• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chicago Cubs Offseason

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs trade for catcher

Cubs Acquire George Kottaras
By Steve Adams [November 26 at 3:12pm CST]
3:12pm: The Chicago Tribune's Paul Sullivan tweets that the Cubs will send cash to the Royals for Kottaras, who will compete for the backup job in Spring Training.

3:06pm: The Cubs have acquired catcher George Kottaras from the Royals, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (on Twitter). Kottaras had been designated for assignment last week.

Kottaras, 30, hit .180/.349/.370 in 126 plate appearances for the Royals in 2013. Kottaras has outstanding plate discipline and power for a catcher, as evidenced by his career 14 percent walk rate and .192 isolated power mark. He struck out in 33.3 percent of his plate appearances in 2013, however, and has whiffed at nearly a 23 percent clip throughout his career.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Adam Dunn of back-up catchers. I like this move. It's nothing flashy, but he'll be a solid back-up catcher.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Navarro was gonna be too expensive to keep. I dont know, you go back to Soto, having Blanco here was awesome his first season, all Blanco wanted was 750k, the cubs had a million dollar option on him, but when he left, Sotos game went down hill. I just hope Castillo gets the support he needs from his backup and not locked out by a guy that wants to play more or we find Castillo more mentally tough than Soto showed.

Who knows, if the Orioles end up trading Weiters for shark, he will be competing with castillo for the backup.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Wieters for Samardzija? I haven't heard anything on that, is this a possibility?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can google the links. After McCann got 100 million from the yankees, the Orioles dont expect to pay him. And since Toronto and Baltimore are the two biggest rumors with the cubs and shark, it just made sense to lump them together.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can google the links. After McCann got 100 million from the yankees, the Orioles dont expect to pay him. And since Toronto and Baltimore are the two biggest rumors with the cubs and shark, it just made sense to lump them together.

I'd love to get Wieters. Although, I'm guessing the Cubs are looking to get pitching back for Samardzija. And I read that Wieters is wanting to test FA, so we wouldn't have him long even if we traded for him.

But I wouldn't mind bringing him in, that would be a nice move.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be both teams having a chance to extend them to make the deal.

I like Alex Johnson coming up in the draft, but he is just leaving high school, so I dont know how many years away he is, but it could play into a 3 or 4 year deal with Weiters.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cubs sign Wesley Wright

The Cubs have signed left-handed reliever Wesley Wright to a one-year deal believed to be for $1.425MM, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Wright, who was recently non-tendered by the Rays, is represented by Reynolds Sports Management.

The 28-year-old came to Tampa for the stretch last year after he was traded via waiver claim from the Astros. He posted a combined 3.69 ERA in 53 2/3 innings for the two clubs. As one might expect, Wright has historically been much more effective against lefties. When facing same-handed hitters, he has posted a career 3.11 K:BB ratio while surrendering only a .655 OPS.

Entering the off-season with four years and 105 days of Major League service, Wright was projected by MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz to earn $1.4MM in arbitration. Since Wright will fall shy of qualifying for free agency following next year, the Cubs will also have future control over their new left-hander.

name Eric Hinske as first base coach

and will light the christmas tree with 100 years as the top to start the celebration of the 100 years of wrigley.

other than that, just more shark rumors to Dbacks, Toronto or Baltimore if he does not sign the extension. Cubs want a no trade clause so might deal him even if he does sign.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the new posting rules are in place. A bidding cap of $20M and if multiple teams have the same bid those teams get to compete as if the player is an FA. This means the Cubs will have to outbid the Yankees and others for Tanaka. I could actually Tanaka getting something like 10 years and $150M. Given his age that would be through his age 35 season so I could see a team not worrying about too much decline at that point. Keep in mind Darvish's deal with the posting fee totaled $107M over 6 years.

With the extra money from the increased TV revenue and the player being a free agent, granted there will still probably only be 4-5 serious teams after him, it could drive the price up. I really see this setting up to drive up the price of highly sought players from Japan even though it will reduce the amount of that money that goes to the teams in Japan. Tanaka's team has said they might not post him, but given the finances of a baseball team in Japan I don't see there being much chance for that.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the new posting rules are in place. A bidding cap of $20M and if multiple teams have the same bid those teams get to compete as if the player is an FA. This means the Cubs will have to outbid the Yankees and others for Tanaka. I could actually Tanaka getting something like 10 years and $150M. Given his age that would be through his age 35 season so I could see a team not worrying about too much decline at that point. Keep in mind Darvish's deal with the posting fee totaled $107M over 6 years.

