• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft: The Quarterback Class

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have elite running ability for a QB, but that frame as a RB is far from ideal. People are already questioning that frame for a QB, let alone a RB.
I don’t think he was talking about frame so the running back comment was probably worded badly. He could have just said, “the next Mahomes but also an elite runner”. Which kinda makes sense. The guy can make every throw and extremely athletic but I think that is basically Caleb. I think Jayden is more or a dynamic runner than Caleb. Both have underrated speed and I think since they both didn’t run the 40 we can’t see that speed other than on film

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be the only person not enamored with this class.
It does seem like Williams and Daniels are in their own tier.

I am not sure if there's a Mahomes or Love in this draft -- guys with great physical tools, praised for their leadership skills, but were seen as raw / turnover prone due to their lack of a strong defense or plausible offensive weapons.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a clear top 2 and I think Maye is more of a project
Caleb Williams is also a project but its a different kinda of project. The reason Jayden Daniels isnt a project is because he is a year older and used that year to learn to process the game. The Commanders and Patriots aren't winning the Super Bowl next year.

According to PFF, JJ McCarthy had more turnover worthy plays than Drake Maye and he was on a stacked team and barely threw the ball. Thats the guy I'd be terrified of drafting.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like Williams and Daniels are in their own tier.

I am not sure if there's a Mahomes or Love in this draft -- guys with great physical tools, praised for their leadership skills, but were seen as raw / turnover prone due to their lack of a strong defense or plausible offensive weapons.

I don't think they're in the same tier. Caleb's in a tier all his own.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to PFF, JJ McCarthy had more turnover worthy plays than Drake Maye and he was on a stacked team and barely threw the ball. Thats the guy I'd be terrified of drafting.

Yeah, the JJ love is still odd to me. Leap of faith.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they're in the same tier. Caleb's in a tier all his own.
I still have Daniels as QB1. Williams is QB2 for me. Both men have terrific arms strength. Throws the football with great touch and fit the ball into tight windows. Both have some wheels. On the improvement side, I think they need to do better in the turnover territory.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caleb Williams is also a project but its a different kinda of project. The reason Jayden Daniels isnt a project is because he is a year older and used that year to learn to process the game. The Commanders and Patriots aren't winning the Super Bowl next year.

After seeing McCarthy throw at the combine (which I am glad he did), I am not really sure if I am seeing a franchise guy in him. He looks good, solid.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have Daniels as QB1. Williams is QB2 for me. Both men have terrific arms strength. Throws the football with great touch and fit the ball into tight windows. Both have some wheels. On the improvement side, I think they need to do better in the turnover territory.

I just can't. I like Daniels, but he has one season of elite production. Caleb has been consistently great for all three seasons, the only drop off was his rushing his final yards year. Saying they both "have some wheels" is unfair to Daniels who far exceeds Caleb in that department as a much more willing and explosive runner.

Turnovers haven't been an issue for either other than Caleb's fumbles, which spiked this season.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Daniels but he still has boom or bust potential. I think Caleb has the higher floor. I could definitely see Daniels being the better of the two in a couple years but I still have Caleb as my QB1

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. At least 2-3 times a game JJ will make throws over the middle completely not seeing that there's an underneath defender.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't. I like Daniels, but he has one season of elite production. Caleb has been consistently great for all three seasons, the only drop off was his rushing his final yards year. Saying they both "have some wheels" is unfair to Daniels who far exceeds Caleb in that department as a much more willing and explosive runner.

Turnovers haven't been an issue for either other than Caleb's fumbles, which spiked this season.
Which season are you referring to?

2022 - averaged 7.5 yards per attempt, 28 TDs to 3 Interceptions, averaged 271 yards per game, 10-4 record (SEC division champs, Bowl winners)
2023 - averaged 11.7 yards per attempt, 50 tds to 4 interceptions, averaged 412 yards per game, 9-3 record

He had two terrific seasons. Not just one. We also saw a revolution in his ability to throw the football.

Like I have said before, we shouldn't be judging a prospect purely based on stat sheet. If we did, Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford should be Hall of Famers. Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold put up better stats than Josh Allen.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2022 - averaged 7.5 yards per attempt, 28 TDs to 3 Interceptions, averaged 271 yards per game, 10-4 record (SEC division champs, Bowl winners)
2023 - averaged 11.7 yards per attempt, 50 tds to 4 interceptions, averaged 412 yards per game, 9-3 record

He had two terrific seasons. Not just one. We also saw a revolution in his ability to throw the football.

Like I have said before, we shouldn't be judging a prospect purely based on stat sheet. If we did, Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford should be Hall of Famers. Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold put up better stats than Josh Allen.

In 2022, he had 17/3 passing, not elite. In 2023, he had 40/4, elite. I didn't say he was awful the other years. Clear final year spike.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Daniels 2022 season counts as great then Drake Maye has also had 2 great years with notably less talent. I think we know who the top 3 picks are.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2022, he had 17/3 passing, not elite. In 2023, he had 40/4, elite. I didn't say he was awful the other years. Clear final year spike.
2023 was much better than 2022. ESPN's QBR stats have him #18 in 2022. But why would you claim he was a one-hit wonder? The guy had two seasons of high production. I am not sure why you would view this as a negative. He improved every year. LSU made it to the SEC champion game in 2022, because of his play against Alabama.

But as I have said before, I do not judge quarterbacks purely based on stats. I look at how well they throw the football. Stat champions do not necessarily make the best NFL prospects.