• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chicago Cubs Offseason

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, glad he is not here, just because I thought they would have gone out and started signing more betterans and get away from this wait for the kids to show up.

I never saw the two as related. Tanaka would have been an extension of the goal to acquire young talent. Adding a 25 year old pitcher doesn't suddenly mean you go out and sign guys to block Baez, Alcantara, Olt, Bryant, Almora, etc. It's just another piece in place to go with Wood, Rizzo, Castillo and Castro.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a little worried about what we are doing. I love the idea of rebuilding through the draft, and then spending money to fill the holes on our team. I do not get why we are not giving a chance to some of the "decent" prospects who are 23-26. Especially on offense, I want to see Vitters, Olt, Jackson, Szczur get a chance to play. I honestly do not get why valbuena, ransom, or any of the other 28-40 year old's who cant hit are on the team. If Vitters is a bust and hits sub 200 over the coarse of the year then so be it.

I am hoping to see some promise this year..... I guess more like praying

Olt is going to get his chance. I'm hoping Szczur does too

Vitters and Jackson had a chance and were horrid at the plate.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw the two as related. Tanaka would have been an extension of the goal to acquire young talent. Adding a 25 year old pitcher doesn't suddenly mean you go out and sign guys to block Baez, Alcantara, Olt, Bryant, Almora, etc. It's just another piece in place to go with Wood, Rizzo, Castillo and Castro.

That's how I saw it as well.

Landing Tanaka would have kept Samardzija. Now I'm guessing Samardzija talks will heat up again.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason that landing Tanaka would have been related to keeping Samardzija is if Samardzija is as dumb as a lot of fans thinking that landing Tanaka would turn a 65 win team into a playoff team and dropped his asking price on an extension. Samardzija will probably not get moved until the deadline, but if he has another strong first half that could mean a Garza type return for him.

Olt will get a chance to win the 3B job. If his vision really is fixed then he should win the job and could end up sticking at 3B for a long time. Szczur will start the year in AAA and probably get a look after Schierholtz is traded mid-season. Vitters probably gets some playing time in LF at some point, assuming he can finally have a healthy season. Vitter's AAA numbers have been good, but he was pretty much hurt all season last year which prevented him getting another shot last year.

Lake is really the only OF that should have his job all year. Schierholtz will get traded and the CF platoon could easily get benched for guys like Vitters, Ha and Szczur with Szczur, Ha and Lake all having the tools to play some CF.

The infield is where things could get complicated. Rizzo and Castillo are not going anywhere. If Olt sticks at 3B that leaves 2B for Alcantara and Baez. They could move Baez to RF/LF, but I don't see that happening. I could see them moving Castro to CF where his defensive skills might be better used. Then Baez at SS and Alcantara at 2B. This is without even talking about the next wave of infielders like Amaya and Candelario.

Assuming that two of Olt, Baez and Alcantara are up this year and show they belong I think we see a lot more activity next off-season. Signing pitchers like Scherzer and Bailey paired with Wood would instantly make the pitching good enough to contend. They could still have pieces like Vogelbach, Amaya, Candelario, etc to trade for either bullpen help or an upgrade at backup catcher, etc. Then you throw in Lake, Bryant, Soler and Almora as a potential OF depending on their progress this year.

I like Vitters as a bench guy who can play LF, 3B and 1B. I really like Lake as a super utility type for a floor on his potential and he could end up as an everyday OF, 3B or 2B depending on how others pan out and how his development ends up. I really think moving Castro to CF would be a good move as his speed/range and arm would play well there and his issues with making routine ground ball plays would become largely irrelevant. The Cubs have a top 3 farm and most are calling it the #2 farm right now and as some of the high ceiling guys are approaching the majors this year we should start seeing big jumps in win totals starting in 2015. The Cubs may only win 65 this year, but that could easily jump to 85 next year just from Baez, Bryant, Soler and Alcantara showing up along with 1-2 big pitching additions next off-season.

Sportsmen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olt is going to get his chance. I'm hoping Szczur does too

Vitters and Jackson had a chance and were horrid at the plate.

Vitters had 100 AB's and jackson had 160 or something.

I would have no problem giving them 400+ AB's this year.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vitters had 100 AB's and jackson had 160 or something.

I would have no problem giving them 400+ AB's this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vitters, but Jackson just doesn't have it.

Far too many strike outs.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing Vitters, but Jackson just doesn't have it.

Far too many strike outs.

To me it seemed like BJax was strike out or double. Sveum wrecked his swing and his confidence. Maybe the message will finally get thru to these kids, work the count does not mean you need to take walks. When you make the pitcher come to you, your chances of getting a hit are better.

Look at Yady Molina and Cabrera. they rake when they only see 1-3 pitches. For some reason, all the kids are hearing is you have to walk.