• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BAMA Practice Notes

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a thief. Most all of this will be from a premium site:

Sims disputes the notion that McElroy was a "caretaker".

Three questions for Alabama quarterback Phillip Sims.

On the perception that Greg McElroy was a game manager, while Sims and A.J. McCarron are capable of making more big plays.

Sims: "I think it's an unfair assessment. I mean, he won a lot of football games. And I don't think any quarterback wins football games by going out there and not turning the ball over. You have to make some plays. The other team is not going to give you the football game; you have to win some games. So I think that's an unfair assessment. I do like to throw the ball down the field a little bit more but I'm not going to say that makes me a playmaker and him a caretaker. I think me, A.J. and Greg have some of the same attributes. It's the system we play in and I think it prepares us to win some football games."

Is there a fine line between ball security and wanting to take chances with your arm?

Sims: "Taking care of the football is all about decisions and timing. You have to know when and where to take your chances. Sometimes you might want to take a chance but the defense may not allow it and you've got to be smart enough to make the right decision. That doesn't mean you're not a playmaker, it just means you're smart with the football."

What kind of physical strides have you made since arriving at UA?

Sims: "I came in last spring at about 240. I'm down to about 205, 208 right now. I've dropped some weight and gotten in better shape. I still feel like I can spin the football the same way I did when I first got here. My accuracy and footwoork have improved so I feel that I've taken the neccessary steps to get on the field. Now its just up to me to get out there and make plays."

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ Although the University of Alabama’s fall camp is still in the early stages, it appears that two defensive newcomers being groomed to play immediately are linemen Jesse Williams and Quinton Dial.
Junior-college transfer Quinton Dial is looking to make an immediate impact at Alabama.

The junior-college transfers who were here for the spring have been frequently paired together on the second unit when reporters have been able to observe.

“Both of those guys are impressive guys,” junior defensive end Damion Square said Monday afternoon. “Coming from JUCO to ’Bama instead of high school they had a little more training, so the system is really the big part and not physicality. They’re getting real comfortable in the system.

“They’re really getting better out there every day.”

When asked what’s the one thing that jumps out about both Square said their size. Dial is listed at 6-foot-6, 294 pounds, while Williams is 6-3, 319.

“Both of them are extremely strong,” Square said. “Both are really big guys.”

Although Alabama has generally used a two-deep rotation on the line, more players figure to get into the mix this season and the Crimson Tide has plenty of candidates. As a result, even with Darrington Sentimore having recently left the Capstone, sophomore William Ming got his first look at outside linebacker Monday.

“We certainly have to do it by committee, I will say that,” Defensive coordinator Kirby Smart said during Sunday’s Media Day. “It’s hard to say when you have a Marcell Dareus-type because you can coach a long time and never coach someone that talented. It’s going to be done by committee. I hope, and I would like to think, that we are going to have more depth this year and only time will tell that. We hope that we can get it done through a different method by having a little more depth, playing some more guys and hoping some guys will step up.”

A difference between QBs

Phillip Sims (left) and A.J. McCarron are competing to be Alabama's starting quarterback.

While quarterbacks A.J. McCarron and Phillip Sims spent a lot of time during Media Day telling reporters how similar they are in style, their answers contrasted regarding one subject, how to deal with the spotlight.
Being from Mobile, McCarron had a pretty good idea coming in of what to expect, while Sims doesn’t really see the point in trying to avoid the attention.

“Not really, because it’s going to get to you no matter what,” Sims said. “You’re going hear about it, people are going to ask you questions no matter where you are. So I think running from it is only going to make things worse. Just face it. It’s a competition and everyone wants to know what’s going on. Embrace it and keep going with it.”

“I try not to get interviewed a lot,” McCarron said with a laugh. “It comes with the position. Everybody, especially at Alabama, wants to know who the quarterback is at all times. Me and Phillip, we know what’s going on and we don’t let any of that bother us. We’re out every day pushing each other to get better. We’re friends. It’s not a rival at all, no enemies. We don’t let that stuff get to us.”

Alabama’s first scrimmage of the fall will be Saturday, when both quarterbacks will try and take a step forward. Regardless, no one expects the competition to be resolved anytime soon.

They work hard,” senior wide receiver Brandon Gibson said. “They’re both competitive and they help each other out. They come out of practice with the same mentality and the same purpose, to come out and help the team.”

Tide-bits

Redshirt freshman DeAndrew White is already drawing a lot of attention at camp.

Redshirt freshman wide receiver DeAndrew White continues to draw a lot of attention during camp. “He’s a great guy,” Gibson said. “Very fast and has a lot of ability. He’s a guy who can make some big plays for us. We kind of help each other out, we can sustain in practice a lot longer in practice than most guys can. He’s in great shape.”

Although Alabama doesn’t have any former players likely to petition to be included, the NFL will hold its supplemental draft Aug. 17.

