• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buck Gone

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing being his birthday is unfortunate, but I'm happy they're looking to improve the team anyway they can. If this does some good then it's fine.

Sorry you got DFA'd on your birthday John Buck. Worse things can happen in the grand scheme of things though.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid thought, but do they look at Sucre (batting .346 over last 21 games) to see if he can be everyday catcher with Zunino (Jack move) on block for a bat or SP (Cubs for Castro and SP along with Walker?)

Sorry, it isn't easy trying to think like Jack. It makes me dizzy.
I'd want a hell of a lot more than Castro + a pitcher obviously not named Samardjzia (sp?) or Hammel for Walker and Zunino!

I don't think Zunino's on the trading block at all.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid thought, but do they look at Sucre (batting .346 over last 21 games) to see if he can be everyday catcher with Zunino (Jack move) on block for a bat or SP (Cubs for Castro and SP along with Walker?)

Sorry, it isn't easy trying to think like Jack. It makes me dizzy.

It would be really stupid. The Mariners pitching staff owes Zunino a lot of credit as he is one of the better pitch framing catchers in MLB. Behind the plate, Zunino is one of the best and he is young with room to improve at the plate. The fact that he now holds the Mariners record for most HRs before the All-Star break by a catcher sure is a good sign.

Zunino was rushed to the majors, the fact that he's this good behind the plate at this stage of his career is a really promising sign. Not to mention, he has a ton of raw potential at the plate with his natural strength.

Despite his .217 BA, Zunino is one of the few Mariners that I would not want to include in any trade package.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing being his birthday is unfortunate, but I'm happy they're looking to improve the team anyway they can. If this does some good then it's fine.

That's what I appreciate most about this year's team. For the most part you need perform to hold your spot. Almonte, Franklin, Ramirez, Smoak, etc weren't performing so they arent here. I personally love the change in attitude this year

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a few comments on LookoutLanding are interesting:

George Kottaras - Wouldn't excite me at all

or

There's a trade looming, involving young kids for players on the 40-man roster and the M's needed to open a spot.

Or it could be a straight swap of Buck for Sucre. Who knows?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The backups always seem to be the most popular guys on a team, whether it is with the fans or the starters or both. If Sucre is an upgrade over Buck on the field and not a feather ruffler off of it, the players may still not like that Buck got cut, but at least they'll understand the reason why he was cut. If he's worse than Buck on the field or a dick off of it (there's no indication that he is), it'll be difficult for the other players to understand the move.

If it's true that some of the pitchers were concerned with how Buck was receiving the ball and with his defense overall, and the coaching staff thinks Sucre is an improvement in those areas, then the other players will just have to get over the fact that Buck was DFA'd. The front office and coaching staff need to improve the roster wherever they can, whenever they can and they can't let how everybody feels about a certain player prevent them from doing that.

As far as what this means for Zunino... I doubt it changes anything. He's been an all-or-nothing guy with the bat this year, but his defense and his handling of the pitching staff is going to be what keeps him from getting benched or having his playing time reduced. Hopefully all this means is that, when he's not in there, we have someone in the game at catcher whose defense doesn't present a big drop-off from Zunino's.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a year that hasn't been very "Mariners", This move is just so Mariners. The timing and reasoning is just baffling. Can't imagine that it's just to bring up Sucre but it's the only thing that really makes sense. If it's a trade or a signing they wouldn't have to DFA him at least until the deal's announced.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it awesome to care about this team this much in July that we are debating about cutting the back up catcher. Does this mean were back?:suds:

It's been fun so far, lets see how they handle the second half.
I agree with NWfan about the timing and the chemistry, but at the same time I've seen Buck behind the dish miss some stuff in the dirt, or a backstop shot that could have been knocked down...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be really stupid. The Mariners pitching staff owes Zunino a lot of credit as he is one of the better pitch framing catchers in MLB. Behind the plate, Zunino is one of the best and he is young with room to improve at the plate. The fact that he now holds the Mariners record for most HRs before the All-Star break by a catcher sure is a good sign.

Zunino was rushed to the majors, the fact that he's this good behind the plate at this stage of his career is a really promising sign. Not to mention, he has a ton of raw potential at the plate with his natural strength.

Despite his .217 BA, Zunino is one of the few Mariners that I would not want to include in any trade package.

There is no way there off loading Zunino, there would be dumpster fires outside Safeco everyday until Jack Z is removed from the state, and personally I think Lloyd would walk. .217 BA for a second year player doesn't mean crap, he handles this pitching staff like a 5 yr pro, and isn't he tied with Seager in HR's on the club?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1m John Buck DFA'd

I don't understand the move either. We can speculate on this all day long. But the bottom line is that they may have just wanted a back up catcher who can hit right handed pitching better than Buck did. Zunino hits lefties well so he will always get the start against lefties. He owns a .197 BA against right handerrs in 317 career plate appearances. If McClendon wants to give him a day off, it will typically be against a right handed pitcher.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it really shouldn't be a big deal in any way

if for some reason the m's struggle for a couple of weeks, i have little doubt we'll see a lot of post hoc claims on here.

by the way, has anybody looked at divish's tweets? he's been answering some very interesting fan questions....such as the one about us signing smoak as a free agent, and therefore he doesn't have options???????? lol.

looks like the m's are now a bandwagon team. fucking weird.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way, has anybody looked at divish's tweets? he's been answering some very interesting fan questions....such as the one about us signing smoak as a free agent, and therefore he doesn't have options???????? lol.

I looked through those. Absolutely hilarious. My favorite one was the guy asking if "They were clearing out cap space to sign Soriano" haha.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard there is going to be a reverse affect on this. The players are going to play twice as hard and dedicate the season to Buck. They already promised him a ring.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard there is going to be a reverse affect on this. The players are going to play twice as hard and dedicate the season to Buck. They already promised him a ring.

They also promised to buy me a new Cessna Skyhawk and a hook up with Kate Upton.
They said something about you getting Scarlett Johansen.
Cezero is getting Debbbie Downer.
Logically Lethal is getting Nathan Lane.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also promised to buy me a new Cessna Skyhawk and a hook up with Kate Upton.
They said something about you getting Scarlett Johansen.
Cezero is getting Debbbie Downer.
Logically Lethal is getting Nathan Lane.

:suds:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4 page thread!!!! Alright here we go some controversy or big news...wait what, you mean were talking about the backup journey man catcher getting the boot?

Really, guys were getting worked up over this? "chemistry" ? Were winning games because our pitching staff is the best in baseball. If the backup catcher isn't helping that staff then bring in someone who can.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
darn you for quoting that turd

it's the only way i see its posts

Sorry, I will make a note of that for the future. :lol:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of has to be a move to make room on the roster for some type of deal doesn't it? At best Sucre would be a minimal upgrade and I can't even see a dude dumb as Jack screwing up the clubhouse for a backup. No way they are dealing for a catcher so if would point to them dealing for a RH bat. If they were making a deal with Walker in it then this move would be unnecessary.