With the extra money from the increased TV revenue and the player being a free agent, granted there will still probably only be 4-5 serious teams after him, it could drive the price up. I really see this setting up to drive up the price of highly sought players from Japan even though it will reduce the amount of that money that goes to the teams in Japan. Tanaka's team has said they might not post him, but given the finances of a baseball team in Japan I don't see there being much chance for that.

I heard all teams are getting an extra 26 million from tv and 25 million from MLB.com. At least his team only gets 20 million now and you are more paying for the player.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was just an increase of $26M from TV revenue, all contracts combined. If every team is getting an extra $51M then I would expect some of the contracts given out this off-season to be bigger. For example, if you handed the Blue Jays an extra $51M I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have matched or beaten that Cano offer since they are in clear win now mode and I would've thought a team like the Royals or Pirates could have gotten involved who are close to being contenders.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That chart shows a $26M increase in National TV money. 2013 National TV share was $25.53M and the 2014 share is $51.67M.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still, teams like houston are getting 109 million from tv and they are in no hurry to raise payroll.
Pretty amazing how much money is trading hands thru tv.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on the Jose Veras signing?

Maybe hope he can have a good 1st half and flip him at the deadline?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't be too much more of this "sign a guy and hope to get something for him".

We will see Baez at some point this season, and probably even Bryant. This should be the last complete throw away season.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see much more than trying to flip Veras to a contender in June.

I really dont mind the lack of signings this offseason, if we could have dealt barney to the yankees and sign b-rob we could have flipped him too. Cant wait for these kids to show up.

I saw an awesome sportscenter piece on Szczur, donating bone marrow to a little girl in the ukraine. I hope he and Bjax get a shot to play this year. We got plenty to be a mediocre team with what we have, or can be special.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see much more than trying to flip Veras to a contender in June.

I really dont mind the lack of signings this offseason, if we could have dealt barney to the yankees and sign b-rob we could have flipped him too. Cant wait for these kids to show up.

I saw an awesome sportscenter piece on Szczur, donating bone marrow to a little girl in the ukraine. I hope he and Bjax get a shot to play this year. We got plenty to be a mediocre team with what we have, or can be special.

Yeah I saw that as well, good segment.

I'd rather Szczur get a shot than Jackson. We've already witnessed the Jackson experience, It's time for Szczur to have his shot.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say why not both. Jackson seemed to double or strike out, but will run thru walls for this team. I just like that. Sveum wrecked his swing. I would rather he got that double than walked anyway. So many great hitters out there like Molina or Cabrera that dont have to wait out pitchers and never get to three ball counts. Gotta let the kid play his game.

Sounds like the Tanaka deal is on hold again, now its only 20 million going to the team, they might not let him out of his contract.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt Jackson will ever see the light of day with this team again barring his k numbers dropping by huge amounts.. Him and vitters will be traded in some deals this year i believe. I know they reaqlly dont want to spend alot of money this year but i would love to see these moves happen if i am running the team.
1: sign matt garza.: he was solid for us before and can be again
2: sign santana: a fairly solid pitcher more to come on this.
3: trade jeff to the blue jays and maybe even include the likes of barney to maximize the return to possibly get their 2 top pitchers on the farm.

We have a few pitching prospects now but no one anyone is saying a #1 or 2 starter so there is a need both now and in the future for more pitching. Garza and santana would help us this year and for a few years till our pitching is ready for the show.plus we would then be able to unload Edwin jackson if he doesn't improve. Baez will be ready sometime next year bryant,and olt most likely as well with almora soler ,alcantara and szczur about 6 months or so behind. Vizcaino is the only pitcher close if not ready as ramirez a step behind with edwards and johnson only sniffing at Double A. Being able to get Stronman and sanchez from the blue jays not only get 2 high quality arms but stronman is already really close to being ready so it would help us out greatly.