Square was able to head home to Houston only once during the offseason, shortly after the April 27th tornadoes. “Everyone wanted to know if it was really real,” he said. “Everyone wanted to know how I felt about it after they had seen it on the news. A lot of people take things for granted because a lot of things get spiced up or maybe underplayed. They wanted to know someone in the tornado and how it went down.” He told them: “It was extreme” and still prayers for the storm victims.

Gibson disclosed that he never got into video games because his mom threw his PlayStation II out the window after he wasn’t paying attention to what she was saying. Also, on a question about McCarron’s demeanor he said: “It’s funny you ask about that, we actually just got into an argument in the locker room.” It was over high school football in their hometown Mobile. McCarron went to St. Paul’s while Gibson was at rival UMS-Wright.

Alabama will don full pads for the first time during Tuesday’s practice at 2:30 p.m., before holding its first two-a-day Wednesday. All practices are closed to the public. “We have the same number of practice days we’ve always had,” Coach Nick Saban said. “I think they may be a little more spread out now which is probably a good thing especially here where heat is an issue. The opportunity to spread things out a little bit more is much better management for the health and safety of the players. We actually did it when you couldn’t do it. We were allowed 29 practices before the first game. Before they changed the rule of being able to spread it out more, we would only practice 24 or 25 times before the first game. We actually had more guys practice in 25 practices than we had in 29 before we started doing it. We actually submitted all the information to the NCAA so they would change the rules for the health and safety of the players. They saw the benefits from a medical standpoint in terms of the numbers of guys who got IV’s, injuries and had heat related problems and that’s how we got to where we are now.”

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ The heat index wasn’t quite as bad as the previous two days as the University of Alabama football team put on the pads for the first time during fall camp Tuesday.
Arie Kouandijo participates in a drill during spring workouts.

The heat index was at 97 degrees after being in triple digits. The Crimson Tide will hold its first two-a-day sessions Wednesday.

Redshirt freshman tackle Arie Kouandijo was back practicing with his left leg wrapped after riding a golf cart to the locker room during Sunday’s Fan Day at Bryant-Denny. He missed the start of Monday’s practice when reporters were allowed to observe, but joined teammates later on.

Incoming freshman wide receiver Duron Carter has yet to join the team as he has yet to be cleared academically.

Sophomore running back Eddie Lacy (pectoral) and redshirt freshman tight end Brian Volger were again in their usual white jerseys after wearing black no-contact jerseys Sunday. Also out of black was quarterback/running back Blake Sims, although he was throwing passes during the observation period.

True freshman Christion Jones lined up with the running backs again.

For the second straight day, sophomore William Ming was working with the outside linebackers after previously being with the defensive line.

Freshman offensive lineman Ryan Kelly was not at practice, while Isaac Luatua had a cast on his left wrist/hand.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the update... Glad to hear we have less players in "no contact" black.... First practice in pads today?

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
William Ming continues to work w/ LBs today. Thought he was a lock at DE.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ University of Alabama junior defensive end Undra Billingsley spent Tuesday in an area hospital due to an ailment that was not football-related.
Defensive end Undra Billingsley

“He just got ill last night in the dorm,” Coach Nick Saban said. “He’s in the hospital for tests. We don’t know how serious that is and we’re certainly sort of monitoring him day-to-day as well.”

Billingsley, who is hoping to be part of the defensive-line rotation, played in all 13 games last season on special teams and as a reserve defensive end. He made two tackles, one against San Jose State and the other vs. Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl.

Previous to that he was a tight end, seeing action in two games, and redshirted in 2008.

He fell ill after Alabama practiced in shoulder pads and shorts when it was unofficially 92 degrees, with a heat index of 103 in sunny conditions.

Injury report

As expected, the chances of freshman Dee Hart playing this season appear to be remote. After having knee surgery to repair an anterior cruciate ligament tear the running back isn’t expected to do any sort of running until November.

Although coaches aren’t ready to say he definitely won’t play, even under the best of circumstances he might only be available for a couple of games at the cost of a redshirt season.

Offensive linemen Arie Kouandijo and Ryan Kelly were both held out of Tuesday’s practices, but Saban said neither injury was major. After riding a cart to the locker room during Sunday’s Fan Day at Bryant-Denny Stadium, Kouandijo did attend the later stages of Monday’s practice and dressed for Tuesday’s workout with his left leg wrapped.

Carter update

Alabama is still hopeful of getting junior-college transfer Duron Carter academically cleared soon.

“We still haven’t gotten the information from (another school),” Saban said. “The issue is school at these places was out at about the same time we started. So to get grades posted and transcripts is the issue. That’s what we’re waiting for.

“We don’t know that there are any issues, but we have to get the information so can be admitted and can practice. We have lots of people working on it and I know Duron is a little bit frustrated because he feels like he did his part. He did the work and got it done early so he would hopefully get these done early. It didn’t work out from an administrative standpoint. I know his family is working on it, and our compliance people are working to try and get it done.”

