• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Doctor Who

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not familiar with him. If they avoid the deep dive into identity politics that they did with Whittaker, I am 100% ok with it. If they make him a BLM activist, I may just bail on the franchise (finally).

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not familiar with him. If they avoid the deep dive into identity politics that they did with Whittaker, I am 100% ok with it. If they make him a BLM activist, I may just bail on the franchise (finally).

is he the next dr who?? if so that is going to be hard to watch... i found Sex education to be one of the most awkward shows to watch... until i gave up on it... and i dont give up on anything...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is he the next dr who?? if so that is going to be hard to watch... i found Sex education to be one of the most awkward shows to watch... until i gave up on it... and i dont give up on anything...
He is. I have not watched that show at all, so I don’t have that bias going in.

While he played an lbgthuoplsr in that show, apparently he at least is not “out” irl. Though I saw a red carpet interview with him over the weekend and he had his shirt unbuttoned to the belly button and my radar was going off pretty strongly with him.

I don’t have a problem with that, either, though. John Barrowman is an openly gay actor, and he actually brought that into his Captain Jack character, and that wasn’t too bad. But the Doctor shouldn’t be gay OR straight. “He” is sexless. But they “went there” with Whittaker (of course they did), so they almost certainly will “go there” with Gatwa as well.

But, like I did with Whittaker, I will allow the show to prove to me that he is bad before I dislike him. They proved to me with Whittaker that her Doctor was hands down the worst ever. But I WANTED her to succeed. I WANT Gatwa to succeed. And with RTD at the helm instead of Chibnall, I think that is possible.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is. I have not watched that show at all, so I don’t have that bias going in.

While he played an lbgthuoplsr in that show, apparently he at least is not “out” irl. Though I saw a red carpet interview with him over the weekend and he had his shirt unbuttoned to the belly button and my radar was going off pretty strongly with him.

I don’t have a problem with that, either, though. John Barrowman is an openly gay actor, and he actually brought that into his Captain Jack character, and that wasn’t too bad. But the Doctor shouldn’t be gay OR straight. “He” is sexless. But they “went there” with Whittaker (of course they did), so they almost certainly will “go there” with Gatwa as well.

But, like I did with Whittaker, I will allow the show to prove to me that he is bad before I dislike him. They proved to me with Whittaker that her Doctor was hands down the worst ever. But I WANTED her to succeed. I WANT Gatwa to succeed. And with RTD at the helm instead of Chibnall, I think that is possible.

I didnt really think they went the Lesbian route with whittaker... i mean, she was just a man... or at least it wasnt obvious political statement... at least that wasnt... but they did a lot of women rights episodes early on in her tenure...

i havent seen this actor act in anything but sex education, so i am only imagining that character... and if it is anything like that character, it is going to be hard to watch...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt really think they went the Lesbian route with whittaker... i mean, she was just a man... or at least it wasnt obvious political statement... at least that wasnt... but they did a lot of women rights episodes early on in her tenure...

i havent seen this actor act in anything but sex education, so i am only imagining that character... and if it is anything like that character, it is going to be hard to watch...
The whole Dr Lesbian arc is currently going. She is in a major flirt-mance with Yas. Super awkward and totally pointless.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole Dr Lesbian arc is currently going. She is in a major flirt-mance with Yas. Super awkward and totally pointless.

i mean, Dr who was married before, when IT(??) was a man... so having or wanting a love life is not pointless or out of character... and of the two sidekicks she has now, i would much rather a romance with the girl than the man... especially since he is not exactly single...

so, i disagree with you on that one... i actually thought the way they did it made sense and was very organic... sure the chemistry is not there, but thats on the actresses...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean, Dr who was married before, when IT(??) was a man... so having or wanting a love life is not pointless or out of character... and of the two sidekicks she has now, i would much rather a romance with the girl than the man... especially since he is not exactly single...

so, i disagree with you on that one... i actually thought the way they did it made sense and was very organic... sure the chemistry is not there, but thats on the actresses...
It was just predictable with how the show has become Dr Activist / Dr Narrative / Dr Identity rather than Dr Who with Whittaker (probably more on Chibnall, to be fair, though I suspect Whittaker is 100% on board)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regen this weekend. Lots of rumors that it won’t be a straightforward regen, though. I don’t know if Chibnall is the boss in this ep or if RTD is taking back the reigns with this ep (officially or unofficially).

