?

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given this groups record for prognostication (y'all make Miss Cleo look like Nostradamus) we should make this thread a sticky for future reference.

To paraphrase the font of all modern wisdom, Yogi Berra, Predictions are a tough business, especially ones about the future.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they hired an offensive coach who we hope will be average at running his offense, and hoping he will be able to hire a stud defensive coach to make up for his shortcomings? Sounds like a plan!

Well, that's their plan. They had Pederson as a fallback guy, and when they lost thier 2 coveted guys - Gase & McAdoo, they went with Doug, after Coughlin said no thanks.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any mods want to fix the title of this thread?

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can some of you guys in Philly put a gag in Mike Missanelli's trap?

Holy f*** what an idiot he is.
Nah. We see eye to eye on a lot. Didn't hear him today tho.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust Reid? The guy that promoted Castillo to DC? Hired Jim Washburn and Howard Mudd out of retirement? Recommended Brad Childress to Minnesota?

Sure, why not? 5 NFC Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl appearance is more than most coaches can ever dream of doing. As a fan, I would have preferred a different outcome in some of these games. :D Not every decision he made was perfect but I do trust him.

I am sure Dougie is a wonderful guy and has all the "it" factor that Chip lacked like collaborating well with everyone and being a blast at Christmas Parties.

I really think it has more to it than missing a Christmas party. Chip fired Evan Mathis for missing voluntary mini camps so didn't Chip set the example for this type of situation? :D :D :D

I also don't get why we think he knows how to build a good staff, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. This takes knowing and having great relations within the coaching community which might be true? But with only 5 years in titled positions as a coach, I really don't know how extensive his network could be?

Pederson was a rookie in 1991 and retired in 2004 due to an injury. In 2009 he took his first coaching job with the Eagles. In 2016 he is now the OC for the Chiefs who are playing a divisional playoff game. He did coach High School so lets say he has about 20 years of NFL experience as a player and a coach. Since 2009 he has worked with Reid and I am sure he has had plenty of networking opportunities.

I think he has been trained by a great coach. As a player in the NFL he understands the game and can relate to the players. I have no reason to believe he will fail. I will admit, I have no reason to think he will be a success either. I can say the same thing about any Head Coach that was hired this year. There are no guarantees in the NFL.

Funny, I am not used to 49er fan being so passionate about the Eagles!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Reactions: WIZ

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm coming around on Peterson. The most important things are having good coordinators, assistant coaches, finding a new QB who wil be the foundation for the team for ten years or so, ala Reid/McNabb, and a good personnel chief. See the attached article from Tommy Lawlor. Hope it comes through - I'm not a computer wiz.

iggles blitz.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm coming around on Peterson. The most important things are having good coordinators, assistant coaches, finding a new QB who wil be the foundation for the team for ten years or so, ala Reid/McNabb, and a good personnel chief. See the attached article from Tommy Lawlor. Hope it comes through - I'm not a computer wiz.

iggles blitz.

The link does not work.

These were the two Pederson articles I could find on Igglesblitz:

Eagles Pick Pederson

Doug Pederson Day

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep QB and DC will be the only two decisions Pederson will have to nail.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Pederson will do an outstanding job for the Eagles. He is great upon working one on one with
Quarterbacks. He actually talks to the players. He has been with winning teams. The Reid endorsement
has some weight to it. If the Eagles can revise their defense I expect next season to be a wining one!

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep QB and DC will be the only two decisions Pederson will have to nail.

Yes, and from what I've heard, I think Schwartz would be the best choice for DC. I would offer Shurmur the OC job, and he is still under contract anyway, unless Chip wants him and Bradford to join him in SF. In that case, then Chlidress would be the guy, I'm sure. I don't want to sign Bradford to a big dollar deal, as we need to draft our own, just as Reid did with McNabb. I really am getting very high on Wentz as the #1 pick for us. Hope the Eagles feel that way too. We can get him at #13.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Pederson is grabbing a lineman at 13 no matter what.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the kc pats game...seems pretty clear the two best coordinators in the game are on the new England sideline. So.impressive here at halftime. can't imagine why you wouldn't interview them but perhaps they weren't interested?

swat

Shady is the real Mccoy!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they had to interview others to make it look good but I think Pederson was their #1 choice all along.
Perfect choice for LUrie (whom loves Reid) & Howie (whom will now have an inexperienced HC whom he can blame if things go sour). Plus they have the same agent. Which seems to be a theme in the NFL.

Dont see any of this as a positive but time will tell.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the kc pats game...seems pretty clear the two best coordinators in the game are on the new England sideline. So.impressive here at halftime. can't imagine why you wouldn't interview them but perhaps they weren't interested?

How many NE coördinators had any success in the league? To my knowledge every single one of them was 'the next greatest thing after BB' and flamed out almost as spectacularly as Chip Kelly did over here.