Tide-bits

A group of high school football players from the Township of Nutley, N.J. (just west of East Rutherford), who have been volunteering in the area since Friday, were at practice Tuesday. The Tuscaloosa connection is through a volunteer assistant coach who is from here.

Alabama practiced in pads for the first time Tuesday. ““The incremental improvements on a daily basis this time of year is really significant, and I think it has been in each one of our practices,” Saban said. “I think yesterday’s practice was better than the day before. “Today’s practice, the first one in pads, was probably one of the better ones we have had. The intensity was better. The effort was better. The toughness was better. There are still a lot of areas that we need to improve on in terms of execution, but that is why we need 25 more practices to get ready for that first game.”

The Tide will hold its first two-a-day Wednesday, with workouts at 9:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. All practices are closed to the public.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A healthy Upshaw isn't what opposing offenses want to see.

Updating three areas of the Crimson Tide.

Outside linebacker

For starters: JLB Courtney Upshaw; SLB Jerrell Harris.
Next up: JLB Adrian Hubbard; SLB Alex Watkins.
What we know: Upshaw will attract plenty of attention not only in passing situations but in the run game as well. Hard to imagine many one on ones for Upshaw with offensive tackles as a pass rusher or tight ends when playing the run. In addition to being a starter in the base defense, Harris continues to see reps inside as a depth provider in the nickel and dime packages.
What we don't know: Will Watkins return to pre-injury form by the start of the season? He looks to be moving fairly well in agility drills, so it's reasonable to think he'll recover enough to have a role of some sort this fall.
The future: On the heels of an impressive spring performance, Hubbard is in line to replace Upshaw in a year's time. Physically, true freshman JLB Xzavier Dickson is a cross between Upshaw and Ed Stinson when they were freshmen. With Harris and Watkins entering their senior seasons, now is the time for Jonathan Atchison to position himself at SAM.

Offensive tackle

For starters: LT Barrett Jones; RT D.J. Fluker.
Next up: LT Cyrus Kouandjio/Tyler Love; RT Arie Kouandjio/Austin Shepherd.
What we know: Jones and Fluker continue to represent the Crimson Tide's top tackle combo. Jones spent the offseason getting better acquainted with the variety of pressure looks a left tackle encounters in pass protection. Fluker's body makeover has been nothing short of remarkabkle. He doesn't have left tackle agility but he's a devastating run blocker.
What we don't know: How quickly can Cyrus Kouandjio get up to speed at left tackle? By game week, he might be ready to start against Kent State. But that won't necessarily mean he's ready to start against Penn State.
The future: Depending on the NFL decisions of Jones and Fluker, the Kouandjio brothers could form the starting tandem as early as 2012.

Wide receiver

For starters:Darius Hanks; Marquis Maze.
Next up:DeAndrew White; Brandon Gibson.
What we know: Hanks and Maze represent virtually all of the past production at the position, but White is the guy people (Nick Saban, ESPN's Jesse Palmer, A.J.McCarron, etc...) continue to talk about. More important than his reception total in 2011 will be White's yards per catch average. He's got the required speed to get deep against SEC defenses. More so than White, though, the duo of Hanks and Maze will be counted on to up their respective production levels from previous seasons.
What we don't know: With Hanks out for the first two games of the season, the three-wide receiver set is anything but set. White and Gibson are likely candidates to move up in the rotation, leaving Kenny Bell and Kevin Norwood as the most realistic possibilities to fill out the top five. Of course, all of this is subject to change when/if Duron Carter joins the fold.
The future: Between White, Bell, Marvin Shinn, Bradley Sylve and Christion Jones (who's also seeing time at running back), there will be plenty of speed at these spots. Ideally, White will take a big step this fall and position himself as the No. 1 receiver for a rotation that will need to replace Maze and Hanks in 2012.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see J Harris is out of the dog house... kid has a lot of talent & ability, but I didn't think he was gonna make it through the "process"

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see J Harris is out of the dog house... kid has a lot of talent & ability, but I didn't think he was gonna make it through the "process"

He's fought his ass off to get back there.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ The University of Alabama football team opened its first two-a-day of the fall with a morning practice at the Thomas-Drew Practice Facility on Wednesday.
Cyrus Kouandijo

Junior defensive end Undra Billingsley did not participate in the workout after spending Tuesday in an area hospital due to an ailment that was not football-related.

Junior-college transfer Duron Carter has yet to join the team as he has yet to be cleared academically.

It appeared that redshirt freshman tackle Arie Kouandijo’s leg was no longer wrapped after sustaining a minor injury during Sunday’s Fan Day. However, during the observation period he watched drills while coaches concentrated on the first-two units.

Kouandijo’s brother Cyrus, a true freshman, appeared to be working exclusively with the second unit at left tackle.

Redshirt freshman Blake Sims again wore a white jersey like the other offensive players, but warmed up with the quarterbacks.

True freshman Christion Jones was back with the wide receivers after two days at running back. He's switched between the two positions all camp.

Sophomore Williams Ming’s move from defensive line to outside linebacker is beginning to look like it may be for good.

