• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft discussion thread

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix and Nix really did nothing to help themselves during SR bowl practices. Both are day 2 picks, IMO.

Unless the Falcons, Vikings, Broncos or Raiders are in love with one of them. QB's shoot up the draft board well beyond their individual value. We'll see what (if anything) the Broncos do to shore up the QB position in free agency but they can't go into next season with Stidham, IMO.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah. Trading up and down after the top 4 is a question of most teams and Chargers make a lot of sense to move down (as of right now) depends on how jockying for draft stock goes as the draft gets closer.

Bowers is probably the trickiest top 10 projected player to project right now... Could see him as high as #5 to the Chargers or slip to double digits. If he slips I would think a team like the Colts would be a prime possibility to make a slight move up for him. Position of need, young QB who needs another weapon to add to his development. Saints would be another team making a move up if he falls.

With Mike Williams being a FA, Keenan Allen with a heavy cap hit combined with age and Quentin Johnston not having a great rookie year I would think WR would be a strong possibility for the Chargers. They still have Josh Palmer but the odds are Williams walks and who knows what they will do with Allen. He wants to stay but his cap hit is going to be far less.
As far as the Chargers at 5 are concerned, if there is no QB4 that teams are in love with then they might not have a trade down partner. WR seems really easy to mock at the Chargers but WR is a deep enough spot that they might think they can grab one in rd2. The problem with the Chargers is that I think they tried to draft Mike Williams' replacement last year in Q Johnson and he stinks. Mike Williams, imo, is the most likely overpay I'd make of all of the older expensive Chargers players since Bosa is hurt every year and Allen is older. I feel that WR, Edge, and CB being major needs on the Chargers kinda limits their ability to improvise all that much imo. In theory, the Chargers could overpay Keenan Allen to bring him back one more year, have Bowers as their #2 and have Q Johnson as their #3 option on offense. I personally dont like that. If I'm the Chargers, I really want a pass rusher tbh. I'm just not sure one is there.

My gut says Bowers should go around pick 20. I suspect I'm wrong but if no one else's opinion was influencing me than thats what Id guess.

coloradobuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver could trade down to the latter part of Round 1.....take Nix if he is their guy and get that extra year on his rookie contract.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I watch Terrion Arnold the more I like him.

I like him better then Kool-Aid. Also, like how coachable and how detailed oriented he is. He might be the most fundamentally sound DB in this draft.

Also, really like Ennis Raketraw. Not as high on Mitchell as some are.

Rakestraw is my Devon Witherspoon of last years draft. A guy I really liked his first few years in college when nobody else really seemed to notice and then this year he finally sky rocketed up the drat board.

I've been pretty good at finding these DB's in college. Richard Sherman, Witherspoon, Rakestraw.

Darius Robinson of Missouri intrigues me as well but I REALLY love Edgerrin Cooper.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Arnold is on the board and we reach for a QB without value it is going to be a huge letdown for me.

Imagine Arnold/Surtain together with Moss as the 3rd CB. CHA CHING!!!

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Arnold is on the board and we reach for a QB without value it is going to be a huge letdown for me.

Imagine Arnold/Surtain together with Moss as the 3rd CB. CHA CHING!!!

I think we need a pass rusher more than a 2nd CB. You can have the most talented secondary but if a quarterback has all day to throw, someone’s gonna get open.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the Broncos may do the unthinkable and trade Patrick Surtain. With the coming salary crunch - the Broncos will have difficulty re-signing PS2 - so now might be the time to redistribute PS2's talent equivalent around the roster in cheaper draft picks and save the salary cap charge of bringing him up to compensation for a tier 1 CB.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the Broncos may do the unthinkable and trade Patrick Surtain. With the coming salary crunch - the Broncos will have difficulty re-signing PS2 - so now might be the time to redistribute PS2's talent equivalent around the roster in cheaper draft picks and save the salary cap charge of bringing him up to compensation for a tier 1 CB.
While he could be traded to get to one of the top qb's, his cost won't materialize until after Wilson's dead cap money is off the books. Assuming he's released or traded.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about 25 or 26 QB class? I expect Broncos to play it safe like last 8 yrs. If Qb was set PS2 wouldn't even be discussed. With SP he isn't patient hard to believe we'd actually trade him.

Last edited:

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Payton:

“Here’s what I do know. Let’s say, hypothetically there are six or seven [quarterbacks] that are taken in the first round. How many end up hitting on? Two? So are we in love with any of them? Or do we just — if you’re not careful, you can get on this NFL van and you’re on the van and the internet and the experts and it’s like, ‘Oh this is who you’re supposed to take.’ Don’t get on the NFL van"

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Payton:

“Here’s what I do know. Let’s say, hypothetically there are six or seven [quarterbacks] that are taken in the first round. How many end up hitting on? Two? So are we in love with any of them? Or do we just — if you’re not careful, you can get on this NFL van and you’re on the van and the internet and the experts and it’s like, ‘Oh this is who you’re supposed to take.’ Don’t get on the NFL van"

I would certainly hope that a veteran coach like Sean Payton and a GM like George Paton are bright enough to not pay any attention to all the noise. I've seen Penix, Nix, Maye, Daniels and JJ all mocked to the Broncos on various sites. I'm sure the Broncos will just make their evaluations through the combine, interviews, college game tape, measureables and Pro Days. They may not love any of these guys and go with Edge, OL or CB. Draft is still a long way away.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface this by saying that if there is one thing all those who follow the draft have in common - fans, media analysts, scouts, GMs, etc - is that nobody really knows for certain, and there is no such thing as a sure thing ..

