• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft discussion thread

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take a rare exception to your clear-eyed analysis - there is plenty of money for the Broncos to pay another $40 million or more for a QB on top of Wilson and other needs. This is because the current contracts are in great shape - other than Wilson - the Broncos have a shjt pile of money they could move around - the question is how much of the future are the Broncos willing to push down the road?
I will point out I specified "cap space" (the spelling of which was atrocious, I'll grant you) and not money.

Its funny, DC texted me saying this weekend Wal-Mart converted 75 million of Wilson's base salary to a signing bonus, which would have been great - were it true. Sadly, this false rumor (or more likely his being duped by it) led to a weekend of binge drinking with friends and poor choices as a sports venue attendee, but I fear I've said too much.

My point for now is that while there are funds for sure, I don't know how much liquidity there is, especially with ticket prices going up another 8% this year. Why raise prices on a subpar product?(Its always been interesting to me how much they brag about the sellout streak, yet leave thousands of empty seats unfilled and inventory on shelves because of this... But anyway...) Much less whether or not they're considering that kind of bailout.

Until (gladly) proven otherwise, I'm saying Paton and Payton still have significant hoops to jump through.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to be missing the point that Payton harps on every time he's interviewed. He wants to run his full offense, and he wants a qb smart enough to do it as well. And frankly, we don't have the capbspace to hope it comes in the form of a top fa qb.
This 100%! The only FA QB I think could do it is Cousins and he is going to demand a lot of money, is in his late 30's and is coming off a major injury.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like turtles GIF

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will point out I specified "cap space" (the spelling of which was atrocious, I'll grant you) and not money.

Its funny, DC texted me saying this weekend Wal-Mart converted 75 million of Wilson's base salary to a signing bonus, which would have been great - were it true. Sadly, this false rumor (or more likely his being duped by it) led to a weekend of binge drinking with friends and poor choices as a sports venue attendee, but I fear I've said too much.

My point for now is that while there are funds for sure, I don't know how much liquidity there is, especially with ticket prices going up another 8% this year. Why raise prices on a subpar product?(Its always been interesting to me how much they brag about the sellout streak, yet leave thousands of empty seats unfilled and inventory on shelves because of this... But anyway...) Much less whether or not they're considering that kind of bailout.

Until (gladly) proven otherwise, I'm saying Paton and Payton still have significant hoops to jump through.
Here's your cash - pay attention. :)

Outside of Wilson the Broncos have a lot of contracts they can convert to bonus money - maybe up to 20. But first the Broncos need to figure out who they want to keep and maybe who can they trade.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to be missing the point that Payton harps on every time he's interviewed. He wants to run his full offense, and he wants a qb smart enough to do it as well. And frankly, we don't have the capbspace to hope it comes in the form of a top fa qb.
"Smart" is the key world here .... Yes, veteran savvy and experience is important, however, processing and smarts is not exclusive to vet QBs ..

"Smarts" can be turbocharged by dedication and the burning competitive spirit .... Paxton Lynch, for example, seemed to be completely void of this ..

The desire to learn and be great is what really make a QB succeed

This is why I hate it when QBs decline to play in bowl games, and even opt out of on field activities at the combine ...

It is that competitive fire that makes a player great, and can make a smart person a smart player

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's your cash - pay attention. :)

Outside of Wilson the Broncos have a lot of contracts they can convert to bonus money - maybe up to 20. But first the Broncos need to figure out who they want to keep and maybe who can they trade.
That’s a lot of taxes to be paid.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s a lot of taxes to be paid.
Capital Gains tax is still only 15% - it's not like a tax you would have to pay if you made your money by heavy labor.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have no idea how much I love you guys and turtles and if you have a turtle, I love you even more.