Freshman offensive lineman Ryan Kelly was absent for the second straight day.

Alabama will return to the practice fields at 7:30 p.m., and again at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. All workouts are closed to the public.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ If there was anything that surprised University of Alabama sophomore running back Eddie Lacy during the offseason, it was how fast word spread of his injury in late July.
Eddie Lacy is wearing a protective harness under his jersey to keep him from aggravating a pectoral strain.

Considering the position’s depth concerns, wildfire might be an understatement.

“I don’t even know how it got out so fast,” Lacy said. “I was in the weight room and the next thing I know it was all over the media and everything.”

While visiting with reporters between practices Wednesday, Lacy confirmed that the injury while bench pressing was just a pectoral strain. He wore a black, no-contact jersey during Sunday’s Fan Day at Bryant-Denny Stadium, but hasn’t been held back since.

Lacy will continue to wear a protective harness under his jersey to keep him from aggravating the injury for a couple more weeks. Meanwhile, he’s preparing to backup junior Trent Richardson, who is no longer wearing a support for his tweaked hamstring.

“I’ve improved mostly on by ball-handling,” Lacy said. “That was a concern for a lot of people. That’s what I’ve been working on all camp and what I’ll continue to work on.”

Lacy had 56 carries for 406 yards and six touchdowns last season, including 111 on 13 carries and two touchdowns against San Jose State, but also lost a fumble in that opener and again at Duke. Consequently, his self-proclaimed goal this season is to minimize turnovers.

The other thing he became known for in 2010 was his spin move. Some of his teammates call him “circle button” because that’s one executes it in video games.

“It’s just instincts,” Lacy said. “I’ll be running and see the outside open and spin out. There you go.”
New defensive line coach Chris Rumph (right) has been emphasizing fumbles and recoveries to players like Damion Square.

“I’ve been able to do it and over the year it just got better.”

Focus on fumble recoveries

Expect to hear a lot more talk from defensive players about forcing and recovering fumbles. Although Alabama led the SEC in turnover margin at plus-12, and was tied for the most interceptions with 22, it forced only nine fumbles with four recoveries and the only return was fumbled back.

“Our obvious goal for the offseason is to improve in turnovers,” defensive coordinator Kirby Smart said. “We were 118 out of 120 in forcing fumbles. When you look at the turnover stats, it’s a little misleading because we had a lot of interceptions, but we did not force many fumbles. That’s usually indicative of big contact and people ripping the ball out. We have to improve sacks and tackles for loss. That is one of the big goals and a big emphasis for us this year.

“I felt like we were really good in the red area last year, and that kind of saved a young defense. We had two big turnovers against Florida, one big one against Arkansas and a big one against Tennessee, so we saved ourselves in the red area by playing well and protected a young defense. Statistically, we overachieved, but in big games we did not play as well as we should have. We let ourselves down, and that should be changed this year. We expect to have a better year this year.”

When asked if fumbles were a point of emphasis from coaches, junior defensive end Damion Square said: “Big time.”

“Things like that, that’s what wins championships.”

No one on Hendricks list

Alabama didn't have any anyone on the watch list for Ted Hendricks Award, which is given annually to the nation's top defensive end. Only three SEC players were among the 35 candidates listed Wednesday afternoon: Jake Bequette of Arkansas, Devin Taylor of South Carolina and DeAngelo Tyson of Georgia.

Alabama has 34 names on various preseason watch lists.

Heisman Trophy: Finalists announced Dec. 5.
Maxwell Award (outstanding player): Trent Richardson named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Oct. 31.
Walter Camp Award (Player of the year): Trent Richardson named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Nov. 15.

Bednarik Award (defensive player): Mark Barron, Dont’a Hightower, Dre Kirkpatrick, Robert Lester and Courtney Upshaw named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Oct. 31.
Fred Biletnikoff Award (wide receiver): Duron Carter, Darius Hanks and Marquis Maze named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Nov. 14.
Burlsworth Trophy (walk-on): TBA.
Butkus Award (linebacker): Nico Johnson, Dont’a Hightower and Courtney Upshaw named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Oct. 24.
William Campbell Trophy (scholar-athlete, formerly known as the Draddy Trophy): Semifinalists announced Sept. 29.
Paul Hornung Award (most versatile): Trent Richardson and Marquis Maze named to watch list. Finalists named in early December.
Rotary Lombardi Award (lineman): Dont’a Hightower, Barrett Jones, Courtney Upshaw and William Vlachos named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Oct. 27.
Lott Trophy (defensive impact player): Mark Barron and Dont’a Hightower named to watch list. Quarterfinalists named in October.
John Mackey Award (tight end): Michael Williams named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Nov. 14.
Manning Award (quarterback, includes bowls): Watch list to be announced in August.
Bronko Nagurski Award (defensive player): Mark Barron, Dont'a Hightower, Dre Kirkpatrick, Robert Lester and Courtney Upshaw named to watch list. Finalists announced Nov. 17.
Outland Trophy (interior lineman): Barrett Jones and William Vlachos named to watch list. Finalists announced Nov. 21.
Rimington Trophy (center): William Vlachos named to watch list. Finalists Dec. 5.
Jim Thorpe Award (defensive back): Mark Barron, Dre Kirkpatrick and Robert Lester named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Oct. 31.
Doak Walker Award (running back): Trent Richardson named to watch list. Semifinalists announced Nov. 11.
Wuerffel Trophy (community service with outstanding achievement): Finalists announced in November.