This show has been crap since the 50th (this episode is the 60th, btw), so my expectations are very low, but kicking Chibs and Whittaker to the curb is certainly a move in the right direction.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad episode. Imho, the hands down best Whittaker episode. But her leaving probably has a good deal to do with that.

I liked the concept at the end (not saying what it is because it is too new and could be considered a spoiler). We don’t have to ever see it again, but knowing it exists it a good idea. And it can actually have consequences for organizations like Torchwood and UNIT moving forward (is Torchwood a part of UNIT?? I never fully understood how they relate to each other).

The regen twist had been semi-spoiled for me, but I still like it. Let’s see where RTD takes the story line.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really a spoiler, but with the lack of active discussion here, I wanted to give a few more days before open-discussing the events of this latest episode.

Tennant is officially #14. He and Tate will get a short run, with at least 3 episodes in ‘23. No idea how they will write Donna back into the show, but I am sure they will take the required 13 seconds to undo her whole exit arc.

Gatwa is still slated to take over as #15, though.

Just a bit of a rant here, but the numbering is completely fucked now. Hurt is the REAL 9 and Tennant is actually 11, 12 and 16. Martin, who is now considered #0, I guess, is actually #infinity since pre-Hartnell/Bradley there were dozens or hundreds of Doctors…

LyquidMetal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, brought back DT to try and revive a dying show? Might gotta give that a watch again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, brought back DT to try and revive a dying show? Might gotta give that a watch again.
I think it is more about the fact that RTD has the reins now. He is probably looking at Tennant as a nice piece of ginger to cleanse the pallet after the huge dump Chibnall and Whittaker took on the franchise.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really is a tight race between McCoy and Whittaker as the worst Doctor in the show’s run. McCoy’s take was an OK concept that was just plagued by HORRIBLE writing. Whittaker also suffered from bad writing, but a lot of that bad writing was because they wanted to wedge every woke concept they possibly could into the show, and she was APPARENTLY completely on board with that, if not a primary driver of it, so I don’t give her the same level of pass that I give to McCoy.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US distribution of the show is moving from AMC to Disney+ moving forward. Not certain when the library will go live on Disney+, but all first runs moving forward will stream on D+. Looks like AMC’s run ended with Whittaker’s exit.

I like this. Dr Who is a good fit for Disney.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
US distribution of the show is moving from AMC to Disney+ moving forward. Not certain when the library will go live on Disney+, but all first runs moving forward will stream on D+. Looks like AMC’s run ended with Whittaker’s exit.

I like this. Dr Who is a good fit for Disney.

I highly doubt that DT return is to cleanse a pallet... if that is true then they wouldn't have Gatwa as the next one... if we hear in a couple weeks that Gatwa is no longer the next doctor, then that would make sense for that logic...

I think Tennant coming back was entirely for shock and a safe actor to handle some more significant projects I think they are planning on doing for the holiday season coming up

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt that DT return is to cleanse a pallet... if that is true then they wouldn't have Gatwa as the next one... if we hear in a couple weeks that Gatwa is no longer the next doctor, then that would make sense for that logic...

I think Tennant coming back was entirely for shock and a safe actor to handle some more significant projects I think they are planning on doing for the holiday season coming up
I don’t think we will see new episodes until the end-ish of ‘23. I don’t think we have getting a Holliday special this year.

As re the cleansing of the pallet, I meant allowing RTD to work from a familiar place starting off and allowing him to create a better lead in to the bulk of his expected work, which will be with Gatwa.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think we will see new episodes until the end-ish of ‘23. I don’t think we have getting a Holliday special this year.

As re the cleansing of the pallet, I meant allowing RTD to work from a familiar place starting off and allowing him to create a better lead in to the bulk of his expected work, which will be with Gatwa.

I don't know.. maybe there is something more to it... maybe it is as simple as Whittaker wanted out and Gatwa wasn't ready to take over for whatever reason.... but when you wikipedia it it says DT has three episodes(not sure of that includes specials or not)... but I do assume that there will be some sort of special to justify the decision to go back to DT, as the show knows what it is with a proven actor and doctor like DT...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tenant’s first full episode as 15 is getting released next week (Nov 27?). But Disney isn’t scheduled to get Doctor Who in time for that release. From what I have seen online, there is serious question about how that episode will air in the US.

there was also a short “skit” released yesterday that addresses the origins of the word “Dalek”. It also features a “young” Davros. It is definitely worth the watch.

Ottermatic

You Otter Pay Attention
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really enjoyed the Star Beast. It felt like a return to the tone and whimsy of RTD era Doctor Who.