I have a ton of respect for everyone here, and by no means do I every want to put anyone off with my viewpoints ... This is the worst time of year for me and the NFL, with the hysteria of some other team still basking in the Super Bowl glow and no real news coming for weeks .... We take every little NFL nugget of interest like it is a filet mignon and asparagus dinner ( or tofu and gluten free penne for those inclined )

The upcoming draft always creates excitement and fires up the passion for the Broncos as April approaches, but there is always dread that looms for the blunders and bad decisions you feel the team might make .. They might not be accurate views, but they are our own views ..

Oh good Lord, please do not let the Broncos trade away picks and/or players to move up for Caleb Williams

I think Justin Fields is just about to hit his stride, and probably would have had Sean Payton been the guy who drafted him ... If Fields is to be dealt, I would hope the Broncos would have their ears perked ..

ANYWAYS, I happen to agree with Merrill here on Williams

“He is not something unique like a Patrick Mahomes,” Hoge said. “And I hope the Bears don’t think, ‘Well, let’s try to make up for our mistake when we passed up Patrick Mahomes and go get the Patrick Mahomes.’ This kid is not Patrick Mahomes. He ain’t even remotely close to that.”

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface this by saying that if there is one thing all those who follow the draft have in common - fans, media analysts, scouts, GMs, etc - is that nobody really knows for certain, and there is no such thing as a sure thing ..

I have a ton of respect for everyone here, and by no means do I every want to put anyone off with my viewpoints ... This is the worst time of year for me and the NFL, with the hysteria of some other team still basking in the Super Bowl glow and no real news coming for weeks .... We take every little NFL nugget of interest like it is a filet mignon and asparagus dinner ( or tofu and gluten free penne for those inclined )

The upcoming draft always creates excitement and fires up the passion for the Broncos as April approaches, but there is always dread that looms for the blunders and bad decisions you feel the team might make .. They might not be accurate views, but they are our own views ..

Oh good Lord, please do not let the Broncos trade away picks and/or players to move up for Caleb Williams

I think Justin Fields is just about to hit his stride, and probably would have had Sean Payton been the guy who drafted him ... If Fields is to be dealt, I would hope the Broncos would have their ears perked ..

ANYWAYS, I happen to agree with Merrill here on Williams

“He is not something unique like a Patrick Mahomes,” Hoge said. “And I hope the Bears don’t think, ‘Well, let’s try to make up for our mistake when we passed up Patrick Mahomes and go get the Patrick Mahomes.’ This kid is not Patrick Mahomes. He ain’t even remotely close to that.”
I kinda agree about Fields. I would hope he wouldn’t cost a first though

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Sean Payton is on record at one point in describing Caleb Williams as a "generational" prospect. We've all heard that before and maybe Payton is just playing the game. I guess we're all going to find out in the coming years.

If the price was right, I might be willing to take a flyer on Fields but to be honest, I'm quite weary of the Broncos trying to solve their issues with patchwork, free agent QB signings. I know the draft is a crap shoot but we're due to finally hit a jackpot somewhere! For God's sake, we're the Broncos of Denver, Colorado!

Okay, maybe I got a bit carried away.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like McCarthy, Penix and Nix will all work out and throw at the combine, unlike the likely top three QB prospects. Will be interesting to see how that shuffles the draft boards around.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read some articles talking about how Justin Fields doesn't really fit what Sean Payton wants at the QB spot - that Fields is more like Russ in that he rolls out and makes things happen what plays break down .. and that Fields isn't the QB to run precise timing routes and make spilt seconds reads and decisions ..

And I wholeheartedly disagree

You watch Fields and he definitely can hit the timing routes and throw the mid range slants and put it between the hash marks ... Just because Fields has fantastic running and scrambling abilities, it is unfair to assume he is limited to that ...

I know the aptitude tests like the Wonderlic need to be looked at with caution -- I think a mid-to-low Wonderlic can mean next to nothing

HOWEVER

When a guy is getting one of the highest scores ever -- I put more into that type of result .. Those tests require some very fast processing, and while a low score may not translate on the field, a super high score can absolutely be seen as a positive ...

That said, my hunch is that we end up with Nix or McCarthy in the draft

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that might be looking QB in the higher rounds could include:

- Chicago
- Washington
- New England
- NY Giants
- Atlanta
- Minnesota
- Vegas
- Denver

The second tier might include

- Seattle
- LA Rams
- Pittsburgh
- New Orleans
- Tampa Bay

I think Mayfield resigns with Tampa Bay ..... I think there are only two other free agent QBs that are potential 2024 starters - Cousins and Tannehill

Russ is a wild card

I think Fields is dealt .. I don't think Chicago keeps him ... So we have Fields most likely filling one of the QB spots for a team like Atlanta, Pittsburgh, NE, Vegas, etc

Minnesota could go with Fields and allow Cousins to go elsewhere

Does one of Cousins, Fields, Tannehill end up on a team that is ahead of us in the draft ?? ...

Right now I'm thinking if I continue writing I won;t have to go to sleep

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to be missing the point that Payton harps on every time he's interviewed. He wants to run his full offense, and he wants a qb smart enough to do it as well. And frankly, we don't have the capbspace to hope it comes in the form of a top fa qb.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to be missing the point that Payton harps on every time he's interviewed. He wants to run his full offense, and he wants a qb smart enough to do it as well. And frankly, we don't have the capbspace to hope it comes in the form of a top fa qb.
I will take a rare exception to your clear-eyed analysis - there is plenty of money for the Broncos to pay another $40 million or more for a QB on top of Wilson and other needs. This is because the current contracts are in great shape - other than Wilson - the Broncos have a shjt pile of money they could move around - the question is how much of the future are the Broncos willing to push down the road?