Awards Alabama is not up for
Lou Groza Award (kicker)
Ray Guy Award (punter)
Davey O'Brien Award (quarterback).
Unitas Golden Arm (senior quarterback).
Ted Hendricks Award (defensive end).

Tide-bits

Junior cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick on senior linebacker Courtney Upshaw: “He’s a beast, he’s aggressive and he also communicates with us. There may be certain plays I may know I have to go on the outside, but it may change up based on the formation and he’s looking back telling me.”
According to junior safety Will Lowery, the toughest thing about trying to stop redshirt freshman quarterback/running back Blake Sims is his elusiveness. “It’s tough to get a hand on him.”

Count senior nose tackle Josh Chapman among those who’s impressed with the new collection of players who arrived over the summer. “I don’t think we have ever had a group that has picked things up this quickly. Especially on the defensive line where we have a few guys that are learning fast and are hungry to learn.”

If Lacy could pick anyone on the roster to provide a goal-line block, he wants sophomore running back Jalston Fowler. “He’s strong,” said Lacy, but he’s also been impressed with Fowler’s strides as a ball carrier. “He’s stepped up a lot. He’s a lot like me and Trent.”

Alabama will conclude its first two-a-day Wednesday night, and return to the practice field at 2:30 p.m. Thursday. It’ll hold its first fall scrimmage on Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium. All practices are closed to the public. As for what players like to do between two-a-days, naps are pretty popular. “Absolutely,” Lowery said.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, the Fred Biletnikoff Award (wide receiver): Duron Carter, wouldn't he have to actual get to Tuscaloosa to win that thing. Hell, the way things are going I wish Duron would take a red shirt.

And Lacy says he's been working on his ball handling, I wonder if we could modify that protective harness to protect the ball too.... Roll Tide

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, the Fred Biletnikoff Award (wide receiver): Duron Carter, wouldn't he have to actual get to Tuscaloosa to win that thing. Hell, the way things are going I wish Duron would take a red shirt.

And Lacy says he's been working on his ball handling, I wonder if we could modify that protective harness to protect the ball too.... Roll Tide

Yeah, I worry about Lacy's fumbleitis. It's not like we have a lot of options at rb. All he has to do is carry the ball higher. Tiki Barber fumbled every 5 or 6 carries early in his career. Changed the way he carried the ball and fumbled just a couple of times his last 2 or 3 years. Lacy will not be on the field if he can't hang on to the ball. CNS would put Fluker back there if he had to.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ The University of Alabama football team closed out its first two-a-day of the fall with an workout under much cooler conditions Wednesday evening. The team practiced in shorts and shoulder pads after being in full pads in the morning.

Junior-college transfer Duron Carter has yet to join the team as he has yet to be cleared academically.

Junior defensive end Undra Billingsley missed both Wednesday practices after spending Tuesday in an area hospital due to an ailment that was not football-related.

Redshirt freshman tackle Arie Kouandijo’s leg was no longer wrapped after sustaining a minor injury during Sunday’s Fan Day. Kouandijo’s brother Cyrus, a true freshman, continues to work exclusively with the second unit when reporters are allowed to observe.

Junior running back Trent Richardson was again wearing a support to protect his tweaked hamstring. Redshirt freshman Blake Sims remained in a white jersey like the other offensive players, but warmed up with the quarterbacks.

True freshman Christion Jones was back with the running backs after being with wide receivers in the morning. Freshman offensive lineman Ryan Kelly was absent for the second straight day.

Alabama will return to the practice fields at 2:30 p.m. Thursday and hold another two-a-day Friday. All workouts are closed to the public.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ A number of contingency plans kicked in as a couple of mainstay players were not at practice Thursday afternoon.

University of Alabama junior linebacker Dont’a Hightower was notably missing, although a school spokesman downplayed it and said that Coach Nick Saban will address the absence later today. Senior Chris Jordan was working in his place.

Hightower has been taping his right hand since Sunday's Fan Day practice.

Also not on the field during the observation period was senior center William Vlachos, who has started 27 straight games. Junior Barrett Jones, a two-year starter at right guard who has been working at left tackle during camp, lined up at center with true freshman Cyrus Kouandijo apparently getting his first look at left tackle with the first unit.

Backing Kouandijo up at left tackle was his older brother, Arie.
There was still no sign of junior-college transfer Duron Carter, who has yet to be cleared academically. Also out were junior defensive end Undra Billingsley and true freshman offensive lineman Ryan Kelly.

