• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks Offseason Thread

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Richards was a good signing IMO. Not the player he used to be but still very solid last season & a big reason for the Rangers' run to the SCF. He's as good 2nd or 3rd line center for the price, Hawks should be better with him on the team.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. He isn't 2004 Brad Richards but he's not 2014 Michal Handzus either.

I think this is a solid, low risk move for both parties. Richards gets to reestablish himself as a legitimate NHL player (shouldn't be hard with the talent Chicago has) and the Hawks get a 2C on the cheap. If it doesn't work out, both parties can walk as early as the trade deadline.

Win win.

Exactly. The reality is that he was never a good fit in NY from day 1. He still has more talent than we saw last year. Hopefully the Hawks can find a way to maximize it. And if not, like you said low cost, low risk move. Still waiting to see who get moved to get under the cap. Probably Oduya.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are about 2.2 over now, easy, Kris Versteeg. Trade off of Bollig and Versteeg for Richards at least leaves space for one AHLer to play more. They also reupped Regin for 650k, so they must have some idea.

Other news, Dave Bolland signed a five year deal with Florida, so his path back to the hawks might be laid as well.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are about 2.2 over now, easy, Kris Versteeg. Trade off of Bollig and Versteeg for Richards at least leaves space for one AHLer to play more. They also reupped Regin for 650k, so they must have some idea.

Other news, Dave Bolland signed a five year deal with Florida, so his path back to the hawks might be laid as well.

Moving Versteeg doesn't net them $2.2 mil, because they'd have to replace him with another body. Oduya at $3.375 mil could be replaced with Clendening or Dahlbeck and still get them under the Cap. Of course, they could move both.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. He isn't 2004 Brad Richards but he's not 2014 Michal Handzus either.

I think this is a solid, low risk move for both parties. Richards gets to reestablish himself as a legitimate NHL player (shouldn't be hard with the talent Chicago has) and the Hawks get a 2C on the cheap. If it doesn't work out, both parties can walk as early as the trade deadline.

Win win.

You hit the nail on the head in your first sentence.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Versteeg doesn't net them $2.2 mil, because they'd have to replace him with another body. Oduya at $3.375 mil could be replaced with Clendening or Dahlbeck and still get them under the Cap. Of course, they could move both.

I am considering one of the bodies already accounted for in the cap who are gonna be healthy scratches. It would leave 13 forwards, 7 dmen and two goaltenders. You already have two healthy scratches per game on that list with the two way contracts to make up the balance.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a reliable source, but maybe...

Rumor: Chicago-Ottawa Blockbuster Discussed

"Basic parameters of deal would be: Patrick Sharp and Nick Leddy to Ottawa for Colin Greening, Zack Smith and 2013 1st round selection, Curtis Lazar. I have heard of Hawk interest in Greening and Smith now from two separate sources in the U.S. and Canada."
-John Jaeckel

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks talking with the Rangers, who have cap space.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Hayes still not signed. Looking doubtful. If not signed or rights traded, compensation would be a low 2nd round pick in 2015. Rumor is he wants to play in the NHL next year. That won't be in Chicago. Calgary, with former teammate Johnny Gaudreau? Florida, with brother Jimmy?

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really hoping it's $9.5

$10.8 is just way too much, in my opinion.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you get to the point of how underpaid they had been over the past two or three seasons compared to others in the league.

Minnesota was able to lure Parise and Sutter away, offer both of them this kind of money, but the simple key that spoke so loudly to me from that article is my soapbox, Bowman HAS to trust the prospect pool.

He didnt trust it last year, chose to ship Jimmy Hayes and Brandon Pirri off to Florida with the mindset to get an old slow versteeg back that has no place on this team. He chose Runbland, Brookbank and Rosival over Olsen, Stanton and Clendening.

Might be better they force his hand with the big money and force him to use our system. For christs sakes, he is signing nhl ready college players, any swede that sticks his blonde hair up, maybe we finally get to see them play.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the nhl cap. Can you go over by resigning your own players? I think Kane and toews are confident that Chicagos farm system will continue to provide quality players. It's pretty jam packed with good prospects from what I hear.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand the nhl cap. Can you go over by resigning your own players? I think Kane and toews are confident that Chicagos farm system will continue to provide quality players. It's pretty jam packed with good prospects from what I hear.

The contract extensions don't go into effect until 2015/16. You can be up to 10% over the cap during the off-season, but have to be down to the cap limit by the start of the season.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some say they are front loaded, I doubt its 21 million over the 8 years though. they are making 6.3 now, getting to 7 then a half million per year might be decent raises and allow them to manage the cap. Also need to see what bonus dollars are in there for hart trophies and playoff mvps.

They need to keep enough room to take care of Saad next year, other than that, bring on the yutes.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$10.5 mil per. Ouch.

As I said previously, not sure what Toews is thinking, and why he seems to be okay with making an EQUAL amount of money as Kaner? Toews is worth so much more in my opinion. Although with the price on this new contract, I should phrase it that Kane is worth a lot less than Toews.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toews gets the job done, Kane does it with flash.

Pretty sure if both have spectacular seasons, Kane gets more MVP votes. He was in the running with his 14 or 15 game point streak.