• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Did you guys hear...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The same marks they said about this guy from Tennessee who would have been nothing but a 4th round pick if his last name was not Manning are being said about Mariota.

Yeah… uh no… they're not.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard it yesterday on ESPN, Mel Kiper Jr was on for the mocks.

The two have nothing in common. Where do I even start? Mariota is criticized mainly for running the spread in college. AKA... never having to read a defense, go through real progressions, make a check at the line of scrimmage, call a play, take snaps under center, develop pocket awareness, etc… That and he has a pretty average arm.

None of these things were in the stratosphere of being a problem for Peyton Manning out of college. He was also loved by scouts and analysts alike. Went #1 overall.

How are you possibly making this comparison?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Fuck yourself. The jags are good?

Where did I say this?

Also...

Do you watch football… or do you just look at the standings at the end of the season? The Jaguars have some real young talent on defense, and Bortles made some strides at the end of last season. I never said they were good, but they're headed in the right direction. The O-line additions and signing Julius Thomas could be real big for developing that team. Not to mention, Justin Blackmon is a nutcase, but was also a monster in the handful of games he did play in. If he can keep it together this year, they have some real talent around the QB position.

This isn't college football. The Jags were contending for a division title just four seasons ago. Teams go through ups and downs, but nobody stays bad forever. I can't even do anything but laugh if you actually think Gabbert wasn't total trash. That had very little to do with the team he was on. Chad Henne outplayed him by a mile with the same team for chrissake.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wrote down what Mel Kiper said. can you email him and ask him where he made the comparison. Dont shoot the messenger, no matter how easy a target he is.

C

cubzzzfanincali

The two have nothing in common. Where do I even start? Mariota is criticized mainly for running the spread in college. AKA... never having to read a defense, go through real progressions, make a check at the line of scrimmage, call a play, take snaps under center, develop pocket awareness, etc… That and he has a pretty average arm.

None of these things were in the stratosphere of being a problem for Peyton Manning out of college. He was also loved by scouts and analysts alike. Went #1 overall.

How are you possibly making this comparison?

I haven't watched the guy personally, but since all of the scouting reports I have seen (and posted in this thread) suggests he has an above-average arm, where do you get the impression his arm is average? Have you watched him play a lot?

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched the guy personally, but since all of the scouting reports I have seen (and posted in this thread) suggests he has an above-average arm, where do you get the impression his arm is average? Have you watched him play a lot?

Sounds like a case of "Fuck the PAC-12, the Big Ten is better" syndrome. I watched Mariota, and he is a good QB. If the Bears were lucky enough

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I didn't finish my post.

...lucky enough to grab him in the draft, I would be happy.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I watched him play probably 6 or 7 times last season, and I'm not claiming to be some kind of expert. His arm could very well be above average. However, it certainly was not overwhelming. Put it this way, I don't see how is arm strength is some kind of huge plus for him. It certainly does not separate him from any other recent QB prospects that have gone in the first or second round.

I was honestly just so far from being impressed by the kid. I would be very surprised if he's a big success at the NFL level. Just my opinion, nothing more.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Ok, well if you have seen him play that much, I can respect that. It's interesting. One way or another we will find out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a case of "Fuck the PAC-12, the Big Ten is better" syndrome. I watched Mariota, and he is a good QB. If the Bears were lucky enough

Lol… No offense, but I'm actually laughing at the fact that someone thinks I have a bias with a college football conference. I do not have a college team that I root for. I could give two shits. I mean, you had no way of knowing, but it's just funny to me. If you knew me, you would know how little I care about ANY of that school or conference pride shit. I watch college football because I love football… (and sometimes gambling :D).

Marcus Mariota will not be successful at the NFL level. The only way he smells success is if he goes to Philadelphia with Chip Kelly and continues to run a similar version to the offense he ran in college. He has ZERO business playing in a pro style offense. It will be a disaster.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Rich what if we drafted him and groomed him for a year or possibly two? Is it lack of experience or talent that scares you off. I agree he is not ready but could be a good future move.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole conversation is there is nobody else so we need to keep cutler. How many more years do we need to deal with this? Get somebody, then deal with Cutler. EVERYBODY wants to find that third rounder, or sixth rounder to be the next Brady or Wilson, so pick there every year.

Brett Hundley might be that wilson type guy probably late second rounder, might make it to the third. But comparing getting him possibly or Mariota are two different qb's.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole conversation is there is nobody else so we need to keep cutler. How many more years do we need to deal with this? Get somebody, then deal with Cutler. EVERYBODY wants to find that third rounder, or sixth rounder to be the next Brady or Wilson, so pick there every year.

Brett Hundley might be that wilson type guy probably late second rounder, might make it to the third. But comparing getting him possibly or Mariota are two different qb's.

I`m agreeing with this...........the Cutler experiment has failed.

Time to move on......And I asked earlier in this thread about hundley being our second rd`er. We have try something.We really do.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I though Hundley was OK at the combine. You can wait til the sixth and get the kid that looks like Payton Manning I think his name is Mannion, but he just looks like Payton standing still. He has a real herky jerky throwing motion that isnt gonna make it in the nfl. There might be 6 drafted, a good chance for mr insignificant final pick, but there will probably be 5 or 6 undrafted free agents signed this year.

Mariota and Hundley have much better escapability that Winston, I really didnt think a 5 second 40 guy would be the top pick in the draft. UCLA ran a little pro offense with Mora, but still ran more of the spread like Mariota ran. The biggest knock against Hundley is he is a run first guy, but if he gets a chance in the pocket, he has that Jay montra of "he can make all the throws". The challenge is keeping his eyes up and staying behind the line of scrimmage.

Mariota can challenge Jay faster than Hundley can. If you want a guy that is more apt to stay in the pocket and make those throws that drop in a receivers hands at top speed, you wait a little longer for Baylors Perry. Definitely the nicest deep ball in the draft, makes you think he at least gives his receivers a chance to get a step before dumping it off to the running back.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to draft a QB fairly high, if for no other reason than to finally give Jay some legitimate competition.

C

cubzzzfanincali

So Rich what if we drafted him and groomed him for a year or possibly two? Is it lack of experience or talent that scares you off. I agree he is not ready but could be a good future move.

This is really the crucial question. Lots of great NFL QBs didn't play in a "pro" type offense in college and they were able to learn it. Whether Mariota can or not remains to be seen.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`m agreeing with this...........the Cutler experiment has failed.

Time to move on......And I asked earlier in this thread about hundley being our second rd`er. We have try something.We really do.

You know Jay is just going to have a spectacular year, just to piss us all off.