Junior running back Trent Richdardson was again wearing a support to protect his tweaked hamstring. Redshirt freshman Blake Sims remained in a white jersey like the other offensive players, but warmed up with the quarterbacks.

True freshman Christion Jones practiced with the running backs. He’s been practicing both there and wide receiver.

Alabama hold another two-a-day Friday and its first fall scrimmage Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium. All workouts are closed to the public.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TUSCALOOSA _ The University of Alabama football team practiced without one of its returning captains on Thursday due to junior linebacker Dont’a Hightower being diagnosed with a fracture in his left hand.

The injured area had been bothering him since Sunday’s Fan Day at Bryant-Denny Stadium, and Hightower had been grabbing and shaking the affected area during the observation period of practice, and having it re-taped.

“Dont’a had a fracture in his hand,” Coach Nick Saban announced. “They did a little surgical procedure today. He’ll probably be ready to come back and practice tomorrow.

“It’s not even as bad as Julio’s hand was. He doesn’t even know how he did it to be honest with you.”

Julio Jones sustained a hand fracture at South Carolina last season, but stayed in the game and made eight receptions for 118 yards including an 8-yard touchdown. After undergoing surgery to install a metal plate he returned to practice and briefly played the following week only to be pulled as a precaution after an 8-yard reception. The subsequent game he set records with 12 catches for 221 yards.

Senior Chris Jordan took Hightower’s place during drills.

“It’s nothing,” junior middle linebacker Nico Johnson said, adding that Hightower has been having a good camp: “I would say he’s back to the normal Dont’a. He’s flying around. He’s beating me to the ball and I’m a fast person I like to think.”

Meanwhile, Saban said that senior center William Vlachos, who has made 27 straight starts, was sick Thursday after Alabama held its first two-a-day sessions Wednesday. Coaches used the opportunity to get junior Barrett Jones some snaps at center and true freshman Cyrus Kouandijo his first significant time with the first unit at left tackle.

“I’m pretty impressed,” sophomore guard Anthony Steen said. “I know he’s a good guy and a good athlete and he’s got a bright future ahead.”

Backing Kouandijo up at left tackle was his older brother, Arie.

Saban also disclosed that junior defensive end Undra Billingsley has not recovered from the undisclosed ailment that landed him in the hospital Tuesday, and true freshman offensive lineman Ryan Kelly has been out with a concussion.

Plugging away

In his first session with reporters at Alabama, Steen said that he’s much more prepared to be on the field than a year ago, but admitted to feeling “Shock” when Barrett Jones slid over to left tackle near the end of spring.

He also replaced Jones for two games last season after the two-time Academic All-American sustained an ankle sprain against Mississippi State.

“I think Barrett being hurt wasn’t best for the team, but it helped me to become more of a man and understand the plays better and understand the game more,” Steen said.

He adding specifically about Auburn: “Going against Nick Fairley was tough, but I wish I could do it again to tell you the truth. Just getting beat that one time really sucked. But I can’t go back and do it. So I’m looking ahead to the future.”

Steen, who won the Ozzie Newsome Most Improved Freshman Award in the spring, has been working with the first unit at right guard, Jones’ usual spot. He redshirted the 2009 season.

Saban likes APR rule

Although he hadn’t seen specifics yet, Saban supports the new rule that teams must have an Academic Progress Rate score of 930 to participate in the postseason.

Although the higher standard wouldn’t have affected any Crimson Tide teams last year, more than 100 in various sports would have been ineligible including the men’s basketball championship team from Connecticut.

“I think it’s everyone’s responsibility to go to school and get an education,” Saban said. “That’s part of our program here. I don’t see it being really a big issue if players are held accountable relative to what their responsibility is in getting an education. There are really some compelling statistics about these guys wanting to play in the NFL, and something like 74 percent of those who make a team don’t play more than three years. So there are not many guys who make a living playing ball.

“There are a few, and we all read about the five or six first-round draft picks we’ve had around here the last couple of years, but for 98 percent of the guys in this program they definitely need to get an education. I think they all need it, even if they play twelve years and get into the Hall of Fame, they have to do something some other time in their life. The only way you can do that is by getting an education.”

The Alabama football team’s APR (which is a measure of eligibility and retention that was developed as an early indicator of eventual graduation rates) was a near-perfect 994 last year, with a four-year score of 963.

Tide-bits

Johnson thinks this year’s defense has a chance to be better than 2009’s. “They won that championship that year, so we’re going to try and get there.” He also estimated that the defense pulled out 30 fumbles, which has been a point of emphasis, during the spring.

Coaches have been telling players that the defense usually doesn’t do well during the fall scrimmages. “Coming in to camp we’ve been telling the offense that we’re going to be bringing it this scrimmage,” linebacker C.J. Mosley said. Additionally, the sophomore reported to camp with 10 more pounds of bulk from a year ago and hopes to play at that 235 weight.

Saban on junior long-snapper Carson Tinker dealing with the death of his girlfriend Ashley Harrison during the April 27th tornado: “We’ve done everything we can to help Carson in every way, medically and emotionally, psychology. He’s a pretty tough guy, a well-grounded young man who has persevered all this about as well as anyone can expect. He’s out there every day in practice and you would never know anything ever happened even though we all know it did.”

Alabama will hold a two-a-day Friday, at 9:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., followed by its first fall scrimmage on Saturday. All practices are closed to the public.

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice Report Fri morn

TUSCALOOSA _ Less than 24 hours after having a procedure to repair his fractured left hand, University of Alabama junior linebacker Dont’a Hightower was back at practice Friday morning.
Dont'a Hightower practicing earlier this week.

The repaired area was well protected as the Crimson Tide began its second two-a-day of fall camp inside the Hank Crisp Facility.

Junior defensive end Undra Billingsley was also back at practice after falling ill Monday and undergoing tests at a hospital the following day.

However, senior center William Vlachos was out sick for the second straight day. Junior Barrett Jones, a two-year starter at right guard who has been working at left tackle during camp, lined up at center during the observation period with true freshman Cyrus Kouandijo at left tackle with the first unit.

Reporters also saw a drill in which sophomore D.J. Fluker was at left tackle with Kouandijo lined up outside of him, and redshirt freshman Arie Kounandijo at right tackle with the first unit.

There was still no sign of junior-college transfer Duron Carter, who has yet to be cleared academically, and true freshman offensive lineman Ryan Kelly remains out due to a concussion.

Junior running back Trent Richardson continues to wear a support to protect his tweaked hamstring. Redshirt freshman Blake Sims remained in a white jersey like the other offensive players, but warmed up with the quarterbacks.

True freshman Christion Jones practiced again with the running backs.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sent to me by a friend.....

***Make no mistake about it - Phillip Sims has come out swinging in the much ballyhooed quarterback battle for Alabama's starting job this fall. Sources who have seen Sims in action during early summer practices say that the former Virginia prep star is honed in and throwing better than ever. His work in the film room has also paid off as sources say that the playbook knowledge gap between AJ McCarron and Sims has been negated and it is down to who makes the better decisions more consistently. Those same sources believe Alabama can win with either player behind center, and both players are expected to log playing time early.

Phillip Sims has had a great fall camp.
***Tide star Trent Richardson isn't logging his usual workload in early scrimmage work due to two things: 1) The coaches know what he can do; and 2) They want him to be 100 percent going into Kent State. Richardson has been heavily wrapped during early work to allow some minor bangs and bruises to heal up, he is as focused as ever to turn in a special season.
***DeAndrew White has become the betting favorite to line up alongside Marquis Maze and Darius Hanks (after game two) when the Tide goes to three-wide, and sources tell us that several other young receivers - including true freshmen - have also stepped up. Kevin Norwood has made some great early catches and the Tide staff has been very impressed with Marvin Shinn who still needs to add muscle and strength to avoid being jammed up by SEC corners. Tide senior Brandon Gibson is also expected to be heavily in the rotation. At this point, Maze, Hanks, White and Gibson look to get the most early looks in the rotation.
***The Alabama coaching staff is giving five-star 2011 signee Cyrus Kouandjio every opportunity to win the start left tackle job, and it isn't out of charity. Kouandjio is that good and has had flashes of greatness even after just a few practices at the Capstone. Kouandjio's pass-blocking is probably a little ahead of his run-blocking at this point, but his freakish athleticism for his size is allowing him to mask most glaring mistakes. Kouadnjio winning the left tackle job immediately strengthens the OL and gives new OL coach Jeff Stoutland a lot of options, allowing Barrett Jones to move back to his more natural guard position and gives UA three guys (including Anthony Steen and Chance Warmack) that they can win with at guard. William Vlachos and D.J. Fluker are entrenched at center and right tackle, obviously.
***Speaking of Steen, the mauler from Mississippi is the Tide's best run blocker and most physical lineman. Steen is probably a little ahead of Warmack at this point although everything depends on Kouandjio's development at left tackle.
***Practice observers are raving about the potential of true freshman defensive end/Jack linebacker Xzavier Dickson. Dickson should play this season, and at worst could be a special teams/third down terror. Alabama would love to develop a couple of young Jack linebackers to spell Courtney Upshaw and to ready for life after the senior All-SEC defender.
***And speaking of Upshaw, the word from practice observers has been "unblockable."
****Alabama is really excited about the possibilities that redshirt freshman Blake Sims brings to the table. Don't look for Sims to be an emergency quarterback. Expect him to log time in the Wildcat, under center as a traditional quarterback (as his throwing accuracy has improved greatly), at running back and even receiver. Simply put, Sims is electric with the ball in his hands and could be a defensive coordinator's nightmare.
****Time for JUCO signee Jesse Williams to step up soon. It looks like at this point that fellow JUCO star Quinton Dial has entrenched himself into logging regular playing time at one end spot. Williams basically had a lost spring due to injury recovery and acclimation to yet another long distance move, but Tide sources believe that once everything comes together for the big Australian, he will be difficult to deal with for opposing offensive linemen.

Sims is electric with the ball in his hands.
***Although junior wide receiver Michael Bowman has made some eye-popping plays and has flashed some of the potential that made him a highly coveted recruit out of high school, that hasn't translated into consistent high-level play, and until that happens, expect his playing time to be limited.
***Alabama's defensive corp has been as expected so far - hard to run on, hard to pass on and extremely physical. If one were to be nitpicky, the only real holes have been the lack of a dominant presence at nose tackle and fewer than desired pass-rushing threats at defensive end.
***UA's depth is so strong at safety right now, that Jarrick Williams and Nick Perry could likely start for 80 percent of the other teams in the SEC. :peace2:

JTEGGER

T-Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sent to me by a friend.....

***Make no mistake about it - Phillip Sims has come out swinging in the much ballyhooed quarterback battle for Alabama's starting job this fall. Sources who have seen Sims in action during early summer practices say that the former Virginia prep star is honed in and throwing better than ever. His work in the film room has also paid off as sources say that the playbook knowledge gap between AJ McCarron and Sims has been negated and it is down to who makes the better decisions more consistently. Those same sources believe Alabama can win with either player behind center, and both players are expected to log playing time early.

Phillip Sims has had a great fall camp.
***Tide star Trent Richardson isn't logging his usual workload in early scrimmage work due to two things: 1) The coaches know what he can do; and 2) They want him to be 100 percent going into Kent State. Richardson has been heavily wrapped during early work to allow some minor bangs and bruises to heal up, he is as focused as ever to turn in a special season.
***DeAndrew White has become the betting favorite to line up alongside Marquis Maze and Darius Hanks (after game two) when the Tide goes to three-wide, and sources tell us that several other young receivers - including true freshmen - have also stepped up. Kevin Norwood has made some great early catches and the Tide staff has been very impressed with Marvin Shinn who still needs to add muscle and strength to avoid being jammed up by SEC corners. Tide senior Brandon Gibson is also expected to be heavily in the rotation. At this point, Maze, Hanks, White and Gibson look to get the most early looks in the rotation.
***The Alabama coaching staff is giving five-star 2011 signee Cyrus Kouandjio every opportunity to win the start left tackle job, and it isn't out of charity. Kouandjio is that good and has had flashes of greatness even after just a few practices at the Capstone. Kouandjio's pass-blocking is probably a little ahead of his run-blocking at this point, but his freakish athleticism for his size is allowing him to mask most glaring mistakes. Kouadnjio winning the left tackle job immediately strengthens the OL and gives new OL coach Jeff Stoutland a lot of options, allowing Barrett Jones to move back to his more natural guard position and gives UA three guys (including Anthony Steen and Chance Warmack) that they can win with at guard. William Vlachos and D.J. Fluker are entrenched at center and right tackle, obviously.
***Speaking of Steen, the mauler from Mississippi is the Tide's best run blocker and most physical lineman. Steen is probably a little ahead of Warmack at this point although everything depends on Kouandjio's development at left tackle.
***Practice observers are raving about the potential of true freshman defensive end/Jack linebacker Xzavier Dickson. Dickson should play this season, and at worst could be a special teams/third down terror. Alabama would love to develop a couple of young Jack linebackers to spell Courtney Upshaw and to ready for life after the senior All-SEC defender.
***And speaking of Upshaw, the word from practice observers has been "unblockable."
****Alabama is really excited about the possibilities that redshirt freshman Blake Sims brings to the table. Don't look for Sims to be an emergency quarterback. Expect him to log time in the Wildcat, under center as a traditional quarterback (as his throwing accuracy has improved greatly), at running back and even receiver. Simply put, Sims is electric with the ball in his hands and could be a defensive coordinator's nightmare.
****Time for JUCO signee Jesse Williams to step up soon. It looks like at this point that fellow JUCO star Quinton Dial has entrenched himself into logging regular playing time at one end spot. Williams basically had a lost spring due to injury recovery and acclimation to yet another long distance move, but Tide sources believe that once everything comes together for the big Australian, he will be difficult to deal with for opposing offensive linemen.

Sims is electric with the ball in his hands.
***Although junior wide receiver Michael Bowman has made some eye-popping plays and has flashed some of the potential that made him a highly coveted recruit out of high school, that hasn't translated into consistent high-level play, and until that happens, expect his playing time to be limited.
***Alabama's defensive corp has been as expected so far - hard to run on, hard to pass on and extremely physical. If one were to be nitpicky, the only real holes have been the lack of a dominant presence at nose tackle and fewer than desired pass-rushing threats at defensive end.
***UA's depth is so strong at safety right now, that Jarrick Williams and Nick Perry could likely start for 80 percent of the other teams in the SEC. :peace2:

Good stuff